Got to finally See Buddy Guy for the first time last night

Record83

Tele-Meister
Living in the Chicagoland area I sometimes get spoiled with all the opportunities I get to see live music. I'm 39 now and have been suffering from a debilitating condition known as "OMS" (Old Man Syndrome) where I no longer want to go out, go to shows, be in crowds, drive long hours there and back, etc...

So many nights I told myself I was gonna go see someone...and then elected to stay on the couch (or work on a guitar!) One of the acts I am spoiled with is Buddy Guy. I've had, I don't know, maybe 200 opportunities to see him play, I could catch him at his club on a number of nights, but for whatever reason I never get myself in gear to go see him live.

He was headlining the Blues on the Fox fest last night in Aurora, which is about a 15 minute drive for me. I told myself I better go see him. I missed all of the other acts unfortunately (Kenny Wayne and Shemekia Copeland the night before, Billy Branch earlier in the day), but I got there in time to ride the rail and see Buddy.

He did not disappoint. 83 and still going strong. The band was tight and smokin'. He did all of his usual shtick: walking in the audience, playing guitar with a rag and drumsticks, etc... He was swearing a lot and said, "I couldn't swear before Hip-Hop came along. Now you're hearing the real blues!" Stupid fans we're yelling out corny stuff to him all night and they were annoying and I wanted to call them out, but Buddy heard EVERYTHING that was said and he would call them out on it and it was awesome.

Only thing was it was more of a "Blues Greatest Hits" set, he only played maybe 2 of his own songs. But he played Muddy, Johnny Guitar Watson, Eric Clapton, Howlin', etc...all great stuff. Marty, their keyboard player was insane and his rhythm guitarist is honestly probably better than Buddy right now, but I don't expect 20 year old Buddy Guy anyways...

He played a vintage white Strat all night and I couldn't believe how "live" it was. I swear the pickups could almost pick up his breathing.

$35 would have got me in all day, but I would have paid $100 just to see Buddy. A living legend.

VonBonfire

Tele-Holic
Nice man! 39? You're still a young pup!

Buddy is the best live show I've ever seen and I've seen him twice. Yep ignorant people in the audience getting tasked by Buddy. Glad to see one of the old masters of the blues still around keepin' the blues alive.

bgmacaw

Doctor of Teleocity
I got to see him in 2000 in Atlanta. It was a good show although he did clown around a good bit. He was using his polka dot signature Strat then along with Fender Twin (maybe the Cyber Twin, I'm not sure). His backing guitarist then was Scott Holt and he was using a vintage Marshall that sounded fantastic.

Record83

Tele-Meister
Nice man! 39? You're still a young pup!

I always joked "I'm 38 going on 83..." and now it's "39 going on 93..." Old Soul I suppose. But if Buddy is doing it at '83, what am I complaining about???

Buddy is the best live show I've ever seen and I've seen him twice. Yep ignorant people in the audience getting tasked by Buddy. Glad to see one of the old masters of the blues still around keepin' the blues alive.

I can't repeat the stuff here, but some jerks in the audience were trying to do the whole "preach it brother!" and "tell it like it is Buddy!!!" type stuff and Buddy would point to them and tell take them to task and tell everyone to be quiet while he's trying to say something, but not in THOSE words! Haha...

VonBonfire

Tele-Holic
Very cool report, and about time you got off the couch! 39, you're just a teenager to me. I've only seen Buddy once, and it was a great show. He loved to play LOUD.
When I saw him the 90's for the first time he was using two tweed bassmans and his backup guitarist, Scott Holt was using two Marshall Plexi 100 watt half stacks. Was an incredible show with a killer huge PA system like they used to do, not the weak little line arrays you see nowadays.

ravindave_3600

Friend of Leo's
I can't repeat the stuff here, but some jerks in the audience were trying to do the whole "preach it brother!" and "tell it like it is Buddy!!!" type stuff and Buddy would point to them and tell take them to task and tell everyone to be quiet while he's trying to say something, but not in THOSE words! Haha...

I was at a Dylan concert where someone yelled "ROCK ON!!!" Never missing a beat Bob said "I was rocking when you were in diapers" and went right on.

Love a good put down from the stage!

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Thanks for the post. Love Buddy. Saw him at a small venue in 2013 and he was with Quinn Sullivan. Also saw him and BB at the Ryman in Nashville. Really a performer. Does his thing and everyone enjoys it. I like to see it when he gets serious and plays the blues.

ETMusic777

Tele-Meister
He looks great for 80+. Looking at his physical body and the way he stands, he has the body and posture of someone much younger and appears that he works out to some degree.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
You were fortunate, young one. The old blues masters are going fast.

I have a poster for a Muddy Waters show I unfortunately didn't get to. It was while I was in college and student tickets were like two bucks. The poster reminds me every time I see it. Musta been a great party somewhere that night ...

I also missed out on seeing the Blues Brothers - for FREE! Apparently there was some gal I was too busy chasing when my buddy offered me a free ticket, ride, etc. Can't even remember her name or what she looked like, but every time I hear "Sweet Home Chicago" ...

Saw Bonnie Raitt a couple years back. She's coming to our town again, but cheap seats are north of a hundred bucks, so not this time. Still glad I got to see her when I did.

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Saw Buddy in the 80s.
Saw Buddy in the 90s.
Saw Buddy in the 00s.
Saw Buddy in the 10s.
He’s coming to the island, so I’d better make sure I complete the whole set, because I don’t fancy my odds of seeing him in the 30s. He’ll probably still be touring, but I’ll be gone.

And yeah, a Buddy Guy show is what a stage show is supposed to be. The Best.

dented

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
yup

Attachments

• 20200308_193315.jpg
    20200308_193315.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 18