Got sacked

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Dan R, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Loyalty is just a word to keep you as part of the team. It sure seems to evaporate whenever it suits them.

But ugh. Time to dust your broom.

The Angle, middy, Dan R and 5 others like this.
  2. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

It's called gathering evidence. It's kinda what lawyers do. And if he successfully sues for wrongful dismissal, they kinda deserve it (in the eyes of the courts).

You see, we have these things called laws. They are designed to protect people and discourage bad behaviour.

Vibroluxer, Greggorios and Danb541 like this.
  3. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That kind of attitude cost purolator , $20,000.00 and bought me a down payment on a new house ( of course after a 3 year legal battle) that never saw a court room. but it paved away for a higher paying job with the federal government , better bennies and a great pension.

Greggorios, naneek and Danb541 like this.
  4. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Firing a 63-year-old is an a-hole move.

5. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

All of this talk of hiring a legal representative is just silly. A fantasy, really. Most states in our Union are " at will ", which means that your employer can fire you for just about any reason they see fit.

It sux, but the OP needs to just mourn & then pick himself up & move forward.

It's their loss... :)

57joonya, nojazzhere and 24 track like this.
  6. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

its interesting you say that because my lawyer told me it was my responsability to mitigate my position, ( get another job ) and we would look at the damages later, the letter of recommendation I got from purolator was their down fall.

in the ops case ,I agree at 63 it would be harder to get a career oriented job in his field.

7. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

Agreed. Age discrimination exists. Anyone who says otherwise is a damned fool... :rolleyes:

8. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

yes. I know about this sort of thing.
    My personal feelings and thoughts are not within the confines of the parameters of the rules for posting so I will withhold my comments on how hearing of your getting fired.:mad:
    You will get another job.
    You will retire and get social security.
    When you retire (I am retired ) you will be free of this kind of working experience.
    You will experience a new kind of freedom that you had never imagined, If yor experience is like mine .
    I had no idea, and then I retired and ...... well you'll see.
    Good luck my brother;)

P Thought, Greggorios and Dan R like this.
  9. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome to the future.....

The hypocrisy is unbelievable.....

Gotta except EVERYONE as long as they fit in with THEIR VISION

nojazzhere likes this.
  10. kafka

kafka Friend of Leo's

Their 'vision'. LOL. That's really rich. This is some bozo who has no clue, doing a cheap imitation of corporate intrigue so he can hire someone he can hit on. It's age discrimination, at the very least.

File a case with your local EEOC. They probably won't side with you, but at least it'll be a thorn in their side for a while longer. If you're lucky, they may be big enough to care about their insurance rates, and cave in and write you a check.

It's not that simple. Age discrimination is not a protected justification for adverse action. It is an uphill battle for the plaintiff, and the EEOC is a gatekeeper on any legal action. But employment 'at will' isn't an end-run around various kind of discrimination.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  11. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

I got thrown under the bus (long story) at my last job after 9.5 years. It was never a good fit. I was at my previous job for 17 years. I loved that job, but left to live in the same town as my soon to be wife. After I got fired, I said eff it and retired. HR professionals and MBAs have ruined working. I had GI bleeding and anemia that led to acute kidney failure. My doctor thought it was a lab error because I should have been dead. No job, perfect kidneys. Best thing that ever happened to me.

Timbresmith1 and nojazzhere like this.
  12. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Afflicted

Sue him. Wrongful termination. Get the Labor Board involved. Make him sweat.

13. Happy Enchilada

Happy Enchilada Tele-Holic

Tough losing your job. But it could be worse --- you could still be there and forced to work for and with this D-bag.

I personally got downsized out of 3 good corporate marketing jobs in 5 years before I had an epiphany and hung my shingle out on the WWW. Way before all the cool kids were doing it, and it's been an adventure. Not for everybody.

You might consider coming out to Idaho. Californos are moving here by the trainload and they're building new housing everywhere ... guy with your knowledge and skills might find it a target-rich environment. Plus the costs of living and quality of life are easy to live with.

I've always found solace in the age-old saw, "Living well is the best revenge."

Or you can always find out where he parks his car ...

57joonya, RobRiggs and nojazzhere like this.
  14. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

Firms that hire friends and family regardless of their abilities are rarely good environments
    you are better off out of there

15. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Very sorry to hear this, Dan R. It's a helpless, sickening, crapped-upon feeling, for sure. I've been there. But you've got your dignity and wise, determined perspective. So you win. Best wishes for a better future.

Telekarster, Dan R and Greggorios like this.
  16. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Afflicted

Put a brick through his window.

At least you would be creating some business for the company. :rolleyes:

17. Happy Enchilada

Happy Enchilada Tele-Holic

^^^^This. Time is all we really have in this life, and spending it well is all we can do. I am "semi-retired," and it gives me time to do things I would never get around to otherwise. Better than a sharp stick, as my Dad always said.

RobRiggs and nojazzhere like this.
  18. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Afflicted

Trying to get any settlement, out of the company that let you go, in an "at-will" state is slim to none. A defamation lawsuit would be your best chance (but that's a slim chance). If you can show where you were slandered or libeled you won't have to worry about meeting the requirements of state or federal wrongful termination.

Proving slander or libel will be difficult. Probably, the only opportunity to make a case would be if your previous employer were contacted by another company asking about your performance and were given a derogatory response. Case in point. In the early 70's, a major company I worked for were sued for slander and libel when a senior manager responded to a request for work performance history and recommendation of a recently released executive. The senior manager (by phone) said that the released executive was not "Worth a F@&#". The hiring company contacted the executive and repeated what was told to them. In court under oath the hiring company testified what happened was true. The released executive was awarded one million dollars and my company had to pay court costs.

Soon after this lawsuit was over, my companies HR put out notices that managers would no longer be allowed to talk to anyone for inquiries about past or present employees - only HR could do so.

19. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

My worst, the employee (female) left to care for her mother. Then, I was hired.

Six months later- she wanted to run back/ be rehired, forget about mom. Partner told me she was back in, and as her replacement- I was out. In the exit meeting, he was such an idiot, another of his partners told him to stop talking. Adios!

57joonya likes this.
  20. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

Bummer.

From comments (that seem to match your location - not always a sure thing here :)) it seems you’ll be job hunting in a market where labour is short - hopefully that will turn out to be true.

Probably / maybe doesn’t count for you & where you are, but where I’m originally from, the next move would be immediately filing a complaint at the employment tribunal, and getting new employment. Their preferred resolution is to have you taken back, but if you have found employment in the meantime that is ‘rewarding / promising / etc.’ then they’ll go to the second preferred resolution, which is money for the person brining the complaint.

Don’t ask me how I know. Literally, as I can’t answer (NDA upon settlement).

Anyway, good luck.

Pax/
    Dean

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.