1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Got the neck on but......

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by HBamps, Dec 2, 2008.

1. HBamps

HBamps Tele-Meister

So I got the neck on my first parts-o-caster (tele) without too much trouble. Thanks to the guys here I was really prepared and watched out for all the right things. I wanted to see what the complete guitar would look like and slapped the pickgaurd on. I noticed this big gap between the neck heel and the pickguard.

[​IMG]

Both the body and pick guard are Highway One.

My assumption is that the HWY1 tele necks have a hangover on the heel and thus have a slightly differently cut pickguard. I would like a pickguard to cover that gap. What to I look for?

Kind of clueless about this one.

John

2. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

According to the Fender website, the Highway One has a 22 fret neck. Fender 22 fret necks all have an overhanging fretboard. I'd say you just need to get a standard Telecaster pickguard.

3. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Looks to me like someone has previously butchered the pickguard.

4. 13ontheB

13ontheB Tele-Afflicted

Looks to me like the pickguard has been roughly chopped at,the edge should be perpendicular to the top,not jagged and angled back,and those curves in the cut-out don't look at all even. where did you get the pickguard,is it new or used?

5. LocustPlague

LocustPlague Tele-Holic

I had a Squier Strat with a 22 fret neck that had a pickguard that had the same ugly looking cut under the fretboard overhang. It came like that new...possibly to give the fretboard a little room?

6. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

My Stock HWY1 PG matches up to the neck pocket perfectly. Fretboard hang over or not. That looks like it was modded, and the edge scraped like that ma be to make it easier to get it under the fretboard overhand pehaps

7. HBamps

HBamps Tele-Meister

The pickguard is cut very nice and smooth. What you see in the picture is that clear vinyl protective sheet that comes over the pickguards when you buy a new Fender.

I think it's just intended for a 22 fret neck. Mine is a 21.

8. Doug Ferguson

Doug Ferguson Friend of Leo's

+1.

9. twangcaster1

twangcaster1 Friend of Leo's

Just get yourself a standard pickguard in MINT GREEN! Problem solved.:cool:

10. HBamps

HBamps Tele-Meister

That's exactly what I was thinking!
    The mint green would look awesome.

11. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

3TB ?? I was wondering how twangcaster could possibly ascertain that a Mint Green would look good on it with n pic showing the color ??

12. Stuco

Stuco Poster Extraordinaire

It looksike somebody cut that pickguard so they wouldn't have to remove the neck to remove the pickguard. Or maybe that's the way it came if it still has the protective plastic on it. Either way with your 21 fret neck that won't be a problem so just get a new pickguard and you are good to go.

13. caloyburger

caloyburger TDPRI Member

That's exactly my dilemma right now. Look at my recent thread:
    http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-tech/134757-highway-one-body-compatible-fender-reissue-neck.html

Is that a 2008 Highway One? Seems like I'm not alone then. Mine also has the gap and I'm pretty sure its the pickguard that's cut a bit short. At this point I'm assuming two things:

a. Since HWY1's are 22 frets this would be the ideal area to save on a bit of pickguard material since that gap won't be seen anyway when a 22 fret neck is attached. So these pickguards could be specific to the HWY1's.

b. HWY1's are the only Fender's that have 22 frets WITHOUT neck pickup height adjustment screws. So by creating that gap I would assume it's easier to remove the pickguard to adjust the neck pickup height without removing the neck.

All just a guess though.

I'm planning to try out a reissue white or mint green guard. I think that should do the trick.

14. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Banned

[​IMG]

Maybe someone has a 21 fret PG they'll trade you?

Good news is: I ran your fingerprints (on the p'up cover) and you're "clean"!
    :lol:

15. HBamps

HBamps Tele-Meister

I guess he likes mint green:) Here's the whole thing.
    [​IMG]

From the pics I have seen of mint green guards, they are not all that GREEN, more like a green tinted white. If that's the case, I think it'll soften up the look of this guitar.

16. HBamps

HBamps Tele-Meister

17. Robbied_216

Robbied_216 Tele-Afflicted

Mint green on sunburst I think looks totally HOT!!! I have a pretty aged mint green guard on a sunburst Strat, and it sets it off real nicely. If it wasn't 4 something AM in the morning, I'd take a pic...but I guess that'd come later...

18. old_picker

old_picker Tele-Afflicted

to me it looks like the screw holes could be wrong but make sure of this 1st

to check - find out where the 25.5" scale [12.75"] from the 12th fret to the trebel e string saddle - it should sit roughly in the centre to 3/4 of the saddle travel

wind your saddle out to around 3/4 and measure back from the center of 12
    and you should be pretty close - you need to have a bit in front and plenty behind in the saddle travel

i find with mine the treble e on most of em sit pretty much at 12.75" saddle to #12

i am a obssevive compulsive and i would do this before i buy or cut anything

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.