Gotta have that 52 avri...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Kmaxbrady, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Kmaxbrady

Kmaxbrady TDPRI Member

I’m new to the tele world. Been an acoustic guy since I was a kid. I got my first tele about 2 years ago. I went with a Squier CV, didn’t want to spend a ton of money because I wasn’t sure if it would stick, or if I would end up just playing my acoustic all the time. Well, it stuck. And as much as I like the classic vibe, I’m dying to get myself a 52 avri. There’s a used one in my local GC. I was in there playing it last night. It sounded amazing, and that neck shape is so perfect with that radius on the edge of the fretboard. Most comfortable neck I’ve ever played. It’s $1300, which isn’t a crazy amount of money, but I’m a young guy with a young family and I can’t justify it in the budget right now. So for now I’ll keep rockin the classic vibe and dreaming. That’s it, happy weekend y’all :)

Piggy Stu, Greggorios and howardlo like this.
  2. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Why not buy an aftermarket 52avri neck from Stratosphere and upgrading the pickups on your Squier? Much cheaper, especially if you run across one slightly used. When you have more money, you can by a 52avri body.

3. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

I was a Strat guy exclusively and just couldn't get the whole Tele thing, although of course I knew there were great players who just couldn't want anything but a Tele. I know there is greatness out there that I'm just not into. Then, a couple of years ago, I stumbled into a pawn shop guitar that had a bunch of features I could never have expected to find in one guitar.

1. Semi hollow (think 335 style) Never had one but was always interested. Turns out the guitar I'm talking about is even MORE hollow than a 335, although it has a short center block.
    2. P90's. Oh my god. What a glorious pickup design. I knew these existed but I never really knew much about them despite their obvious fame.
    3. Ebony fretboard. Really ? Not an expected feature. But it's one of the best necks I ever played, so I get why players rave about ebony.
    4. It's an arch top. On a Telecaster. (no it isn't a Fender) WTF ! I love the idea of arch tops. I even had a couple of big old jazz-boxes in the past. One was a really nice Maton Supreme.

I had to try it out. Light_as_a_feather. Oh I really like that. Yeah it looked really nice (burled maple top) but bling never attracted me with guitars, I was a traditionalist and I like beaters to be honest. As soon as my fingers fretted the first few notes and riffs I was like holy hell, this thing plays like a dream. Clean tones were haunting and with just a touch of break up. Driven harder, it just sang and growled and yet still sang while it was growling. What a tone. P90's ... I get it now. Wow.

So $200 later I walked out the door with it. Pawn shops are just amazing aren't they ? Yeah their strike rate is pretty much in the basement but once in a lifetime ... whoa. So now I have a Tele style ... and I just love it. Is it a luthier's dream machine ? Nope, but I could not care less.

$200 makes this the cheapest guitar I own. Even my budget partscaster build with stuff I collected and was given or found over a 10 year period living exclusively with musicians in communal band households cost me $250 to put together. If it wasn't for blind luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all. :rolleyes:

tele_top.jpg

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  4. Kmaxbrady

Kmaxbrady TDPRI Member

I’ve thought about it. My cv body is kinda heavy even after routing under the pick guard. I’ve considering getting a boatneck neck from Warmoth but I doubt it comes with those rounded edges. The 52 pickups are definitely in my near future though.

5. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

With the added advantage of the GC return policy I’m thinking $1300 is a killer price. My 2 local GC stores never have USA 52 reissues anywhere near that price.

Sell some stuff you don’t use on Craigslist to pay for it.

Find a way it’s what we do.

6. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted

1300$ is a lot of dough for a used 52RI. Try also the older ones: same sound, darker and more transparent finish, ever so slightly smaller neck, but still a nice ol’ chunk – to me personally, just right. And they’re cheaper. I have one from 2011 and it’s one of the guitars I’m sure I’ll never part with! If one comes around make sure you go and try it. And if it sounds strange on the neck pickup, chances are the owner left it in vintage wiring (just a handful more $ to change it to modern wiring if that’s what you prefer.

7. coolidge

coolidge Tele-Meister

Yeah family is way more important than gear, good decision.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  8. Fuggle

Fuggle TDPRI Member

When I have to choose between supporting my family and buying new gear, I always do the responsible thing and flip a coin.

Clifton C, hockey guy and whoanelly15 like this.
  9. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

AV or AVRI? It makes a difference, so know before you buy. The AVs have significantly thinner and more vintage-accurate finishes, and they don't have that heavy orange tint on the bodies and necks. They generally sell for a bit more than AVRIs, but they are worth it IMO. They look much better and break in more nicely and more quickly IMO. An AVRI should not be priced at $1,300 plus tax unless it is very minty. Either can sound great, though.

10. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Holic

I’ve been surprised at how high the 52 reissues are priced. On CL and Reverb asking prices range from $1,100-1,800. I paid $1,163 out the door for my 2017 new at GC. Yes, it was a great deal. My favorite guitar.

My advice is to either trade in a kid for the guitar OR start saving while keeping a eye open for a better than average price. I wouldn’t invest too much in the CV unless you think it will be a good while before you are able to buy a 52 reissue.

Good news is that you’re young enough to be there when the bottom falls out on the original black guard market. Good luck with the family and guitar.

11. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

That is more than a great deal. Considering it's an out the door price, that's not too far away from paying cost for the guitar (though G.C.'s cost is probably lower than most because they buy such volume). You could have immediately turned around, thrown it on E-Bay, and got at least a couple hundred dollars more for it. I don't say that because I think you should have, but just to make a point about how smoking that deal was.

They must have been blowing them out hard, to make room for the new AOs. When my local shop did that in 2018, I felt like my $1,600 plus tax old-stock AV '58 was a steal...and I was over the moon when I got their $1,300 AV '64 Strat in a limited edition finish that was still sitting in there the following year (i.e. this year).

12. AfroBill

AfroBill TDPRI Member

I’ve got an American Vintage 52 Reissue Tele for sale. I just dropped the price to $1170 on Reverb. PM me if you’re interested.
    910ED370-273E-4A44-834F-F813D72337AB.jpeg 4D1926B4-44A6-4568-B5FB-BA4F7493BC82.jpeg

RYAN1987M and EsquireOK like this.
  13. mijstrat72

mijstrat72 Tele-Afflicted

I went through a similiar journey. Lusted after the "holy grail" 52. I played around with 6 different teles along the way. I miss some of them. I finally achieved my goal and found a sweet 52. After playing it for awhile, I realized it wasnt working for me. I didnt care for the 7.25 radius. The pickups while being amazing, lacked the frequency that my ears like to hear.

I did really like all the CV teles I had though. Id throw an Allparts fat neck on and have alot of fun with it.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  14. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

That's the series you want '12-'17. I m amazed it's not selling, especially w a flat sawn neck.

dreamingtele and AfroBill like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.