Granddaughter bags her first deer!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dented, Nov 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Tele-Meister

Take it up with this guy?

soulman969 and 3fngrs like this.
  2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Tele-Meister

Do you know what I think of the OP? I think he is a proud grandpa. The same as millions of other grandpas would be in this country, in this same situation. And I see a bunch of people attacking him, calling him and anyone who congratulated him an A hole and calling his granddaughter a murderer. How very tolerant of you guys, almost all of whom are speaking without the benefit of an education that could be gleaned from a cursory Google search.

3. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I live in a zone that has no restrictions on how many deer (doe) you can harvest during the season. They are laying along the sides of the roads everywhere. We have that many.

dented and Floyd Eye like this.
  4. hatrack

hatrack TDPRI Member

‘Small girl’? Are you kidding me? She’s a 19 year old college sophomore (as stated by the OP). You persist in referring to this as ‘wildlife biology’. It’s blood sport. Pure and simple. You are pro-hunting, I get that. Is there anything in your mind that can appreciate how a picture of a young woman posing next to an animal that she has just slaughtered would cause offence to some people? Just out of interest, what is your view on the (widely publicised) photograph of the sons of the current US President posing with the leopard that they shot whilst ‘big game hunting’ in Africa?
    (Regarding my use of the word ‘limey’ - it was my attempt to try and make this discussion a little less ‘hostile’. I’m not aware that the term has any disrespectful connotations but if it has then I humbly apologise).

5. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Tele-Meister

A deer heard doubles in size in ideal conditions in 2 years. The number of deer in this country is staggering.

soulman969 and dented like this.
  6. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Shooting dolphins is illegal, so there should be a minimal sense of outrage about that. From my work in the field, these shootings are almost invariably inflicted by commercial fisherman. Also, the photo you are referring to is quite sterile in comparison to the one that sparked this conversation and there's no one smiling over the corpse like they achieved something extraordinary. She culled a deer (an over populated species) with a high powered rifle, not much of an achievement. If she had dragged it to the ground and broke its neck with her bare hands, I would be impressed, but like you said, she's a "small girl" with a big gun.

7. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

If the argument is that there are too many of them, I hope, for the sake of the Chinese, you never visit China! :-D

EDIT: Preemptively, I hope you all understand I am kidding and there is no need for a counter-argument.

8. Bones

I see what you did there.

Floyd Eye likes this.
  9. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Tele-Meister

I should have said young girl.

I disagree that it is blood sport and find that laughable.

I am not and do not approve of trophy hunting. There is a difference between some jerk in a picture with an elephant or a tiger and a picture of a proud hunter with an animal that was harvested, needed to be harvested and will be consumed.

soulman969 and HappyHwy1owner like this.
  10. HappyHwy1owner

HappyHwy1owner Tele-Meister

hatrack has 5 posts to his name, and all on this thread. Kinda weird :eek:

Modman68 and blues bondsman like this.
  11. Bones

The hunters with the elephants always claim that they are true conservationists, killing the ones that need to be killed and that the local villages benefit from the meat and the money that the permits bring in.

Floyd Eye likes this.
  12. Bones

sometimes it takes a lot to get people to come out of their shell.

Harry Styron likes this.
  13. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Tele-Meister

I agree with some of this. I personally gave up hunting with scoped rifles many years ago and am very specific about which deer I take, none of which are trophy bucks by the way. Nevertheless, these animals need to be managed. It is our duty and responsibility to be shepherds to the lower order of animals on this planet. The fact is that the most effective way to do this and the way which causes the least amount of suffering to the animal, particularly with regards to the public at large, is with a scoped, high powered rifle.

14. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Congrats to your granddaughter, Dented! You should be proud of her. I taught my girls to hunt and fish as they were growing up. They are both independent, intelligent and fine ladies with kids of their own now and I couldn't be a prouder papa.

15. Johnson johnson

Johnson johnson Tele-Holic

Given the choice between feeding my family with meat I've seen to myself vs. what is offered at the local grocery wrapped in styrofoam and cellophane and shipped in from who knows where I'll be choosing the former.

As far as the pic goes I don't see an issue, you get worse than that in most PG-13 movies out there.

Congrats to your granddaughter btw, sorry for the reactions it's caused...

soulman969, Toto'sDad, 3fngrs and 3 others like this.
  16. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Tele-Meister

The people in Africa kill these animals for money. And there actually is a component of conservation to much of Africa's laws governing game hunting. That said it is my opinion that anyone posing with an elephant they killed is an A hole. There are very few legitimate reasons to kill elephants, tigers, lions, rhinos, etc.. Most of these animals are seriously endangered. I think these populations should be protected by armed conservationists and in some cases they are. Poaching is a serious crime and should carry very serious penalties.

soulman969, hatrack and Snowbird like this.
  17. Fireball519

Fireball519 Tele-Meister

Congrats to your granddaughter! As far as graphic pictures goes I think the scariest horror movie thread has more graphic pictures than this and it's still being posted on. Food for thought.

soulman969, Doctorx33, dented and 2 others like this.
  18. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Might as well shut down the forum then

19. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

Well... movies are not real. And with that thought, I ran out of food for any more.

20. Fireball519

Fireball519 Tele-Meister

But they still can be found disturbing and offensive. The way I see it is this thread has turned into a bunch of people up in arms over a congratulatory situation

soulman969, dented and Floyd Eye like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.