Graphics applications methods discussion

radiocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm basically looking for a simple way to transfer black letters and maybe small black graphics, but I'll welcome any general discussion about different methods.

I saw a video, can't find it anymore, where a guy just printed on a piece of paper and used water to get rid of the paper. I can't find the video anymore and don't know what type of paper it was. It wasn't waterslide, he just put water on the paper and just the black stuff stuck to the case.

Then there was one guy who used some glossy paper (not really anything for transfers) and an iron to get the graphics on the pedal. Again, only the black stuff stuck.

I'm looking for some method like the above two.

jvin248

Doctor of Teleocity

Laser printer toner is carbon black wrapped in wax.

That is what they are doing. Print on regular paper in mirror image, glue or heat transfer, disolve the paper backing away. Cover with clear spray.

Look up YouTube videos in general crafting.

tomasz

Tele-Holic
I did try water decals, but it never went well. Only later I figured, that the decal paper I got only consisted of some thin layer of gelatine, so probably I should have put a coat of sealing spray on top first. I ended up getting back to old school cut out templates, spray and hand painting with permanent markers.. maybe will try decals again at some point though ;)

Here are some of the hand painted fuzzes:
IMG_20220108_180430-01.jpeg

zippofan

Tele-Afflicted
They look great!
Waterslides give me nice graphics, I just don't trust them for long term. I have two pedals I completed in the last month or so, and I want to give them decent graphics but I hate desoldering anything in order to take it out of the box, decal, then re-solder. I have to do that for the 1590A Tube Screamer, though I should be able to avoid desoldering for the 1590B equalizer as I used a Cliff 'outie' power jack for that one.

I have tried rub on letters which are ok, but just like everything else they should have a clear coat applied. Other than pro screen printing or laser engraving (I wish!), it seems like all methods require a clear coat.

WalthamMoosical

Tele-Afflicted
Ad Free Member
Cover with clear spray.

so probably I should have put a coat of sealing spray on top first.

but just like everything else they should have a clear coat applied.

it seems like all methods require a clear coat.

That's my story too, and I'm stickin' with it.

I do recall having seen a coupla years ago on youtube a method for transferring PC board layouts to the copper board, which involved laser-printing them on glossy magazine paper, transferring to the copper (iron? I forget now), and then using acetone or some such to get rid of the paper. In that case of course the black stuff was also eventually going to get removed. As part of permanent decorating, that method too would require some protective coat.

zippofan

Tele-Afflicted
I think I saw that video too, when I was thinking about using some online board layouts from the Effects Layouts blog. I managed to find a PCB for every circuit I wanted to try though, I didn't even need to make a Vero or perf version.

zippofan

Tele-Afflicted
Hmm, I may try that with my little tube screamer build, black on clear should show up ok.
It wont work for the black enclosures I have but definitely worth a try for others.

radiocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
It's a pain to look up stuff on youtube. The most popular videos always come up, always with irrelevant results as to the method I'm looking up.

tdoty

Tele-Meister
Just shoot some 2k clear over waterslides. I have printed waterslides in reverse, then filled in selected areas with silver, white, and gold paint....just apply paint side down and clearcoat. Toner transfer works, but it can be tricky the first few times. Silkscreening isn't horribly difficult or expensive, but it can be messy.

zippofan

Tele-Afflicted
It's just a little too cold here to spray anything, and I can't spray inside. Decal making is <9 months a year around here :(