Gotoh In-tune brass saddle height adjusting screws

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by PeterUK, Feb 3, 2021.

1. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

We think alike. I use a business card and eye in the saddle position for intonation and also adjust the saddles for radius using a radius gauge.

I have to confess that on one bridge I got the saddles positions, height and radius 'almost' perfect. The intonation and radius required the tiniest of adjustment once I set the action and adjusted the truss rod.

I'm never too far off but on this one occasion I was so, so close!

BTW, I wish we had a McMasters Carr on this side of the pond. I can get every conceivable metric size but I'm really struggling on Imperial.

I do have some 6-32 grub screws but I can only find Gavin at Axecaster who stocks them as an extra for his vintage saddles.

Anyone else in the UK know of a local supplier.

2. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

A business card under the saddles? I guess one would easily cover the area under all of the screws and probably be a little more sturdy. I’ll have to try that!

PeterUK likes this.
  3. Tele-phone man

Tele-phone man Tele-Afflicted

Timely thread. I just did the exact same thing as the OP on my Tele. I ended up replacing all six of the 10mm screws in my bridge with 8mm pieces. My palm could not be happier.

PeterUK likes this.
  4. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

I haven’t tried it yet with the threaded steel saddles like I was thinking, but I’ve now made my own compensating grooves in a set of straight fat (5/16” inch or so in diameter) *brass* saddles.

These were a set I got from fleaBay, an Asian made bridge. They were chrome plated brass with small straight grooves, and incidentally I removed all that chrome with a dremel-like tool with a slightly abrasive brush-wheel. I opened up the grooves deeper, slightly wider, and staggered (eyeballing an RS Guitarworks set) with a cutting disc and then polished them again with the brush.

The bridge with the staggered-groove-compensated saddles is mounted to the guitar here, it’s the gold plated one. To its left is a 2006 or so Squier Standard with either Gotoh or MIM Standard 6 block shaped saddles that I was thinking about using but decided I might need to cut the springs or use shorter saddles to get it intonated. The gold bridge is stringed top-loaded.

The guitar intonates correctly with these.

E3734184-8D4B-4E0C-84BB-0A5345EEE90B.jpeg

PeterUK likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.