GRANT miniseries on History Channel

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Buckocaster51, May 29, 2020.

1. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Watched all three episodes last night.

Growing up 60 miles from his pre-civil war home in Galena IL he has always been part of my life. Most of what we saw on the screen was a rehash if things I had previously known, until they got to the Battle of the Wilderness. Wow!

Cloodie likes this.
  2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I was gonna watch, until I saw that Leonardo DiCaprio was Executive Producer. I know, I may not be fair, but three hours of my life is important to me. (besides, Thursday night is Mystery shows on my local PBS station.)

3. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

I'm with you. Last vacation in Belize our tour boat that took us from our hotel to the beach went right by an island that DiCaprio owns. And he didn't even invite me in for a cold one!

The nerve of some people.

And i've heard good things about that Grant special. Is is as good and the Civil War film by Ken Burns?

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Not on par with Ken Burns. Many CGI soldiers and lots of blood whereas Burns used archival images. Some of those in the Grant series, but that is all Burns uses. Interviews were good.

elihu likes this.
  5. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I've only watched the first two episodes. Don't spoil it by telling me how it ends... :D

Vicksburg was particularly interesting to me since I had one ancestor on the Confederate side who died of disease in the siege and another one who was on the Union side carrying out the siege.

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I think it was great. Grant doesn't get near enough kudos. McClellen and (?) were a couple of wimps sitting on their hands and I've read that many times. It's absolutely amazing how close the Revolutionary War and the Civil War were to different outcomes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.