1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Grace Potter & The Nocturnals = Awesome

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by dablues, Jun 16, 2012.

1. dablues

dablues Tele-Meister

I first saw this band opening for Gov't Mule, and they totally blew me away. Ms. Potter has a great voice and the band plays together so well that. Was subsequently disappointed by the endless guitar wanking-feast that was Mule. GPN was MUCH less self-indulgent. Energetic, classic, but unique.

Trust me, if you want some new but classic rock & roll, pick up their eponymous album from a few years ago and also their new one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYUmciFlvWA&sns=em

2. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Friend of Leo's

(Warning: overused cliche ahead)

While I did like the rock of the last album, I liked Grace before the makeover from the big label. I'll go for a talented hippie chick behind a B3 anyday.

Having Catherine Popper in the band for that record and tour was great too, the extra female voice added a lot.

(oh, and Warren's a guitar player and Mule is his vehicle to rock, what else would you expect? ;))

3. NightBoss

NightBoss TDPRI Member

have loved her and the Nocturnals since hearing "Nothing but the Water" in 2005.

4. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

I have always liked them but after seeing storytellers I have a deeper appreciation. They are a great band and it is not too often I hear 2 guitar player play that well together. It really sounds great and she is dynomite. Love love love her voice and style...love her looks too.

5. tlimbert65

tlimbert65 Tele-Afflicted

Saw them at Saturday in the Park in Sioux City, Iowa last summer, and man, they were awesome! Grace is like a white Tina Turner.

6. colorado

colorado Tele-Holic

It sounds like they are really great live. Their records don't do much for me. Are they a "you gotta see them live" kind of band?

7. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

I like their song Ah Mary

8. greggorypeccary

They do "rock." But the arrangements are pretty much like the records, just played with more energy as you'd expect. In other words, if the songs don't do anything for you on record, not sure if seeing them live would really change your mind.

9. dablues

dablues Tele-Meister

Well, I guess I was just disappointed in Mule not because of the musicianship, which was impeccable, but because of my own prejudices. I feel that the best music is accessible to everyone, not just musician nerds like me. That's why I like GPN, and I even like their "sellout" last few records especially, because they were trying to break new, albeit poppy, ground, while remaining accessible.

10. dablues

dablues Tele-Meister

Well, I just read an interesting thread over on The Gear Page, full of people angry at GPN for "selling out". Here's what I wrote, and I think it applies to so many of us:

I get so so tired of people saying that a band was better before they were popular. True, the old GPN I saw when they were touring with Gov't Mule (a guitar wankery festival band if I ever saw one, did they ever think about playing for people who AREN'T total music nerds?) was awesome and tight yet loose and all that good old stuff.

But let's face it: we're not in the '60s anymore, or even the '70s for that matter. Endless soloing and calling back to that older music (which I still consider to be my favorite music, the old rock and soul music of the '60s) won't keep a band going anymore, and how artistically revolutionary is it anyway? I'd rather see a good band like GPN try to get a little poppier, a little more modern any day, rather than see it stagnate, playing for all the old grey hairs and former hippies and roadies (my kind of people, admittedly, even though I'm pretty young) and fade out into obscurity.

I'm not advocating a total remake of the band. I'm not saying this whole fakey sex-kitten vibe is a good thing that Grace has done. I'm just saying that I'm happy to see a band bring good influences into poppier music, rather than look at it as half-empty (a good band watering down their music).

I have many friends and family who have tried to make it in the biz, and who have gotten close many a time, myself included. The only reason they never make it, turning into bitter, self-aggrandizing, self-justifying has-beens, is because they refuse to make any concessions to become more popular.

Guess who makes you famous? People. Guess what "popular" means? People like you, a LOT of people. I love the guitar wankery of Gov't Mule, but they'll never be truly "popular" like a GPN trying to make a few concessions to those audience member who aren't total music nerds like all of us here.

Face it: we're all jealous, and we need to get over it.

