1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Grafting a body onto a Steinberger copy

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Peltogyne, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Peltogyne

Peltogyne Friend of Leo's

I've always had a thing for headless, less smacking into things, they stay in tune forever, smaller cases etc... But there aren't too many choices in headless 5 string basses without getting into custom prices. So I nabbed a Hohner copy that looks like this one.

[​IMG]

It met most of my needs but I couldn't deal with the lack of a body so I trimmed the little stump of a body it had and squared it up right at the edge of the bridge route and glued on some new wings.

[​IMG]

Photobombed by one of my tele's.

2. Peltogyne

So far so good (after a handful of fixes) but now I can't decide if I want to round over the front edges and go for a smooth flowing body or leave it squared and do a faux binding effect.

I'm also thinking of trying to work in some sparkles somehow. Here's a quick mockup of a seafoam colored sparkle front with a silver faux binding.

[​IMG]

Any suggestions?

Since the neck is 3 pieces of soft maple I'm thinking of doing the neck in a clear satin and the back of the bass in a non sparkled solid but I keep changing my mind.

3. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Sparkles on a headless - haven't seen that before. I'm a big headless fan, so whatever you do will be fine by me.

4. Peltogyne

I finished this months ago so here's a few wrap up photos. First a shot of the back "ebonized" before finishing.

[​IMG]

5. Peltogyne

I made a complete mess of the finish on this one, ended up making the back completely black. I had a little fun and made an aluminum backplate with oversized screws in brass inserts.

[​IMG]

6. Peltogyne

And from the front.

[​IMG]

7. Peltogyne

This is the first build I've used mahogany and I've had the wood for 25 years just waiting for something. Wow, I see why builders like mahogany. It works so nicely and quickly. I've just never been a fan of the look or the weight.

The bass plays very nice but it's going to get refinished. I used General Finishes water based poly/acrylic and in an attempt to avoid witness lines I wet sanded or steel wooled between most coats. This slightly clouded each layer and killed the sparkles. And the witness lines that are so obvious during wet sanding disappear in the polish, so it was all for naught.

But overall I'm pretty happy, I have a comfortable headless that's a blast to play.

8. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

That's a great job! I'll have to take your word for it that the finish doesn't look so nice up close - it sure looks fine in your pic. I bet that hangs around your neck balanced so nicely with no neck dive at all, since there's no headstock.

Again - very nice - and it's unique!!

Rex

9. Peltogyne

Thanks Rex. There is no neck dive at all, it actually has a touch of body side dive, the neck wants to go up.

The finish, besides the clouding of the layers over the sparkles, also had a failed attempt at a faux binding using pearl powder in clear. Since I'm brushing it on it never smoothed out enough. If I try that again I'll get a Preval or something. It was worth a try, you can't screw up if you don't try.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.