Grateful Dead Movie

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
¡Bueno!™

Bought the Blu-Ray and actually watched some of the commentary by the editors. Interesting. Talks a lot about the process. It took 3 years to edit!

Most interesting tid bit is they mentioned hours more of out takes! Much more back stage and construction of Wall Of Sound. More of those zany Dead Heads! Mostly already edited. Also spoke about a test run that was an hour longer with more stuff. I'd love to see an even longer version with more of that!

Such a cool movie! Like home movies of me and my friends back in the 1970s. If someone wanted to know the culture I grew up in it's well documented in this film...for better or worse. I wasn't there but me and my buddies were just like that!

I dig it as it predated the packaged Dead Head; the annoying insider culture that slowly eroded the fun. Hardly a tie dye in sight!

Still THE best rock film ever as it shares the spot light with the fans. We get to see fans POV and bands POV! More a documentary than an extended MTV video.

A sample:

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Saw that at the theatre back in the day, waaay better on the biiig screen

I used to go to all the concert movies growing up!

I remember a Hendrix triple feature; Jimi Plays Berkeley, A Film About JH and Rainbow Bridge was like a concert. Beer, joints all kinds of fun!!

Grateful Dead Movie has better sound now and if you have a good 5.1 system I wager it'll sound better at home that theater. Plus a ~3 hours of extras; 1.5 hours of straight concert footage.

57joonya

Tele-Afflicted
My friends and I watched the grateful dead movie probably 1000 times in the late 80’s early 90’s . One of my all time favorites. I’d love to see some extra footage from that

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Oh yea! The extra footage is great!

Here's a cool China Cat/Rider from it!

I love this song duo for a few reasons ( and this particular version)

- the whole piece showcases the subtle yet solid guitar talent of Bob Weir.
- He is the one playing the high-up, cool climbing lead figure in China Cat, while Jerry is singing verses

- also Bobby is doing the cool, slurry, R&B double-stops, etc., during the instrumental transition jam between the 2 songs- love it!

- and, I love 'Wolf' - IMO it's an ugly-ducking guitar, but sounds great and it seems a lot or my favorite Jerry/Dead songs were played with that guitar.

( I seem to like '70's.era Dead the best so my fave guitars are Gator Strat, Wolf, and the Travis Bean )

I just ordered this 'Wolf' to put on my blue Danelectro- what the heck!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220618-105523_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220618-105523_Chrome.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Wow that’s fantastic. I can’t believe they omitted that

Jerry messes up the lyrics! :D

The out takes/extras are; Uncle Johns Band, Sugaree, The Other One>Spanish Jam>Mind left Body> The Other One, Scarlet Begonias, China Cat/Rider, Dark Star, Weather Report Suite.

$17 on amazon

Back at it

Tele-Meister
I used to go to all the concert movies growing up!

I remember a Hendrix triple feature; Jimi Plays Berkeley, A Film About JH and Rainbow Bridge was like a concert. Beer, joints all kinds of fun!!

Grateful Dead Movie has better sound now and if you have a good 5.1 system I wager it'll sound better at home that theater. Plus a ~3 hours of extras; 1.5 hours of straight concert footage.
Nah they brought in a special sound system just for the movie lol

but good times

rave

Tele-Holic
Watching LST now, it is good, but also sad to see the self destruction involved. Back in high school late 70s, they would show the GD movie at big theaters in San Francisco that had nice sound systems and while I never went to a dead show my friends told me it was pretty much the same experience.

ce24

Poster Extraordinaire
I completely bought into the improv that they promoted so heavily...I could care less about a note for note nor am I interested in learning that style..... Take a song and make it yours with respect to the original.....

stxrus

Doctor of Teleocity
I completely bought into the improv that they promoted so heavily...I could care less about a note for note nor am I interested in learning that style..... Take a song and make it yours with respect to the original.....
I’ve been slammed for that exact sentiment

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I just designated my long time 'fun guitar' '97 Danelectro ( used on all kinds of gigs) as my Dead Danelectro!
( new stickers, I had the American Beauty one/covering round control cavity)

This is the closest I'll ever get to Jerry's 'Wolf"

Attachments

• 20220623_175211.jpg
    20220623_175211.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220623_175135.jpg
    20220623_175135.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 14

stxrus

Doctor of Teleocity
Tom Petty....I WON'T BACK DOWN! I define it as between playing songs vs playing music. You want note for note??? Play the CD!
This, to me, is the truth. I’ve been a proponent of take a song and make it your own
JJ Cale’s Cocaine is a great tune but Clapton made it his own. I’m not a big fan of Clapton after Cream (Gibson vs Fender tone) but he can make a tune his. Kudos for that