11. greggorypeccary

I thought what I was reading on TGP looked familiar! Can we have a conversation in two places? :D

I'll address a different point here. I think the best music is the music the artist wants to make. If 10 people dig it or 10,000,000 people dig it, it doesn't matter. I've been listening to Mule since day one because I like the music they make and the songs Warren writes. The thousands of fans cheering them on the other night is a pretty good indication that they are pretty popular anyways.

Would it be better if they changed their sound to try and become more popular? Even if they did, it wouldn't matter, since they aren't cute enough to be pushed by the machine anyways.

As I said, I like Grace (just the old Grace better), she is the real thing, and I hate to be totally cynical and call "sell out", but the drastic change in looks and sound when they hooked up with a big label was a bit much. I'm glad for their success, but that doesn't mean I have to buy the record - I've got plenty of other bands to listen to. Not jealousy - just personal taste.

And I still wonder how long it will be before she "goes solo."

12. mistermullens

mistermullens Poster Extraordinaire

I love GPN, and have seen them countless times since 2006. Even braved a rare snow storm in January a couple of years ago to see them for like $10 at Smith's Old Bar. I really love them in the more intimate venues, because they really like to connect to their audience. I've got all of their albums, and bootlegs, there's plenty on archive.org BTW, and love the album before The Lion, The Beast, The Beat. Still, the verdict is still out on TLTBTB, it just might be a little too 80s for me. There are songs I liked right away, but the more I listen the less I like it. Didn't stop me from buying tickets for October and I still love them. I do need to give the newest album it's fair shake.

One of my favorite things about GPN is that they're a band that my wife and I both love, and can see together. Instant date night.

BTW, check out Blues & Lasers. Its basically the Nocturnals but with an extra drummer and different bass player. They kick some serious butt.

Oh, one more thing. I expect to see more Blues and Lasers stuff since I am convinced Grace will do one of those solo Nashville-Country albums without the Nocturnals. Personally, I think she would be foolish to do that. The Nocturnals are players, and could handle it no problem. Probably come out better too.

13. dablues

dablues Tele-Meister

Thanks for the music suggestion, mistermullens. I'll give them a listen straight away...

I understand the argument that the best music comes from within, from a true artistic stance. However, all I have to say is this: Motown. If a more contrived, factory-pop situation has ever existed, I'd be amazed, and yet the music was SOOOOO good.

I'm just of the mind that I like to see my ninth grade students actually like GPN when I play it, and their last album did that. I view it as a gateway drug; the recent album is watered down, but still has those influences, and maybe it can get them hooked on the other stuff. Nothing wrong with 'dumbing it down' once in a while, or else you're just singing to yourself.

14. Jim W

Jim W Friend of Leo's

I liked Nothing but the water, after that not so much. I like Govt. Mule but Warren Haynes plays way to much - does he know what empty space is.

15. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

Grace is yum-yum!

16. JohnK24

JohnK24 Friend of Leo's

How can anyone slag on Warren Haynes ? Geesh..."plays too much" ? Don't get me started on Gatton, JoeBo and the guys who play to only other guitar players - those two knew/know nothing about space....sorry

Check out Warren Haynes Band, not Mule for something VERY different.

GP&N - killer act, seen them live several times, "Big White Gate" is a classic.

17. dablues

dablues Tele-Meister

I hope no one thinks that I think that Warren Haynes is a bad player - he's clearly awesome and a very nice man to boot. I just prefer space in my playing, like someone else said. There was a time that I liked the stuff he played, and I still respect it, but I'm just on a Booker T & the MG's kick, so therefore kind of into "less is more". No disrespect meant.

18. EasyEB

EasyEB Tele-Meister

Difference is that Motown put out tons of great song. Pop as they were, they were great songs. The new GPN is not is the same realm as GPN's best stuff let alone Motown.

19. greggorypeccary

True dat.

Pop does not equal bad. Good songs are good songs.

20. ASC67

ASC67 Friend of Leo's

I dig this one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.