1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Gotoh Saddles and advice on tools for repair/setup

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Jones89, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Jones89

Jones89 TDPRI Member

Hi all,

I just have two quick questions about setup:

1. I have bought some Gotoh In-Tune Compensated Saddles for my tele. I'm unfortunately not a very smart man, because I can't figure out in which place the different saddles are suppose to be. I notice that two of the saddles are identical (I know they can be turned around for left handed), but I don't know which strings the different saddles are are supposed to help compensate. So please help :)

2. Are there any tools you find absolutely essential if you are going to do small setups/adjustment at home for a Classic Player Tele and a ES-335 copy?

Thanks!

- Jonas

That Cal Webway likes this.
  2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The saddle that isn't like the other two (the offsets should be reversed) goes in the middle. The objective here is to have two "sloped" groups of three, with the low E and the G being the longest and the D and high E being the shortest.

3. WingedWords

WingedWords Friend of Leo's

Does this pic help?
    SS-1TB.jpg

Good choice and, from your earlier post, a really smart looking Tele.

Tools? A good set of jewellers' screwdrivers and good quality Allen keys - possibly imperial and metric. And, I wouldn't be without my digital caliper gauge.

4. Jones89

Jones89 TDPRI Member

5. WingedWords

WingedWords Friend of Leo's

The digital caliper gives an easy, quick and accurate measurement for so many things. Checking string gauges, checking screw sizes for drilling pilot holes. Bore size of bottlenecks. Neck width and depth dimensions. Etc etc. Mine was a pretty expensive one that I inherited with my dad's tools and I wouldn't be without it.

Feeler gauges are useful - haven't used radius gauges.

6. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Radius gauges are a waste of money if you're doing setups.

.020" and .012" thickness gauges are useful. The 20 for nut action and the 12 for neck relief. This is not the 'perfect' height for every guitar, but these two gauges will get you really close and you can tweak up or down from there. Disassemble a thickness gauge set and pull those two out. Put them together with a nut and screw, and they are a whole lot easier to use:

[​IMG]

A capo for setting neck relief.

A small machinist's rule that measures to 1/64" for setting string action. This is why radius gauges are a waste of money--because when you set the action for each string the 12th fret, all the strings (bridge saddles) will be perfectly radiused for the fretboard.

The only time I use a radius gauge is when someone asks me to tell them that the radius is on their guitar...which is very rare.

7. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I agree. I fitted a set this morning.

Just needed a screwdriver. When I fit the bridge to the body I'll use the allen key/wrench that came from
    saddles and a radius gauge. :)

Attached Files:

8. RockinforJesus

RockinforJesus Tele-Meister

90478B0F-882F-4D64-B5CD-BB7E207F2675.jpeg I put those saddles on my ‘15 Mexi Tele. The low E saddle required filing material off the bottom of it so I could lower the saddle enough to get the string height I wanted.
    Also, I shaved the screws down so the screw heads did not protrude the top of the saddles. Much nicer for palm muting. After installation was complete, intonation was spot on.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Jones, one of the things I like to do, is review posts with pictures in the Tech threads and get a sense from the images, the positioning of the 3 saddles. The one thing with these Gotoh saddles is, don't worry about the radius that's formed by the three saddles, because that will look off to the eye. Instead, follow the arc one sees at the saddle but the STRINGs as each breaks over the saddle in the slot. Concentrate your exploration on guitars with these eccentric slotted saddles only, like the Gotohs (and the Rutters saddles that they stole the idea from).

You can probably make do without a radius gauge, as you can make paper ones. There's a resource around here somewhere that facilitates that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.