Gracey's Dark Sherwood Green is a winner!

Sea Devil

Friend of Leo's
I'm pretty impressed with this color, which is both much greener and slightly bluer in person. I used between two-thirds and three-quarters of a can on top of white Mohawk Primer Sealer and shot gloss Mohawk Ultra-Flo Ultra Bond on top. Due for hand-buffing tomorrow.

I stripped, sanded, and primed the body, formerly green sparkle from MJT, last weekend. Today I picked up more Primer Sealer and finessed the undercoat, then shot color and clear. It took a total of six or seven hours. I try to avoid sanding after the undercoat, but I hit the color coat with some 3600 before shooting the clear. It didn't mess up the "flop" of the metallic (really pearlescent) finish at all.

It may need a little gentle sanding with Micro-Mesh (especially the edges, which of course got a little extra to prevent burning through) prior to buffing, but I'm done until I can see it in natural light.

D89023C4-C026-43C3-A811-44148FBF2296.jpeg
40BA704A-B086-44C2-948A-F2756E938630.jpeg

Sea Devil

Friend of Leo's
It's definitely green. I look forward to taking some photos in bright sunlight.

BTW, the cap was pretty mediocre. i replaced it with an extra-fat Montana cap. That made it easy to avoid the stripey effect that metallics are prone to. I still had to play with the distance from the piece a lot to get even dispersal of the metallics; sometimes I was almost two feet away.

Last edited:

El Tele Lobo

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm pretty impressed with this color, which is both much greener and slightly bluer in person. I used between two-thirds and three-quarters of a can on top of white Mohawk Primer Sealer and shot gloss Mohawk Ultra-Flo Ultra Bond on top. Due for hand-buffing tomorrow.

I stripped, sanded, and primed the body, formerly green sparkle from MJT, last weekend. Today I picked up more Primer Sealer and finessed the undercoat, then shot color and clear. It took a total of six or seven hours. I try to avoid sanding after the undercoat, but I hit the color coat with some 3600 before shooting the clear. It didn't mess up the "flop" of the metallic (really pearlescent) finish at all.

It may need a little gentle sanding with Micro-Mesh (especially the edges, which of course got a little extra to prevent burning through) prior to buffing, but I'm done until I can see it in natural light.

View attachment 1038109 View attachment 1038110
That’s a gorgeous color indeed.

ahiddentableau

Tele-Afflicted
It can be cool looking. I once got to play a Sherwood Green Metallic AVRI Jazzmaster. I didn't think I liked green on a guitar but that one looked fantastic.

Sea Devil

Friend of Leo's
A stumble in the finishing process: a tiny white dot of unknown origin! Sanded back and got rid of it, did a quick spot repair to fix the "flop," and all was well. Then the cap on my clear elected to spit, and I had to redo the whole back with a light dust coat of color. More clear with a new cap, and I'll be back to where I was.

(EDIT: The touch-up went smoothly; all is well.)

Last edited:

Sea Devil

Friend of Leo's
Hand-buffing... and buffing... and buffing... With a freshly applied finish, it's easy to overdo it. Better to do it for a little while, pause when tired/bored, and then hit it again than to try for the perfect shine in one shot. Spray can labels are starting to be legible in the reflections.

Last edited:

Sea Devil

Friend of Leo's
It currently has a maple cap neck and a white pickguard. I think this color would be better with a t=rosewood or ebony board, but that's not likely to change. The owner may opt for another pickguard, though; I think a black or tortoise-shell, either three-ply or one-ply, might look better.

Sea Devil

Friend of Leo's
There will be a tiny bit of finessing along that edge... I'm going to string up up and play it, with intermittent spasms of detail buffing based on what a player would notice while holding it.