1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Gram Parsons

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Dan R, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

A good friend of mine turned me on to Gram back in the 80's. I had heard of him, and knew he was a good songwriter, but my friend made me understand and appreciate his greatness. Gram was a monster talent and largely overlooked. I hope you enjoy this bit of film outlining his life.

xafinity, suthol and brogh like this.
  2. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

right on- thanks for posting this

3. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Thank you, I enjoyed that concise video on Gram. Surprised, It closes saying he is not in the Country Music HOF. ?

4. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Afflicted

A huge talent. Love the FBB.

Oddly enough, I'm planning to watch the comedy about the story of his death and last wishes at film night tonight. Irreverent I know, but hey...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0338075/

5. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

The story of his death and 'burial' by his well-meaning roadie and friend is morbidly fascinating.....

6. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Dacious- would you please care to elaborate on that.

7. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry- I had not watched the video- it explains it all. I knew he played with Keith and the Stones.
    We don't have strictly country music here, even though I live in a state like Texas, cattle country in the interior, and down south. But country rock is widely accepted.

BTW thanks Dan R for posting Gram's sad story.

Dan R and TexasTim like this.
  8. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Afflicted

richiek65 likes this.
  9. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

He was a black sheep to his establishment mother and stepfather. Wanted nothing to do with them, horrified they'd give him a meaningless funeral ignoring his legacy. He died of morphine and alcohol overuse. Keef was a good friend - Wild Horses was allegedly virtually co-written and Parsons is supposed to have played on it. The coroner said Parsons had enough morphine in his system to kill three adults, Keef said he should have understood the risk, combined with alcohol. Missed out on the 27 Club by months.

His producer and friend 'kidnapped' his body, evaded police pursuit, and tried to cremate him at The Joshua Tree National Park CA in accordance with Gram's stated wishes - by pouring 5 gallons of gasoline in the coffin and torching it.

Unfortunately they underestimated the heat required.... There was no law in CA against body stealing so Kauffman was fined $750 for theft of the coffin and the memorial stone was removed. If you go there, tour guides will talk about it on request.

In a complete realisation of his nightmare, the charred remains of Gram's body was interred in the family plot in a private memorial devoid of any music industry identities; or anyone important to him in life - rumour has it, because he was buried in his home state his stepfather inherited a considerable estate.

He's also responsible for mentoring Emmy Lou-Harris and having a hand in the Stone Ponies, Linda Ronstadt link.

10. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Phil Kaufman was Gram's road manager and body thief. His book "Road Mangler Deluxe" is his story. It's a great read.

Besides seeing the original line up of the FBB, I was really into Gram when "Grievous Angel" came out and was in a band with a steel player and a female singer doing a lot of Gram/Emmylou duets. At some point I got real sick of broken-hearted country ballads and went in a different direction and didn't listen to him for years. I think he sometimes get more credit then he deserves as the grandfather of Americana and all, but he was important in the history. And he brought Emmylou Harris to my attention for which I'll be forever grateful.

Dan R and gee. like this.
  11. SomeVelvetMorning

SomeVelvetMorning Tele-Meister

ah, I love Gram

Dan R likes this.
  12. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

Grievous Angel.

Didn't Phil Kaufman sign "Mickey Mouse" when he hijacked the body for the airport?

mnutz and Dan R like this.
  13. gee.

gee. Tele-Meister

I've listened to Gram Parsons for many years. His music is amazing and I love his voice but I always thought the guy was kind of a poser. After reading Keith's book, it confirmed it for me.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    Dan R and RodeoTex like this.
  14. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

I've read that Kaufman signed "Philip Nobody"...

15. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Gram was certainly a pioneer when it comes to making country music acceptable to rock audience's. As far as him getting MORE credit than he deserves, this is utter nonsense, we are entitled to our opinions, but....was there anybody recording country rock before the International Submarine Band, no there wasn't.....it's such a tragedy that we only have the ISB, FBB's and his two WB's albums. I have a wonderful bootleg of Gram doing demos with Rik Gretsch, and there are bedroom rehearsal songs with Gram and Emmylou....wonderful stuff....Gram was a true original. It was only natural that Gram and Keith became friends...they both enjoyed the same indulgence's.....certainly Wild Horses was a great recording....it featured Memphis legend James Luther Dickinson on piano....Gram is sorely missed....I often wonder how he might have developed....it was always so sad to me that when country rock really became a viable direction, and folks like the Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, Poco, Loggins and Messina, the whole California singer/songwiter's scene that included the likes of Jackson Browne, J.D.Souther and the Eagles and the guy that opened the door for all of those folks, Gram Parsons, was not there to enjoy the open arms of the record industry of those times....simply my opinions, ymmv......

RJ

richiek65, ValDiaz, mnutz and 4 others like this.
  16. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

The greatness of Gram cannot be ignored.

mnutz likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.