Grammy Award Noms...Cyndi Lauper "Best Traditional Blues" ?..

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by JohnK24, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Rooney

Rooney Tele-Meister

In the past I haven't cared about Eminem at all but his newest record is incredible. It's not the same punk attitude, it's actually pretty well thought out and the songs are incredible. Dismissing something before checking it out is never any good. It's worth at least a moment of your time.

2. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

XM Blueville was giving creds to CL on the way home today. Also bemoaning Bettye LaVette singing Brit Rock songs being in the Blues category. Gotta say I agree with that as just some way to promote an artist.

3. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

I'm another BIG fan of Cee Lo Green, that record is just plain great. And yep, Cyndi Lauper did a killer job, too.

Tim

4. Twangmeister

Twangmeister Tele-Afflicted

+1! Just a killer hook with killer performance and production to match.

5. elicross

elicross Poster Extraordinaire

The Grammys aren't just about rock, so the (purely imagined) death of rock doesn't have much effect on the Grammys' relevance. :p

I don't think the Grammy Awards are a joke; they honor some great music, and they honor a lot of music that I don't happen to care for, but that lots of other people love. I quit watching years ago, though, when I realized I hadn't heard most of the major nominees -- and hadn't heard *of* some of 'em. It'd be like watching a Super Bowl played by two teams I'd never heard of. I'm content to see the results later in the paper or on the TV news. There are always at least a couple of pleasant surprises, when it turns out an album or song I've heard and enjoyed won something.

And I do occasionally check out a big winner's music. Years ago, when I saw all those photos of a pretty, young woman weighed down by a literal armload of Grammy Awards, I thought "Maybe I should give this Norah Jones a listen." And I became a big fan.

6. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

I watched both Cee Lo and Cyndi and thought they were pretty good live on Jools Hollands friday bash .Ceelo's pink zoot suit and and matching girls ,mercifully a lot thinner than he was,were brilliant .

7. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Cyndi is perfectly entitled to switch and mix genres as much as she likes. She's showcasing blues on national TV, which i like.

Tough to go against Jimmie, though............

8. elicross

Lauper's blues album is actually pretty good. I was never crazy about her upbeat pop stuff, like "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" or "She Bop," but I always liked her ballads -- "Time After Time" is very good, and "True Colors" is great.

She's a talented singer, and she seems to have a real appreciation for the material on Memphis Blues. She's not "slumming" in somebody else's genre or doing it as a lark -- which is maybe why she's nominated for a Traditional Blues Grammy. More power to her.

9. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

In my opinion the best Award show I ever saw on TV was the 1990 AMA where Slash and Duff McKagan were wreaking havoc.

The censors couldn't capture Slash' profanity fast enough.

10. BGTele

BGTele Tele-Afflicted

Cyndi is an American treasure. It's amazing how many people she's reached and touched with her music. Most of us can only dream of having her musical ability. I saw her play electric slide dulcimer playing blues. Besides her ballads which are some of the best stuff ever produced in the last 50 years, I love her video, "Money Changes Everything". Best video ever.

11. Martin-Tele

Martin-Tele Tele-Meister

This is nice I'm glade Cyndi Lauper made this Album

Here's a little Esquire fun

12. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's

Alright, this thread has sold me Cyndi's Memphis album!

13. tiktok

tiktok Poster Extraordinaire

14. tjalla

tjalla Friend of Leo's

C-Lo is a freakin' great vocalist. His studio take of Crazy is awesome, but he kills it even live. F*** you, while not my fave, is a catchy tune.

I saw Cindy Lauper on Letterman, with Allen Toussaint. Band was great, but IMO didn't think much of her blues performance. I was hoping the other clips above were better - they weren't, sorry. If she beats Jimmie to a grammy... i'd have no words.

15. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

Jeez - I'm sure I'm not supposed to have a crush on Cyndi Lauper again... dangit...

16. elicross

I've always found her strangely attractive. She looks and speaks like a Kewpie Doll from Coney Island...like a Brooklyn chippie in a Marx Brothers movie...but she's funny...she digs the blues, and she co-writes and sings a song like "Time After Time"...what's not to like?

17. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

To many who know there is no set artist/genre musical 'rule' she's allowed to do daggone anything she want, especially since she carries the Miles Davis card instead of a 1980's handicap sticker.

(he did "Time After Time")

/

18. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

I have no time for the cliquishness of blues traditionalists. That said, I'd rather her make another really good pop album like "She's So Unusual." But, if this is what she wants to do, more power to her. She's a great singer.

19. JohnK24

JohnK24 Friend of Leo's

Sorry, I've watched all the videos here with Cyndi doing "her blues" and I just don't hear it...there is nothing in her voice/delivery that says "blues" to me. I guess it's the power of marketing an MTV legend....ymmv. I'll take Susan Tedeschi any day of the week...plus she can PLAY.

20. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Lauper in the mid nineties.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.