1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Graham Coxon of Blur - '52 Reissue pickups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Brogues, Nov 2, 2020.

1. Brogues

Brogues TDPRI Member

Can someone please put me out of my misery?! I have tried for many years (and failed) to establish what Graham's '52 Reissue pickups are. I have picked up over the years that his guitar tech said the stock pups were replaced with more modern-voiced / powerful ones. I've read they were possibly Seymour Duncans or possibly 51 Nocaster CS but I am not convinced? Either way, from photos they do not have raised pole pieces or text on them to help with identification.

The tone from 25secs in on the following video (which is middle position) is what I am after

Can anyone identify them from the youtube clip above or those below?

Bridge pickup from 26 secs in:

Middle position:

Any help appreciated!

2. Willy-son

Willy-son Tele-Meister

I see the replies are flooding in! ;) Very few people on this board know who Graham Colon is, unfortunately. I remember reading an interview with him years ago saying he uses a late 80s 52 reissue with Bareknuckle pickups. I could be wrong though.

Brogues likes this.
  3. this_grackle

this_grackle TDPRI Member

Sorry, I cannot help, but I’m really excited to see a Blur-related post.

Mike Eskimo and Brogues like this.
  4. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

What amp you got?. sounds like a fairly stock telecaster sound with a bit of raggedy amp dirt and some pedals. My tele into my old Marshall JMP got that vibe. That has the slightly warmer/hotter broadcaster type pickups. Various makers do similar spec options,

What tele do you have now? What is it not doing for you tonewise?

5. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

His signature model from 2011 appears to probably have a regular '52 Reissue pickup in the bridge and an SD humbucker in the neck:

https://aboutguitars.uk/?p=284

Brogues likes this.
  6. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic

It has a gloss urethane finish, rosewood fingerboard with 9.5” radius and 21 medium jumbo frets, Seymour Duncan® ’59 SH-1 humbucking neck pickup with black bezel, vintage-style single-coil Telecaster bridge pickup, three-position switch with “top hat” tip, knurled chrome knobs on 375k volume and tone pots that contribute to brighter sound from both pickups, tortoiseshell pickguard, vintage-style Telecaster bridge with three threaded steel saddles, chrome hardware, vintage-style tuners, ’70s-style headstock decal and Coxon’s signature on the back of the headstock.

That volume pot being 375K is going to be as significant as your bridge pickup choice.

Brogues and losador like this.
  7. Brogues

Brogues TDPRI Member

Ah cool, well remembered! I don’t suppose you recall which magazine you read that in do you?

8. Brogues

Brogues TDPRI Member

I’m almost there with the tone and the Marshall SV20c and stock 52 reissue pups big they sound slightly weaker than Graham’s pickups. Thanks for your reply.

9. Brogues

Brogues TDPRI Member

Apparently bare knuckle pickups company formed in 2003 so Graham’s pickups in the late 90s pre-date them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.