Grace Potter and Joe Satriani cover Cortez the Killer

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by JL_LI, Sep 1, 2019.

1. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I just struck gold when I found this on YouTube. Potter, Satriani, and an amazing band in an amazing live performance. Well worth the time for a look and a listen. I hope you enjoy this as much as I did!

JayFreddy and Slip Kid like this.
  2. GoldieLocks

GoldieLocks Tele-Afflicted

I've been watching that for years. Awesome! the trumpet makes it very special. Grace Potter sounds like she wants to go on a Hot Date with Cortez - but that's her style.

JL_LI likes this.
  3. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Wow, I never thought I'd see Satriani and Kimock on stage together. BTW, someone tell Neil that the Incas were the ones that had coca leaves, not the Aztecs. The Incas were in the Andes in South America, the Aztecs were in Mexico.
    IMO Steve would have been a better choice to handle the lead guitar on that one, rather than Joe.

MickM likes this.
  4. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

Too bad Satriani is playing lead on that song. He's great, but over the top too often for my liking.
    Steve Kimock is on 2nd guitar and could have made that song so much better if they had allowed him to solo.

DougM, brookdalebill and MickM like this.
  5. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

Grace is seriously great, you know she's legally blind? Only has something like 20 percent of her vision.

6. guitarsophist

guitarsophist Tele-Meister

Well, nothing in that song is historically accurate, except that Cortez did show up and kill nearly the entire population of what is now Mexico City. But though Neil Young does say on Rust Never Sleeps that he has a "research team" historical accuracy is not one of his strengths.

I agree that Satriani is a bit too smooth to be playing a Neil Young solo. His chops are too great for the task.

GoldieLocks likes this.
  7. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

All due respect (yea I know) but anybody else think that Joe will never bring himself to play "for the song" unless it's one of his songs?

8. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

In his defense, I think that was a jam session and time for everyone to show off. The camera even zoomed in when he did the raise the harmonics with the whammy bar trick.
    Sometimes you got to do what the audience is expecting, which is what Joe did. Pull out all the tricks.
    Steve Vai is equally over the top, but I think Vai is a better songwriter than Joe and he did a great job of just playing the rock start guitarist role when he toured with David Lee Roth.

JayFreddy likes this.
  9. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Meister

3689960B-7FDD-4454-B509-62FD8B3513F0.png

Slip Kid and richiek65 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.