1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Got this $30 pedal today

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Bryan A, Nov 2, 2020.

1. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

A5104F64-FDAD-43D6-B7FC-11DC2BF35C7E.jpeg

Thoughts? Anybody with any experience? After messing with it for about 20 minutes, I like the bass-treble pretty good. I found with all volume-no gain, the pedal adds a better transparent crispness than even my Tubescreamer. Meaning, it sounds more like a beefed up natural sound of the guitar/amp whereas the Tubescreamer definitely sounds like a pedal in that it kind of adds it’s own distinct color to the sound.

the Gain though, for what I play, I don’t think I’d have a lot of use for. It gets unruly almost instantly. Stuff like Stones or SRV is about as heavy as I play, and this gain is heavier than that even rolled almost all the way off. So in the gain department, the TS is Definitely better imo.

2. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I'm an Xotic BB Preamp user and I disapprove of cheap knock-offs.

Pineears likes this.
  3. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted

4. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

eh, I agree for some but not for all. For example, if I wanted a Tubescreamer or a Vox wah or something with a long proven track record, I’d buy the real deal without question.

but I’ve also been burned by paying $100+ on others without the proven track record and ended up disappointed. Case in point...Catalinbread SFT. I bought one full priced based on rave reviews and personally found it to be garbage.

so yeah, if I’m feeling experimental about pedal, I’d rather take a chance on a $30 pedal than a $100 one

blowtorch and Fearnot like this.
  5. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Yeah... I have to admit if I want to try a pedal "just to try" will occasionally build a clone. There's no pressure to unload them if they don't work out, since they have near-zero resale value.

I've done some business in China for my day job over the years and don't like their disregard of intellectual property rights. If I want a pedal, I'll buy one from the original manufacturer, or put together a one-off copy, but I'm not spreading the wealth to the Asian cloners.

I built my son an SFT clone years ago when he took up the bass. It's sitting right here on my desk, since I recently discovered it makes a great direct-recording preamp for guitar.

Bryan A likes this.
  6. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

take this pedal and the Xotic (which I didn’t even know this was based on when I bought it btw, I just bought it because it’s a cheap pedal). I don’t know how close this is to the Xotic, but I see the Xotic is $168 on Musciansfriend. There’s nothing about this pedal imo that would come close to justifying that price. If some of these pedal companies weren’t so outrageous on their pricing, I don’t think people would be so quick to buy knockoffs. If a one trick pony pedal is going to be much over $100, it should a life changing pedal imo. And this isn’t it. To me, as I said, the volume, bass, and treble are nice but the gain is too much.

But yeah, Boss, Ibanez, Vox, etc, I wouldn’t consider buying a knockoff because I know they’ve been around long enough that their product is gonna be what I expect. But some of these boutique upstarts charging unjustified prices, I don’t get.

7. MLHull

MLHull TDPRI Member

Any financially successful pedal is going to spawn knock-offs, both domestic and foreign. Unless it uses a proprietary chip set or other feature that makes that impossible

Bryan A likes this.
  8. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

I've had a Donner Boost Killer (RC Boost clone) for a long time. It cost $24, as opposed to $170 for the Xotic, and does that job well. That said, when I came across a used Xotic Super Sweet for $50, I jumped on it, no questions asked, and now it's on my board. But the Boost Killer is still doing its job on my small board.

Boutique makers are all cloning classic designs, so I have little problem with low-end companies doing it. Circuits can't be copyrighted.

Since I bought the Xotic used, do I owe them for buying their pedal secondhand?

Bryan A and blowtorch like this.
  9. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I have this pedal and it's really very awesome. Every now and then I do a shootout of all my way-too-many ODs and distortion boxes, and the Mosky B Box always comes out right at the top of the heap. (This has already been posted but I'm the originator of the thread) :
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/ive-b...my-1st-ever-board-surprising-results.1000036/

As for the naysayers who don't like the fact that it's a copy of a (much more expensive) pedal- don't listen to them.

As has been pointed out-you can't trademark/patent/copyright a circuit.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
    Michael A. and Bryan A like this.
  10. The Angry Possum

The Angry Possum Tele-Holic

I can relate..
    Only $30 for a Clone Ibanez Tube Screamer, has both TS9 and TS808 capabilities on a switch. Amazing Pedal.

20201103_083127.jpg

Bryan A and blowtorch like this.
  11. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I'm a bad boy!

After not buying any gear for many years, I actually had some money this year and bought ( among other items)
    4 JOYOS! - and like all of them:

American Sound ( Tech 21 clone)
    Britsh Sound ( Tech 21 clone)
    Vintage Overdrive ( TS clone)
    Sweet Baby ( MP Sweet Honey clone)

*edit-I do have purposes/utility for each of these, but I definitely had a curiosity about how good these may sound, as have read about all of these ( here, and demos) for years, and wanted to hear for myself!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
    Bryan A likes this.
  12. TX_Slinger

TX_Slinger Tele-Meister

Yeah, my Caline Pegasus @ $45 (Klone) and Joyo Ultimate Drive (OCD) @ $30 are great. I have Fulltone Fulldrive 3 on my list but may test drive the Joyo Maximum OD 1st @ $58 (FD2) then pass it down to the kids when I get the FD3. I don't gig so the popping in the switch of some of these doesn't bother me so much.

Bryan A likes this.
  13. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

I'm with you (Sorry Rich_S), I think it's an awesome basis for your dirty sound (or alone). Been on my board about 2.5 3 years now. Stacks well with other dirt, sounds good on its own (the gain setting, while a matter of taste, sounds best to me half way. Boost that sound for lead, or stack w/ fuzz, other dirt. We are in a renaissance for budget pedals!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.