1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Got zapped today

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by stxrus, Apr 21, 2021.

1. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

Went to an old house today to open up a blocked kitchen sink drain. The guy that lives there is a total slob and you can smell the grease under the sink
    Take apart the kluge setup to get to the drain which is a vertical copper 1.5” drain. Touch the machine and zzzzzzaaap! I find myself going from a kneeling position to sitting on my butt. Damn, that tingles.

I change outlets And when the auger touches the water filled drain pipe it arcs. Not my idea of fun. Call the tenant (slob) and explain what happened and call the owner. He suggested using an extension cord from the main house. I tell him ok but I’m going to get my outlet checker. I just don’t trust the power at the property.

Sure enough the outlets in the cottage shoe an open ground. The extension cord from the main house shows an open ground. Sheesh. Call the owner and tell him when the power gets fixed I’ll come back.

I now have a brand new outlet checker dedicated to the van

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

congrats! you lived to fight another day!

3. stxrus

But I don’t like fighting

4. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

Yup, couldn't hurt to get checked by your doc (with an ekg) especially if you've had any heart issues.

Peegoo, 24 track and dented like this.
  5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Nope, but I bet you like living!
    Glad you are OK!

24 track and NateD81 like this.
  6. stxrus

No heart issues. It was 120 and I wasn’t really balanced (neither was the power) but it did complete a reality check and I will be diligent about checking outlets more often

I always use the checker when I setup to play my electric guitar away from my house

7. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

We had a guy get laid out flat by bad juice at a local gig.
    We were just about to start and I heard a loud crash into the cymbals, and I was super annoyed and turned around to see the other guitarist falling backwards and his guitar strings burning up and glowing orange, mid-air.
    It melted the nut on his guit :eek:

Funny thing, I had a go-pro set up that would have captured the whole thing, but at the last second before it happened, someone picked it up in curiosity and set it back down, and it was off-target then.

He was shaken but we started up again it about 5 minutes.

8. NateD81

NateD81 Tele-Meister

I've only ever had one close call with getting zapped (that I'm aware of). I had an old house with a Zinsco electrical panel and the cover inside the panel that covers the breaker bars and internal guts of the panel had come loose. I know next to nothing about electrical issues, I just thought, "Gee, that metal cover shouldn't be hanging down like that, let me fix it back into place." When I pushed the cover back in, I had to slightly angle it into the guts of the panel, which caused the cover to hit the main breaker bars. Next thing I know sparks are flying everywhere, there's smoke in the air and I managed to cause a massive bang - my wife ran out frantic to see what had happened. The breaker bars were nearly melted in half. Still not sure how I didn't get shocked - I was standing on some flagstone when it happened, I don't know if that helped? The electrician who came out to replace the panel said I was lucky to be alive. I'm done messing with electrical panels unless a breaker needs to be flipped.

Nightclub Dwight and Torren61 like this.
  9. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

Klein makes a non-contact voltage tester that will find AC on anything. Mine's worth its weight in gold.

RobRiggs, getbent, jondanger and 3 others like this.
  10. stxrus

I have one but it doesn’t tell if everything is wired properly

getbent, 24 track and Torren61 like this.
  11. Refugee

Refugee Tele-Meister

Oh man, and at one point Ace Frehley paid to have that done to his Les Paul. Melted nut and all, up and running in five is amazing. Now THAT'S R & R!

12. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, different job. Outlet testers are great for outlets and voltage detectors are great for finding a hot chassis.

24 track likes this.
  13. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I’d love to troubleshoot that. Sometimes it can be that two wires are flipped. Hot wire going to neutral bar in the panel and the neutral is now going to the breaker. That can energize the sink and water faucets. You guys run off a delta grid. I’ll bet $20 it’s two wires connected incorrectly. Someone recently did some electrical work. Go outside near the panel. Find the ground rod or ground wire. Stick a screwdriver into the ground a foot or two from the ground wire and test across the two. I bet you get voltage.

14. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

What stormsedge is getting at is an electrical shock can alter the rhythm of the heart. You might not notice it but it can and I have seen it happen. Just looking out for ya bud! Glad you found out the problem and you didn't go further.

24 track and stormsedge like this.
  15. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

Yes, ^^this^^...it was standard practice to get checked if one took an electrical shock aboard ship.

Torren61 and 24 track like this.
  16. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Holic

I have zapped myself 3 or 4 times. The worst was with an electric over (240?). My mom's oven light bulb had shattered so only the socket remained. I was smart enough to turn off the breaker to the kitchen, but not smart enough to know that the oven is on its own breaker. I stupidly shoved a pair of pliers into the exposed socket. Saw a flash and woke up laying on the floor on the other side of the kitchen. The plastic insulation was burned off the tips of both handles of the pliers and each of my palms had a corresponding burn mark. Scary stuff!

Torren61 and 24 track like this.
  17. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

Please don't let your blue smoke out.

39martind18, Torren61 and 24 track like this.
  18. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

nothing like an electrical labotamy , be careful ,
    a friend of mine went across the room on his back when he forgot the one hand rule in an amp all 500 volts of it .imbedded his flat blade screw driver 1/2 inch into a concrete ceiling, took a few days to recover .

Torren61 likes this.
  19. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Here’s another Zap for you

String Tree likes this.
  20. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Btw, anyone else on that transformer is probably getting voltage from their faucets to ground, too.

RobRiggs likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.