1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Gout anyone?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 6942, Jul 7, 2015.

1. 6942

6942 Poster Extraordinaire

I'm thinkin' this old geezer has developed GOUT in my right foot?? :(
    At my big toe, it is.....red, swollen, and VERY painful!!!
    I've been living on painkillers since Saturday morning.
    Gonna try to get into see the Doctor this week for sure!!

Sigh.....old age ain't for the timid.........................

Steve ;)

2. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Tart Cherry juice....start it..

Most folks I know with gout drink it..guess helps

imho

3. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

I have occasionally had it in my left index toe (probably because my left leg in general has suffered a lifetime of abuse). I don't drink cherry juice. I drink cherry juice concentrate. A slug and an hour and the pain is gone.

If it is gout, painkillers won't stop the damage from having those crystals in your toe joints. And don't forget to drink a lot of water. I'm no MD, but keeping your blood thin with water has got to help keep the uric acid concentration down, and it seems to help me keep from getting it.

4. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yes and it can be a real PITA.

Drink lots of water, back way off eating meat. Not just red meat, but poultry and pork as well. The purines in meat (especially organ meat) help cause the flare ups. If you drink sodas, cut out the ones with high fructose corn syrup.

You need to get your uric acid under 7, so you will probably be put on a maintenance medicine like Allopurinol. The flare ups usually gets treated with Colchrys, Indomethacine, and whatever type of pain killer your doctor prescribes. Work on the diet to help control gout, the flare up medicines are hard on the Kidney's. Good luck!

5. unclearty

unclearty Tele-Holic

Gout anyone?.....no thanks..already got some !
    Bed sheets hurt...water dripping in the shower hurts...dress shoes???..no thank you. Prednisone helped me alot...pain killers...not so much. Right big toe.....lovely. My father thinks it's funny as hell. Nothing says OLD quite so well.....

6. 6942

Well, I saw the Doctor an hour ago, and........................................................

He is about 99.9% sure, that it's a flare up of GOUT.

Damm......................................................................

Steve

7. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yup, been on allopurinal for a few years now and that has kept it in check.

Yes also to the cherry juice and keeping well hydrated.

Aspirin and tylenol can make it worse. Advil is ok. I'm going from memory here, so maybe check on the interwebs to see if I have that right.

Definitely get it checked. Best to do so when it is acute. But get it checked - it tends to get worse not better if you continue getting it.

Cheers,
    Geoff

8. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

Yep. Have been battling it for over 8 weeks now. Started in right toe then left and now my knees have fluid build up. Indomethacin and steroid shot took care of the toes and now I'm on a regimen of colchicine (?) and allopurinol. I can ride on mower and weed eat with knee wraps. I feel your pain. People that have never had gout just don't know the meaning of pain...........

9. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Count me in...first flareup about eighteen months ago. I walk a LOT on my job, and had to get coworkers to help make some of my deliveries during the last couple hours of shift. The inside of my right ankle swelled to the size of half a tennis ball, and I could barely walk and could not bear to touch it. I honestly thought it was a stress fracture or something. ER doc diagnosed me almost immediately, after finding out it runs in my family. Now I keep a little first-aid kit of colchicine and indomethacin for attacks, courtesy of my regular physician.
    Thank goodness I haven't had to use it.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned--if you routinely drink beer, you are especially prone to gout attacks. Other culprits include red meat, turkey, and a lot of seafood.
    Pretty much everything we all love.

Good luck with yours, hope it stays at a very manageable level like mine (so far.) I've been very blessed to have had just the one bad episode...ouch.

10. 6942

I....just....took my Dogs on a short hike.
    Jeeeeeez, was THAT painful!
    But my pups LOVE their walks and it is healthy for them too.
    I can work around the gout issues to a degree, but my Dogs deserve to enjoy life to the best of my abilities.

Steve

11. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I've had Gout for 15 years. It always starts in the big toe. Bone spurs have started to form in the joint where the toe joins the foot. My big toe stays swollen and inflamed.

Allopurinol is supposed to limit the bodies forming and retaining of Uric Acid which crystallizes and collects in the joints and is responsible for Gout. Indomethacine is the best Anti-inflammatory med for Gout. BTW - Indomethacine is a blood thinner and can't be taken with certain other blood thinning meds like Plavix. Which is what I'm on and can't have the Indomethacine anymore. A real bummer.

Gout is caused by poor metabolism of certain foods or liquids causing high levels of Uric Acid and the kidneys inability to dispose of all of it.

Limit your intake of fatty foods, red meat, cold cuts, organ meats, starchs, corn syrup and alcohol. Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day.

12. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I had a flare up in my knee once that kept down for 2 days.

13. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

All good advice here. I have meds for mine, but I immediately head to the market for tart cherrie juice. Easier on my kidneys, and is tasty too. I think you're supposed to drink an 8 ounce glass a day, but I just slug at the bottle.

14. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

I've not had gout since I quit drinking.

15. Tidepoolbay

Tidepoolbay Friend of Leo's

Big Gout sufferer here. No one knows how extremely painful this is.
    I have had it in my foot, knee, toes, hands, elbows, & wrist.

Diet is one thing. Medication in another. I would be glad to tell you anything and everything I know about this incurable decease. I have been living with this for over twenty years. You can e-mail me or we could talk on the phone.

This is tough.

16. 6942

Tidepoolbay..............................................

Thanks for the kind offer, it is certainly appreciated!

Steve

17. Zillinois

Zillinois Friend of Leo's

No thanks, I'm busy with high cholesterol.

18. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

That is one debilitating affliction. Alcohol does appear to be a trigger.

19. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My first bout felt exactly like a sprained ankle. Now I've had flareups in my feet and toes. Colchrys works miracles. All the meds for gout absolutely wreck your liver, kinds worries me about taking Allopurinol, but that's next if it won't subside. Lots and lots of water does seem to help. I'll have to remember Cherry Juice, too.

20. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's

I had my first bout of it a little over a month ago. It was REALLY bad for only two days (though not as excruciating as it is for some), but hung around for close to two weeks. My late father and both of my older brothers have had it as well, so there may be a genetic component.

I am tackling future occurrences in advance with a pretty radical diet shift.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.