1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Grammy - Grohl on music

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by uriah1, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Stratburst - he just needs to go away for awhile.

You also have to realize that, of the people on your list , I see quite a few older musicians.

Now, older musicians will often play w/ hotter, very in-demand contemporary artists to make themselves seem more current and re-position themselves in the public consciousness.

Happens all the time.

I like him best as a drummer. I also think, as someone else has pointed out, that w/ the exception of a tune here or there, after the 1st three "Foo Fighters albums" (1st 2 are basically solo records) it has dropped off precipitously.

That happens all the time too. (look at QOTSA who I much prefer for another example).

Blazer - I'm just mad that I didn't grab one of the Trini/335-types when they were waaay undervalued like Grohl did.

The "stealing models" has been going on forever though because obviously the fancy Trini is a Barney Kessel !

2. winny pooh

winny pooh Friend of Leo's

Gonna go with Mike here, Dave blows my mind as a drummer (inlovewiththemcrookedvultures & was listening to "no one knows" tonight and it kicks azz) but his songs & lyrics are just a but meh. "All my life" was the best of the stuff he has done but the rest is not really ballsy enough.

3. PaddyWagon

PaddyWagon Tele-Meister

Grohl is a great example of the power of a person who really loves and becomes what they do. I think that the point to his diatribe is not that computers are bad, it's that Music comes from the person and that no amount of tuning and tweaking will replace that. (or so I translate internally from drummer-speak to English).

4. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

How many more dues does Grohl have to pay before people take him seriously?

People have been complaining about the Foo Fighters since they emerged but I thank Grohl for keeping it up, there was a big gap when Kurt Cobain died and he stepped in, people don't even associate him with being in Nirvana anymore although the music still has a LOT of Nirvana in it. Although it's more evident in their early stuff.

Note Pat playing the Gibson Barney Kessel.

"The Color and the shape" and "There's nothing left to lose" are two of my all time favorite albums and I love what they did on "Wasting light."

All their music comes from their hearts and whatever they thought was cool would end up on the record. Heck some of their best stuff was never released as a single let alone played live.

Ask me what my favorite Foo Fighters song is and I'll reply "Gimme Stitches"

5. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

?? So he shouldn't play a particular guitar because it might drive up the value of it?

Interesting.

6. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

+1

7. mlove3

mlove3 Tele-Afflicted

Hold on, I think we have the new John Mayer.

I think Grohl is talented and he does what he does well and, probably more importantly, consistently.

I don't see why he has to badmouth other music, other than attempting to smooth down the fur of his diehard indie cred purist fans who might be alarmed that he's seen in the same room with Taylor Swift and Bruno Mars.

oohh, the Slayer t-shirt, way to keep it real D.

8. speedy mcfeely

speedy mcfeely Tele-Holic

I think it's so great when the same dudes on guitar forums hammer the young guys for not "getting" the Highwaymen, or George Jones, are the same ones who hammer Dave Grohl. Make up your minds.
    Dave is making great rock music in a time when it's not fashionable and garnering success. You should embrace the Dave's Grohl and support them. Or you will end up with the Lady's Gaga and the Justin's Bieber.
    IMHO Dave was right on. Make music, not product.

9. jonzer

jonzer Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dave Grohl was real high on Adele. I don't think he's just sticking up for one type of music, but how music is made.

"Echoes, Silence, Patience and Grace" almost lost me as a fan. I couldn't believe reviews that said it was their best album, or fans who said that. I noticed since it came out, women tell me they love it and guys not so much. I hated it, and they're really my favorite band.

"Colour And The Shape" is their best album, and basically their debut as a band. The first album was a solo effort, and it totally rocked. The new album, "Wasting Light", is incredible. There's really only two songs on it I consider filler.

Before I thought Grohl's crutch was bringing in more musicians and trying to make his rock band into an orchestra. Now that he's scaled it back again, I think his only crutch is his motto "don't bore us, get to the chorus" and he tries to bring in a big arena sing along chorus for each song. I think that's cool, but not every time. It's like swinging for the fence with each at bat.

No matter what you will think of the next album, go see them in concert. They are unbelievable and probably the best big touring band in existence right now.

10. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I'm definitely not one of those people. Also, last I checked it's not mandatory to like Dave Grohl or the Foo Fighters. I consider the Foo Fighters to be (maybe) a little better than Nickelback. :twisted:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.