1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Gotta Be Worth $200 huh?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Crowcaster, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Crowcaster

Crowcaster Tele-Holic

Hi there,

There's a Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401 Dual Super Lead for sale not too far from me.

I saw this a couple weeks ago at $300, but there was quite a few bad reviews on various forums.

But Made in England for $200 has gotta be a good deal?

Anyone own, owned or played through them? Think I should roll the dice?

Thanks in advance,
    Marshall.PNG
    Marshall 2.PNG

2. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Holic

I had one and really liked it. They are prone to overheating and not super popular (EL84 poweramp), so that might explain the lack of interest.

3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Not imho. Ommv.

Torren61 likes this.
  4. SomeGuyNamedRob

SomeGuyNamedRob Tele-Meister

Tried one for a weekend and I can say it was the world's okayest Marshall amp. Nothing special, but not terrible sounding.

5. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I don’t think I’d drop $200 on one of those. And I’m a Marshall fanboy.

northernguitar and Torren61 like this.
  6. Crowcaster

Crowcaster Tele-Holic

:) Yeah, that's what I kinda found a couple weeks ago....nobody a fan. Being out in the sticks, I just get excited when good brands show up.

Thanks for the advice!

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  7. bigtuna61

bigtuna61 Tele-Meister

Says $200. Obo that automatically means $150. Yes pull the trigger

Brian J. and Crowcaster like this.
  8. Crowcaster

Crowcaster Tele-Holic

That's just what I did....it's a bit far for me to chase, about 60 miles, but my wife is nearby this morning, so I threw out $150 since I wouldn't be able to try it out....so far, haven't hear back though.

Terickson likes this.
  9. Wally

One could put the amp through its paces. If it works, it might be worth $150 to someone if they like what they hear. I would give that only if I new someone who would give me $50 profit the next day. Being that the amp is being sold ‘in the sticks’ and everyone has seen it for sale, the possibility is probably nil that a quick turn could be had. If one has the money to buy a Marshall like this for $150 and wants an amp with a Marshall logo on it, go for it.

Crowcaster likes this.
  10. Wally

Good luck with it if they accept.

11. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Afflicted

My first real tube amp was a DSL401 and it may not be as bad as everyone thinks.

Some of them had overheating issues, I think it was the tiny diode bridge that would overheat. I saw one person replace the bridge with 4 1N4007s and that gave them a little more air to cool them.

The Goldback speaker is terrible. Fizzy and hardly any bass. The magnet on the back of that speaker is laughable. I played mine through a 2x12 with" A Greenback and a Vintage 30 and it sounded MUCH better. There weren't many greenback variants that could handle 40W in those days, but I'd imagine a Creamback 65 could make the amp sound great.

The other thing about the DSL401 is that the Overdrive can be fizzy. The amp literature states a 20dB gain on OD2, but it is really the other way around: OD2 is the main sound and OD1 attenuates is by 20dB. Here is the trick nobody else knows: If you drop a 12DW7 tube in the V2 position it cuts the OD gain by 14dB, so OD1 become more Classic Rock, and OD2 isn't just Fizz.

The Clean channel is beautiful! It can get a little Voxy with the EL84s if you EQ it just right.

For $200 or especially $150 I would be severely tempted to pick one up. I sold mine after building a Marshall JMP50.

I recorded a show that I did with the DSL401 and the sound the amp was making that night was EPIC (with 12DW7 installed and through the aforementioedn 2x12" cab).

I do have some sound clips and used to have a website dedicated to my experimentation with the DSL401 but it is no longer hosted.

Crowcaster likes this.
  12. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Holic

I think it's an OK amp, depending on what you like and already own.

The stock speaker is terrible, as has been mentioned.
    I played mine through G12T75 and that got the tight biting sizzling Marshall tone in spades. Wad good fun.

I prefered the V30 tone though, thicker, richer, warmer.

In the end, I just had better amp for me that I preferred playing over it, so i sold it.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  13. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Don't know much about those, but I've seen it mentioned on the net that the problems were only for the ones manufactured before a certain date.

14. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

can't buy the parts for twice that money

scelestus, Torren61 and Crowcaster like this.
  15. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Afflicted

Right! If I had one, I would be tempted convert it to a handwired circuit of a classic marshall!

Asmith likes this.
  16. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

$200 is a steal for it if it’s in operating condition.

Whether you think it sounds good or not is personal preference. I’m a Marshall fanboy and I’ve played a ton of those over the years and never heard one I liked at all. But that doesn’t mean that’s not a screaming deal for one. That’s a great price, and some folks really like those amps.

Crowcaster and scelestus like this.
  17. Wally

well, there is a chassis and two transformers that could be used. Switch two of the EL84s out for half power. There are enough 12AX7s for serious high gain options. I don’t care for the build quality of the DSL amps, so it would be worth more in parts to me as well.

18. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Afflicted

If 4xEL84s aren't your thing, you could get buy with 2xEL34s with the same transformer if you build a handwired amp inside!

19. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Afflicted

i'd buy that for 150, i might even bite for 200 they aren't great but they aren't terrible either mostly depends on what you think a marshall should sound like or what sound you want to get out of it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.