Got your holiday lights up?

MarkieMark

Friend of Leo's
I'm "That guy"
In the attempt to create a gaudy spectacle that is visible from space, I take advantage of every moment where weather permits to haul stuff out and rig it up.
There are three large crates of extension cords alone.

I am about 3/4 done outside.
The inside is done. (Which is silly and crazy overblown, especially considering its just for us two- there will be no entertaining or guests)

The dread of stowing it all afterward has begun.
And no, other than testing my work- we don't light the show until 12/1

I find humor in knowing the neighbors are having the conversation-
Wife: Oh look! We should put up some lights!
Husband: "Grr"

You should see the Halloween spectacle.
I need a bigger barn.

And I will admit, my days of ladders and going up on the roof are going to come to an end.
My knees are killing me.

Telenator

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
shed.jpg

LGOberean

Doctor of Teleocity
Christmas lights/decorations? Bah! Humbug! 🤨

Kidding...sort of... 😉

We're never in a hurry to put up lights or anything, because for my wife and me it's just been the two of us for Christmas. Our kids don't come "home" for Christmas anymore. We'd love it if they all did, but it just hasn't happened in years, and it's not likely to ever happen again.

That's not sour grapes talking; I don't fault them for that. Ours is a big family: 3 kids (living in different cities across this big state) and 19 grandkids (with two more children being fostered with a view towards adoption). The grandkids are mostly in their teens or early 20s. They all have jobs, relationships, commitments...I get it.

But the reality of that situation is that getting everyone together down here is no mean feat; hasn't happened in years. My oldest daughter and her husband used to have a second home here, and one Christmas they hosted a family gathering at their house. Even then, only two thirds of us made it for that gathering. And that was 4-5 years ago.

So my wife and I are very low key since it's just the two of us. Does all of this sound a bit melancholy? Well, it is. We are at the point in our lives where we will travel to share the holidays with the kids. Yesterday we drove to Sugar Land (3+ hours drive from Corpus Christi) to spend Thanksgiving with our oldest daughter and her family. Next month we may be heading to San Antonio to spend Christmas with our youngest daughter and her brood. They are the ones with a dozen kids: 4 the old fashioned way, 6 adopted and 2 being fostered with a view towards adoption (two girls who are half sisters to one of the adopted boys).

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
In Canuckistan, it makes sense to set up outside lights before the snow arrives, but there's no requirement that you light them up right away.

Well, the snow has been here for a couple weeks and ain't goin away until spring, but once again I didn't do what I just wrote. 😮‍💨
I checked out front, no snow, 74 degrees here today.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
We put up a small tree, a few lights and doodads go out on the tables and such. That's about it. Usually, a couple of weeks before Christmas. I wish it were not so, but once you reach the get off my lawn stage, the holidays aren't quite as bright. Funny thing though, as usual I'm a day late and a dollar short, I got the Christmas spirit AFTER Christmas last year, and had my wife wait until after the first of the year to take down everything.

Knows3Chords

Tele-Afflicted
In January I'm going to make a thread called "Did you take your Christmas lights down yet?". I guess it's more of a pain for us guys in cold winter areas. I used to do the "just wait for a warmer day", but that wouldn't come around here until April. I would just call them my Easter lights. Now that we are empty nesters, it's just a simple tree with some simple indoor lights in on the house windows.

MrGibbly

Tele-Afflicted
Not yet... Dragged out all the interior decorations except the 14' giant fake tree that's in the shed out back. Probably dig that out tomorrow. We usually do everything the weekend after Thanksgiving but I don't think we'll get the exterior done tomorrow.