Got sacked

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Dan R, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

I've been working for a national window company for the last two years. Everything was great. I liked the company, the people, the job. About 10 months ago we hired a new guy in the main office. It turns out he is "teacher's pet" to the Sales Manager who is the brother in law of the owner. Lots of family in the company but that has been fine.

All of a sudden this new hire is General Manager and more less everyone's boss. Here's where it gets interesting: He's never held a job even 2 years in his life. He has less than 4 years of experience in the window business and he's GM. Everyone is scratching their head wondering how this guy is qualified for this position. He's not, he's just pals with the brother in law.

I take my week vacation and return last week. The vibe in the office seems to be off. When the GM arrives on Friday unannounced, I become a bit worried. Sure enough he calls me in to talk. After some rambling around from him, I ask: Am I being fired? He says my position is 'being eliminated'. I highly doubt that is the case. It's more likely they want a fresh new face that is female in the showroom. They just hired a pretty girl for another office.

What made me rather angry is he admitted I was doing a fine job but I don't fit their 'vision' of what they want for the future. Company loyalty? Never again. Now I just want a job for a couple of years until I retire. I had two nice years, so at least there's that.

2. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

Yup, I learned looong ago thru similar situations,
    "It's Not what you know, it's Who you know"

3. imwjl

imwjl Doctor of Teleocity

Best wishes and good luck. It's a strong job market so play that well. This is a great community with lots of expertise and support so we're with you for a good outcome!

4. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Too bad you could not get that conversation in a recording. It sounds like someone is eliminating any potential competition in the company and you were perceived a threat. Being fired after you took vacation also probably allowed him to gain the support of the office as well. Admitting that you were doing a fine job and that you don't fit their "vision" is discrimination in the highest form. The hiring of "pretty faces" is a little concerning as well. I worked at a company that hired a new manager who had a penchant for young ladies. It did not last long until there were some, "relationship" issues.

dented, SRHmusic, Teleguy61 and 12 others like this.
  5. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I get the feeling you will end up in a better position in a job you like better. Good luck.

SRHmusic, dougstrum, ZackyDog and 7 others like this.
  6. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

What weasely move. The vacation angle is particularly infuriating.

57joonya, drewg, Telekarster and 3 others like this.
  7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

A couple of my favorites for this situation...

I've had that happen 3 times in my career. That makes me very hesitant to take more than a day or two for vacation.

8. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Man I'm sorry. It's rejection, "how couldn't I have seen," worry about the future, etc., all rolled into one. When it's mealy mouthed "we like you but" crap and they can't tell you what that "vision" is, that says to me they've got a toxic leadership style and you're better off.

I got laid off in 2018, it prompted a rethink of the next few years and a cross country move. There's been a lot of luck accompanying the process, but I hope similar fortune finds you.

57joonya likes this.
  9. tweeet

tweeet Tele-Afflicted

That would go straight to a tribunal over here if this was me....and would sue them for a bundle of cash.

10. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

The last time I took actual vacation time from a job I happened to check my email. My boss was also away that week and his boss took over. He sent me a new schedule that eliminated my position, demoted me, reduced my hours, and put me there all weekend with opening shifts following closing ones. When I returned home I left the company.

jays0n and Telekarster like this.
  11. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Afflicted

About ten years ago, I was let go from a job I loved that I'd been doing for almost 30 years. "Reorganization" was the official reason; "your position is being eliminated." A week later, the CEO of the parent company got a $27 million bonus as a reward for cost-cutting. Three months later, a fresh college grad was hired to do my old job under a slightly different title for a lot less pay. That was the extent of the "reorganization." The company just wasn't willing to pay for experience anymore, flat and simple.

I was devastated, until a friend said to me, "Sometimes you don't know you're in a cage until someone leaves the door open."

You're leaving behind some smelly BS. Focus on that. Right now is a good time to be in the job market.

12. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

That's rough, man. It's probably small comfort now but I'd say you're better off not working for people like that. Here's hoping you have the luxury to bask in that fact sooner rather than later.

Greggorios and Manual Slim like this.
  13. Rockdog

Rockdog Tele-Afflicted

I'm sorry you had to go through that. This guy has clearly read up on what corporate lingo to use to convey that it's not personal. "We're eliminating your position"...what a crock. I agree with the posters above that you're better off without working under that sad excuse for leadership.

In truth, I don't know a single person who's been fired from their job who hasn't taken it personally. It doesn't get much more personal than being stripped of your livelihood. I know that sounds dramatic, but to some people, a job is the only thing keeping them from living under a bridge.

14. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

You may want to find a good plaintiff's attorney in the employment field and have a conversation.

Be quiet, play it cool, let them hire your replacement, and find out who it is.

https://www.dol.gov/general/topic/discrimination/agedisc#:~:text=The Age Discrimination in Employment,conditions or privileges of employment.

15. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

OP, you are older & I assume both male & Caucasoid. That's 3 strikes against anyone in today's more " diverse " work environment. :rolleyes:

hotraman, Thrillbilly, Pawdog and 4 others like this.
  16. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

I had something similar happen, only I was out sick for a couple of days. I came back and the boss calls me in and says, "Well, you know you think you're going in one direction and then to stay current with the market sometimes you wind up going in a different direction and the things you planned don't work out so you need to make new plans, blah, blah, blah." Finally I said, "Are you firing me???" and he looks really startled and embarrassed (which he should consider all the uncompensated overtime I worked), and he says, "Well, yes, I guess I am."

Only a month before at a party he was gushing to my wife telling her how indispensable I was and how much he valued my input, yada, yada, yada.

In the long run he did me a huge favor, but it sure stung at the time.

nojazzhere and Danb541 like this.
  17. PeteWaller

PeteWaller Tele-Meister

I am glad I am self employed because I have met many bastards like that............our goverment here in the UK is a prime example:(

18. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Holic

Hey, man, sorry to hear this. I was canned from my job a year ago after raising questions about a doofy scheme they had concocted to sell one of their clients' branding nationwide. It was a total $hitshow at the place, and after 5 years there I hated it so much I was almost glad to leave.

Like you, I just wanted a Mcjob to tide me over a couple years till retirement. There's no shame in this, at least not for me. The business I was in has changed so much over the last 10 years that I have no interest in continuing a professional career. I've been working at a warehouse on a night shift and, to my surprise, actually kind of like it. The people I work with are down to earth and friendly, I'm in better shape than I've ever been, and have lost 20 lbs.

My point is, you'll find something and you'll make it work. From here on out, all you need is something you can tolerate and that will pay the bills. Forget about "career" and "professional development," and leave behind the BS of office politics. You may even find you like your new work life better than the old one.

Vibroluxer and Telekarster like this.
  19. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

Take your vacation. In my state, if you quit or are terminated, the company doesn't have to pay any unused PTO.

20. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

something similar to that happened to one of my brothers. he lawyered up and got two years health benefits and a years salary WITH his projected bonus.

That guy sounds like someone none of us would dig... maybe at least make him squirm. In my brother's case, he had several clients who refused to do business with the company (a very large sporting goods company) for a year in protest for not having been brought in on the issue prior to term. In the end, the vp who did the firing (who was hiring his best friend in place of my brother) was fired within 6 months. My brother was asked back, but by then had taken another job.

Go crush those bastids.

GoldDeluxe5E3, middy, Sconnie and 9 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.