Got sacked

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Dan R, Sep 14, 2021.

1. fishermike

fishermike Tele-Meister

Not really. Employment law in most states is "at will". Either party can part ways, at any time, for any reason or no reason at all. I can quit for no reason, you can fire me for no reason. There's nothing illegal about canning someone just because you'd rather have somebody else do their job.

Assuming the OP is in an "at will" state (like the one you live in, by the way): Unless the OP is a member of a protected class AND can prove that they got fired because they are a member of that class, or got fired for some other illegal reason, they're SOL. I don't know the OP, but based on demographics here I'm gonna say he's probably a middle-aged white guy. Definitely not a protected class.

Still sucks for the OP, and I'm sympathetic. What I'm not sympathetic to is everyone that wants to sue when life doesn't go their way, or they get their feelings hurt. Huge part of what's wrong these days, IMO.

57joonya and SnidelyWhiplash like this.
  2. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Afflicted

All the luck in the world to you. I hope things turn out for the best.

3. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

I’m sorry that happened to you, Dan R. Hopefully a new door opens right up somewhere else and you really enjoy it.

Harry Styron likes this.
  4. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

that sucks...sorry to hear man

5. 57joonya

57joonya Tele-Meister

Geez- that’s a fine how do you do... good for u , leaving immediately

Manual Slim likes this.
  6. Masmus

Masmus Tele-Holic

I knew a guy that relayed this story to me and I found it interesting. He had worked as a welder building trailers outside. The owner left for a few days and left his son in charge. A thunderstorm rolled in and he was putting the welder away and the son came up to him and asked what he was doing and told him to get back outside and continue welding. As he continued to put his stuff away the son gave him a three day suspension. After the suspension he came back and was loading his tools in his truck when the owner came over and asked what he was doing, so he said that his son had given him three days off to find a new job. Sometimes bosses act like they are in control of you but that is only if you allow it. Btw if you go on job interviews every year you know who is hiring and what you are worth (if the offer you a job) you can keep up with what you need to stay employed and it is good practice if you are nervous during interviews. They are very easy when you don't need a job and it's a skill you can learn.

7. RhinestoneStrat

RhinestoneStrat Tele-Meister

Too bad you were not able to sing this epic tune before the boss gave you the axe.:oops::mad:

8. RhinestoneStrat

RhinestoneStrat Tele-Meister

You also need to summon Gazoo for revenge.;)

9. Masmus

Masmus Tele-Holic

I'm not sure but I think most legal problems arise out of specifically naming a company. Most places companies aren't going to pay a dime for you to keep quiet they just don't care. However if a former company wants you to sign anything they are getting something for your silence, that means it should be offered with some compensation.

10. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

Not sounding fair at at all, but as one door closes another opens, hopefully it works for the better for you

11. Skyhook

Skyhook Tele-Meister

This is what is known as "structural dismissal".
    Putting the employee in such a bad situation that they "understand that they're not wanted there anymore" and subsequently quit.

Manual Slim likes this.
  12. Skyhook

Skyhook Tele-Meister

Allow me to quote a couple of coffee mugs here...

"I work for money! If you want loyalty, buy a dog!"

"I can't be fired! Slaves have to be sold!"

Dan R likes this.
  13. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

I got replaced by a woman who had been marched out of her previous job for drunkeness, because the MD was sleeping with her, or so the gossip went. I beat her in the interview, and he put her on quickly. They all hated her, she did a terrible job and he was lucky to keep his job when he finally had to admit she was a dud.

It happens. Don't worry about it. It's only a job. It shouldn't define you, unless it's a passion.

14. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

Yup. A total coward’s move but probably fairly common.

bgmacaw likes this.
  15. David C

David C Tele-Meister

Just move on. I have had this happen to me a couple of times in my career. Every time I had it happen, I went out and got a higher paying job. Loyalty is a thing of the moment for employers. They want you to be "engaged" but they will cut you in a heartbeat.
    Also, I would not pay attention to getting an attorney involved. Just move forward. Most states allow employers to terminate your employment for any reason. You may have even signed papers to that effect when you took the job.
    So just forget about being mad, realize you are better off not spending time where they don't want you, and find someone who is happy to have you on their team, making more money.

One door closes, another one opens.

16. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I hope you got some kind of severance. The only time I was ever terminated, they presented me with an agreement in the HR exit meeting. It basically said that in exchange for $10000 and six months of health insurance, I would release them from any other obligation. This was after I got one poor performance review (nothing had changed from my previous “excellent” ratings) and I had been put on a 90 day performance improvement plan. I knew that no matter what I did in those 90 days, the process was laying the groundwork for what had already been decided. I was an older, better-paid engineer and they could get two recent grads for the same cost. The severance offering was to prevent me from taking them to court for age discrimination. Major corporations don’t offer that kind of a package out of kindness.

ale.istotle and bgmacaw like this.
  17. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

this. if they make the position redundant they have to redeploy you to other duties. you can only be sacked for misconduct or disciplinary issues. what does your contract say?

18. mrfitz98

mrfitz98 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Screw 'em. Fall up.

middy likes this.
  19. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Sounds like you've seen your share of barn dances before,
    What is said about putting lipstick on a pig?
    It's just a pig wearing lipstick.;)

20. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I've been on that ride twice. The excellent performance ratings to a sudden poor rating and a PIP are a good indicator of a non-job performance related firing is in the works. The last time it happened and they presented me with a nonsensical PIP I told them that they could (fill in the blank) and that I would have my attorney contact them. They came back quickly with a marginally acceptable separation agreement.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.