Gotoh 510TS-FE1 Trem Block Route dimensions?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by tkmclaughlin, Jul 6, 2020.

1. tkmclaughlin

tkmclaughlin TDPRI Member

I have tried to search here for the answer and using Google as well but I keep coming up empty. I have a Stratocaster body template bought from an online source. It is described as “1958-1965 vintage” dimensions. I know from logic, and numerous other forums, that the Gotoh 510TS-FE1 is a larger block and needs a larger trem cavity to give it a full range of use. (I don’t mean wider from low E to high E, I mean larger in the sense that the “small” side of the rectangularish trem cavity needs to be enlarged to accommodate the larger Gotoh trem block and allow it full range of motion). I can also see from the Warmoth body route options page the larger tremolo cavity route (see attached photo from the Warmoth website).

I‘m trying to figure out exactly HOW MUCH larger the trem cavity needs to be.

warmoth’s page doesn’t show the dimensions. But it does show the distance between the two posts (2.2” on center). I printed out a screenshot and ran it through a copier enlarging and shrinking until the printed photo measured the same as the 2.2”. Using this method, it looked to me like the standard strat trem block is about 76mm wide and 16 cm high, whereas the larger 510-TS block is the same width (76 mm) but about 17 cm high (so 1 cm larger). But I don’t know how reliable that methodology is.

can anyone here provide info on the dimensions needed to route for a Gotoh 510TS-FE1 tremolo block cavity? (I can find drawings showing the Gotoh’s dimensions, but that doesn’t necessarily tell me how large the cavity needs to be to enable it to have full range of motion.)

it’s been surprisingly difficult to find this info anywhere online. Like it is some kind of closely guarded secret.

(I emailed Warmoth asking for their route dimensions but got no response).

help please!

-Terry

Attached Files:

2. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

3. tkmclaughlin

tkmclaughlin TDPRI Member

thanks. I have seen this drawing before. Maybe I’m not thinking about this right, but this shows me the minimum cavity for the trem block to fit (ie 17.5mm). But if I make a cavity that size, the trem would not move forward or backward because the cavity is the same size as the bloc. To be able to pivot when the trem arm is used, the cavity needs to be larger than the block itself. But how much larger. This is what I’m trying to find out. But I maybe I’m thinking about this all wrong. I’ve only build hard tail guitars so far.

I may just wind up buying the unit and placing it into scrap pieces until I get a sense how big the cavity needs to be for the trem to pivot forward and backward without hitting the back or front of the cavity.

4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    tkmclaughlin likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.