1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Gotoh Locking Vintage Oval Knob Tuners

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by TelZilla, Feb 21, 2019.

1. macatt

macatt Tele-Holic

I think they are completely stupid.
    What good is the useless cosmetic slot when there is no hole in the center of the post?
    You still have the string end sticking out from the side of the post.
    Plus it's a pain to string and un-string.

S Mac

Alamo likes this.
  2. zezone

zezone Tele-Meister

Have them on a couple of guitars. I love them.

3. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

I've never felt the need to put locking tuners on a Fender guitar. And I love the vintage Kluson style tuners and have them on all my Fender guitars. They are definitely a case of getting it right the first time and symbolic of great industrial design. The streamlined neatness of the rear gear in-line housings, the practicality of the split shaft, and the aesthetic of the oval tuning heads above the angular Fender headstock haven't been bettered.

That being said, IF I were interested in locking tuners, these are the ones I'd want. But I'd want them to not have the fake split post. That is not a principle of good design. But the rest of it is since it mostly copies the classic Kluson design. It looks close enough to a vintage Kluson that you could probably put these on a vintage Fender and nobody would notice.

Another thing I like about them is the staggered height posts. Now that's a design innovation whose time has come. The string tree should be extinct by now and has outlived its usefulness. It's only still there because uniform-height posts are cheaper to produce as a set.

4. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

They came stock on my Classic Player 50 Strat. I just happened to change my strings last night. A string winder is helpful, because you have to turn each quite a ways for it to loosen and release the strings, and then I even had to grip a couple with needle nose pliers to pull them out. When installing the strings, I have difficulty with the high e . I found I had to loosen the cap a turn and then winding many times before the internal post gripped the string. Once gripped, it's a breeze. These are not tuners that you want to wrestle with if you need a string change at a gig on a dimly lit stage...bring a back up guitar, and then spend your break at a table replacing a string.

5. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

The instruction video I saw clearly shows that you are not supposed to have to loosen the cap with a key, coin, or any other object..just turn the tuner as you would to loosen the stings and they are supposed to come loose.

6. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

Interesting, as the instruction manual quite explicitly says to do so. It should not be necessary under normal conditions, but if a string breaks, it is. It would follow that if the string won't release, you can just knock a coin in the slots to back off the top cap (I have to do it just a fraction of a turn, if at all, using my padlock key that is always on me).

If you hold the string as you unwind, there are really no issues IME. I use the key simply because it's super fast and easy. Just hit each slot 1/8 turn before unwinding. My Tortex purples and blues work too.

I dunno. I got them the first time, put them on, fiddled with them for 5 minutes, and then had it down.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  7. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have a set on my old Tokai strat. Those along with the added graphite nut make the tuning fairly bomb-proof.

8. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

"supposed to" is the operative phrase here. I have used them and found that that does not always work. Maybe not even half the time. One usually needs to loosen the coin-slotted (but apparently not UK coins?) posts.
    That said, they work fine and are smooth. But I don't find they offer an advantage over traditional slotted posts. I've only recently come to appreciate what a wonderful design they are.

Cheers,
    Rex

9. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

I have to agree that the regular slotted posts are more expedient to work with than these Gotoh SD91 vintage style lockers. I find that I have to loosen/rotate the post a full 360 degrees before they release, and then turn the knob to tighten a LOT before they grab. I don't loosen the cap until I give it a twist prior to installing the new string. My preference would be the vintage style with the knob on the back (SD91-MAGNUM).

10. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

thanks for the suggestion on what to do with all these old Tortex purples I have laying around. I used a coin once at first, but I saw it marred the slot and figured after several string changes the caps would be damaged.

11. strat56

strat56 Tele-Holic

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.