Gotoh 6 saddle bridge (GTC202) compatibility with current American Telecasters?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Hodge, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Hodge

Hodge Tele-Meister

Can anyone advise if the Gotoh 6 saddle bridge (GTC202) would act as a direct drop in replacement for the vintage style bridges on both the current AM Professional and AM Performer Telecaster? I’ll likely be picking one of these up soon and I imagine I’ll be looking to change the bridge in the future.

I have installed a GTC202 previously to both a Classic Series 72 and a Japan 62 Custom Reissue without issue, but I’m unsure about the current AM models.

Having reviewed the AM Pro bridge; I think it’s unlikely it will work as it seems the string holes are now above the mounting screws, however; I believe it should work without issue on the AM Performer Telecaster as I believe that model utilizes a standard vintage style bridge (string holes below mounting screws)

If anyone has actually done this or can offer any advise it would be greatly appreciated.

244300 likes this.
  2. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Friend of Leo's

The Professional has the same fixing and through hole positioning as the the American Standard which is modern.
    The Performer bridge is the "Pat Pend" which is the same screw fixing and string hole positioning as the GTC202.

244300 and Hodge like this.
  3. 244300

244300 TDPRI Member

Are there any tips or tricks for installing a bridge or is it just unscrew the old one and screw in the new one?

Should Loctite 242 or 243 be used on the screw threads?

4. 244300

244300 TDPRI Member

What’s the difference between a brass saddles and steel saddles?

5. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

If both are machined with and not against the grain, it should be negligible. :D

244300 likes this.
  6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The brass ones are a few grams heavier. They may (for some users in some applications) favor middle frequencies and mute highs.

These bridges, whole, weigh 8 ounces with the steel saddles - that's a lot, for most users these days.

244300 likes this.
  7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I wouldn't use either. Let the fastener, and the wood, do the work. If the wood is punky, such as Paulownia, you may need to go to a larger diameter or longer screw to get solid purchase.

244300 likes this.
  8. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Firstly Gotoh Bridges fit perfectly. I dropped one in my Hwy.1.
    Secondly brass bridges are usually chrome covered in these but the brass factor seems to have a more mellow sound.
    I like the steel ones if you want brighter sounds.

244300 likes this.
  9. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

It was a drop in fit for my American Standard and Special Edition Koa with the exception of be prepared to shim the neck to compensate for the extra thickness of the Gotoh base plate.

[​IMG]

10. Don Mare

Don Mare Tele-Afflicted

everytime we replace a tele with 6-saddles here in the last 21 years - we lost tone - a lot of tone - that reminded me of why Old Timers would Mod Strats to 3 Brass Barrels - seems the down pressure of two stings are better then one like the old saying TWOS better Then One

11. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

20210517_211804.jpg Hey Don, I've never thought about it that way but can't say I disagree.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.