Gotoh modern bridge (brass) vs Wilkinson compensated sound

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Poca Distor, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Poca Distor

Poca Distor TDPRI Member

Hello everyone, I've a question regarding these 2 bridges.

It's not about intonation, but about sound. Both bridges have brass saddles and the modern has brass base plate I think.

So what's the difference in sound/tone? I want to try something new on my Fender mim std Tele.

The modern gotoh bridge has an advantage since they cancel more hum. I use a Dimarzio Area T 615.
    I play classic/alter rock, and clean stuff. I'm not on the country twang side.

2. horax

horax Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I want to know this as well.
    I know the Gotoh modern is thicker, so will that mean a neck adjustment?

3. Poca Distor

Poca Distor TDPRI Member

I think so. In fact my Fender Tele has very little distance between the pickguard and the strings. I need a shim. Maybe it will help me to fix some setting problems.

horax likes this.
  4. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Afflicted

One thing to consider is the brass bridge plate will be nonferrous - it will not affect the magnetic field of the bridge pickup like a normal steel plate does. I personally would not go with the brass plate - the combination of the bridge PU and steel plate is what gives it that oomph and kick.

Fretting out likes this.
  5. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

The Gotoh bridge is way more balanced sounding,removes the ice pick from the unwound strings and is still super twangy in the wound strings where the twang lives ,if you have the right pickups.

It's my go to bridge for every Tele I build or modify it sounds so much better than the thin traditional three saddle to my ears.

Scroll down to post #36 for a sound comparison I did a few years back

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/is-the-gotoh-tele-bridge-twangy-enough.164652/page-2

Poca Distor likes this.
  6. Poca Distor

Poca Distor TDPRI Member

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

I have no experience with the Wilkinson bridge but replaced the fender vintage bridge on my AVRI with the Gotoh bridge for some time.
    Like Nick says the sound became more balanced and less bright. I did try it for practical reasons – better intonation, no sitar sounds produced by the strings carving into the round vintage saddles (I sand them every now and then to get rid of that). Mechanically the Gotoh bridge is superior by a mile. If you like a balanced, rocking tone it is a great option.
    Personally I missed the airy quality the thin sheet metal produces so I reinstalled the vintage bridge.

Poca Distor, horax and tlp123 like this.
  8. tlp123

tlp123 Tele-Meister

It's a good setup used by many builders, and yes it does all that. Brent Mason (player-not builder) uses one on his number one. I've tried a few and liked them very much. I just prefer the traditional krang the vintage bridge imparts. I use my tone pot on the guitar judiciously. I also love Joe Barden & Lawrence/Wilde pickups. I use them on everything.

There is no right or wrong option.

Only what you like. That's really all that matters.

Can't imagine that.....check your hearing.

9. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Of course you don't.
    This is a wav file though SC compression algorythms that you are listening to.... from PC speakers or headphones,you will also won't hear a difference if you play within a band at high volumes or inside a recording .
    If you are in your bedroom :) listening to the amp alone at moderate levels you MIGHT be able to hear a smoother and non ice picky sound from the unwound strings and a bit beefier twang in the wound strings (mostly the E & A) when you use the bridge pickup.
    That's all there is to it and that's why the whole "perfect bridge thing" is mostly cork snifing ;)
    Also note that this bridge has been around since the 70s so I don't know how..."modern" it is :)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  10. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

My avatar Tuxedo has the Gotoh GTC201 bridge, CS Texas Specials and a 4 way switch. It's a great way to go if you want something a little bit different from a Tele.

11. Poca Distor

Poca Distor TDPRI Member

Yes, that's what I meant. In person the differences are surely noticeable. I never had a vintage 3-saddle bridge so I don't know if I'll like the sound. Anyway I always end up on the "comfortable/modern" side.

12. Poca Distor

Poca Distor TDPRI Member

I love that guitar!. I want to order a Tele from a builder friend with that look. White finish with rosewood fingerboard and black pickguard.

So can I install the Gotoh bridge on my Fender tele mim without making new holes? It's a standard 2016.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.