Graph Tech Piezo saddles question - help!

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by doctorjazz, Dec 15, 2019.

1. doctorjazz

doctorjazz TDPRI Member

I have a G&L ASAT (honorary Tele) with a Graph Tech piezo system which is built into the saddles. Unfortunately, a few days ago one of these saddles broke. Basically, the screw hole was a bit stripped so the luthier I use put a slightly larger screw in, and the channel broke a week or two later.

Has anyone experienced this before? I'd love to keep the piezo system as it is handy, so I was wondering if there is a way of repairing this. I have seen some suggestions of epoxy and superglue online.

The luthier is going to repair it and asked me if I could find out where exactly in the saddle the piezo is located - looks to me like it's somewhere underneath where the string passes over the saddle. Does anyone have any further knowledge about that? I've attached a picture here.

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance!

2. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Graph Tech was very responsive to a request I had a year ago. However, man those inserts have been really degraded. No way to use them properly without cutting half off?
    Why is your intonation so far off? Get a new set and move your bridge plate to the correct location? Otherwise I'd go the Fender Cast SS saddles if you must cut them like that, no way is Graph tech gonna last well...
    Also, looks like your strings rest on that sharp edge in the hole... do you break them much?
    I guess the piezo in under the bridge plate? Can't be i n the saddles unless there's a wire coming out. Weird deal for sure...

3. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Holic

The piezo element is in the front of the saddle, so you're safe to fill the void and then drill and tap it.

The best stuff for this will be JB Weld because it cures harder than typical five-minute epoxy, and it's drillable and tappable.

rangercaster likes this.
  4. doctorjazz

doctorjazz TDPRI Member

Thanks for your response. Inserts? I got this guitar in a trade so don't know what exactly was done (aftermarket piezo though, I bet). It's the original bridge plate so I assume it wasn't moved. No I never break strings. The piezo is indeed in the individual saddles, they go through holes in the bridge plate and connect in the back to a preamp.

Thank you, that's very helpful

5. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Meister

Last I checked Graphtech will sell you a single saddle. Judging by the depth those height adjustments are set at though. Have you considered shimming the neck? looks a bit excessive to me.

6. doctorjazz

doctorjazz TDPRI Member

With a piezo? That would be very handy if repairing the saddle doesn't work. Shimming it to bring the saddles down is it? Yes the luthier mentioned break angle as an issue when I brought it in. I may look into that. Thank you for your advice

7. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Meister

Yes they sell a preamp as well. Called a Ghost. Also has an add on called a Hexpander for a 13 pin Midi set up for use with a guitar synth. Bit on the spendy side though. I installed the Ghost Hexpander in a build several years ago. Nice stuff, and works better than the Roland or RMS stuff.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.