Got sacked

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Dan R, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Sorry to hear. If a hot chick is essentially taking your position, it's time to call a lawyer. The optics won't favor the employer.

You won't get (or want) your job back, but they might have to give you some compensation... $ for you, and a little justice for the indignity.

Good luck

Timbresmith1 and Telekarster like this.
  2. Telekarster

Telekarster Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I wouldn't be surprised if your replacement is somehow connected to the GM and/or the family. I don't buy the "position is eliminated" crap. My guess is they'll just rename it or something, at best. I also wonder if your age had something to do with it e.g. retirement benefits, pension, etc.? Anyway, good luck to you man. Sounds to me like that place is turning toxic real fast... I saw this same thing happen once. I actually quit the place because it got so toxic, as did many others who followed me. 2 years later the place was out of business due to piss poor mgmt and plus the word got out that the place sucked to work for, so they couldn't get anyone to work for em LOL!!! :lol: Served em right for being tools :cool: Whatever you do, you'll be better off I'm sure of it!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    stinkey, Greggorios and nojazzhere like this.
  3. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Chicken pluckers.

Telekarster and nojazzhere like this.
  4. Vibroluxer

Vibroluxer Tele-Meister

I'm not lawsuit happy but I'd be talking to a lawyer about now. Good luck! It's a job seekers market right now. It will pan out for you, you know how to conjugate a verb! :)

nojazzhere and Telekarster like this.
  5. surfco

surfco Tele-Afflicted

Drop some nails near his tires.

3fngrs likes this.
  6. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

To follow up on the good advice of @Guitarzan and @Lawdawg, do not discuss your situation on social media, including TDPRI, and do not discuss it with anybody outside your spouse and your lawyer. It's very easy to say something that can be used to undermine your claim.

7. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I wouldn't put too much stock in the reasons for eliminating your position - like don't dwell on it in addition to the loss of job. Most people get very uncomfortable when firing. When people get uncomfortable they just ramble and string together words hoping it will be over soon. Fine Job and Vision are just filler - lazy avoidance words.
    Best of luck finding your next role. Remember the things you do well, the customers you helped and the value you bring. It's a job-seeker's market.

P Thought likes this.
  8. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

Potato up the tailpipe.

surfco likes this.
  9. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

You're entitled to nothing. Quit complaining. Accept this graciously and move on. Be grateful you were ever allowed to work there for a few days in the first place.

All this talk about lawsuits and doing damage to property is for Capital L Losers!

Edit - as someone who has recently been laid off a few times, ya it sucks, but ya just gota keep moving forward. Good luck!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    haggardfan1 likes this.
  10. televillian

televillian Tele-Afflicted

oops

11. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

A family business is a tough place to work if you’re not family.

12. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

It's the 21st century. All workplaces are family. And all the family members are sitting on opposite sides of the screen on Jerry Springer and Judge Judy.

nojazzhere likes this.
  13. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

One door closes and the next one opens.
    Keep positive, there’s a lot of positions to be filled, and good luck

14. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

No employer will ever give an advantage to their staff. They will only take advantage so you can pay for their new boat or RV or pickup truck.

haggardfan1, 3fngrs and nojazzhere like this.
  15. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

So sorry Dan. I've been there and it's horrible no matter how you slice it. My gut says you're better off out of there and I'll echo the sentiment of leaving gracefully-the alternative is just not worth the "emotional hangover" that goes with it.

I think it's better to just "get on with it" and start looking into what's next for you and just put this behind you. Having said that here's a couple of other thoughts.

No matter what, make some "contemporaneous notes" of what was said in your meeting with the new GM. It's good to make them when all is fresh in your mind and while you'll probably never need them, it's good to have them just in case.

I'm not a labor lawyer but the reasons given for your termination seem very suspect. They say your performance was fine but that you don't fit their vision. OK, what's the vision? You apparently fit it when you were originally hired so when did it change? Why weren't you given a heads up on the change and the opportunity to adapt to the new vision? Oh wait, they also said your position was eliminated-so what is it, the vision or elimination of the position? It's a national company so there's likely others in the same position in other locations-are they being terminated too?

A professional, polite, well worded letter reviewing the facts of your termination may help to get any termination package, severance or agreement "sweetened" and a labor attorney's input might be helpful.

naneek and nojazzhere like this.
  16. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Friend of Leo's

The good news is plenty of places are hiring.

I've never fired someone without legitimate reason and never sent someone down river when thier position was eliminated, always fought to get them something similar pay. And I've demoted my share of slackers and fired my share of thieves.

Depending on your interests and location, there may be somewhere better that needs someone with your outlook and general personality, and now you have reason to find them.

It sucks, but could turn out ok.

Harry Styron likes this.
  17. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

I’m not sure what all the people recommending getting a lawyer think the basis for a lawsuit is. His position was eliminated (so they claim). How this hell does anyone think the OP is going to prove they lied and even if they did lie, unless he can PROVE some kind of illegal discrimination, he still couldn’t sue.

Good luck finding a job when you sued your last employer. It sucks and my heart goes out to the OP, but this lawsuit fantasy is ridiculous. Better to stay in the real world.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  18. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Sorry to hear this. A classic company move. It is the 21st Century and plenty of labor laws to protect you, especially at your age. Yeah, don’t discuss on social media.

19. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

A lawyer doesn't have to be to sue. It can just be to protect your interests on the way out. In many cases severance is offered in exchange for a legal release of some kind. It makes sense to have that reviewed. A lawyer specializing in employment may know whether there is a potential claim for age discrimination and manage a fair settlement as compensation.

middy, Greggorios and Harry Styron like this.
  20. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Afflicted

"The position being eliminated" is usually a defense against accusations of discrimination or otherwise making it personal.

On the other hand, to say you "don't fit their vision" kind of contradicts that.

This guy can't even fire someone right.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.