Gotoh 6-in-line tuner oval knob falling out

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by omlove, Jul 23, 2019.

1. omlove

omlove Tele-Meister

I got a replacement Classic Player 50s Strat neck with locking tuners. If information online from my research are correct, these are Gotoh Locking and the same as:

https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_an...cking_Vintage_Oval_Knob_6-In-Line_Tuners.html

The problem is one knob is really wobbling and two are slightly wobbling. So I pulled them with my bare fingers, firm but not reaaaaaaly hard and the knobs are pulled out.

I can push them back in but they are still wobbling. There doesn't seem to be a tight lock inside the oval button.

I am thinking of superglue but those are polished metal parts and very smooth. I'm wondering how that will work.

Also perhaps I need a stronger clap to push the knob back in? I'm afraid to damage the pole though.

Your thoughts and shared experience are much appreciated.

2. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

Can you include pictures?

3. omlove

omlove Tele-Meister

Sure. Please see the picture attached

Attached Files:

4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Edit: ah, that isn't good. Not sure with that. Might be - buy a new one.

5. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Try any of the variety of heavy duty resin-type glues on the market. E.g. no-name epoxy, J-B Kwik, etc. It won't be bulletproof, but it might last a while, and save you from having to buy new tuners in the immediate future.

6. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Afflicted

Was North of There, Now Way Way South of There
    I had that happen with a CS 52 Relic Tele and ended up using Gorilla Glue because it expands as it cures. It's activated by moisture so I dampened the parts before assembly. Three years later and it's still holding. Good luck.

7. omlove

omlove Tele-Meister

I just ran out to the hardware store before it closes and got a bottle of Gorilla superglue, it says "Clean and Dry Surfaces to Be Bonded". Could you please elaborate a little on the "activated by moisture" part? Thanks.

8. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Afflicted

Was North of There, Now Way Way South of There
    Original Gorilla Glue not the super glue. Too many varieties now LOL. Super glue does not expand.

thD5G9VCMF.jpg

9. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

I'm late coming back to this post. Looks like you've got your answer though.

I'll say, that I've seen a knob come off a Kluson Style tuner before. Even when hit it usually just bends the post. If it's a used neck & tuners, then you're on your own, but if new that's a warranty issue for sure.

I bought a guitar that already had those tuners on it (obviously many years old), they seemed like good tuners.

If you end up replacing them, consider these. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listing/B07MZWCT83/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

I ordered a set around 6 months ago & they were literally $41. CAD all in. Have had no issues whatsoever & have already bought another set.

10. omlove

omlove Tele-Meister

Thanks. I did go ahead with Gorilla superglue last night and we will see how the knobs hold up on to the posts in the long run:)

I only used a tiny amount of glue but on the first try there's already some squeeze out so I think the air gap inside the knobs are minimal. If that fails, I will try your original Gorilla expansion methods. Thanks.

11. omlove

omlove Tele-Meister

It holds up well after 24 hours of undisturbed bonding and then rigorously turning motion with restring winder:)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.