Got rid of my smartphone

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Rhythm Thief, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Hi-Fi Jim

Hi-Fi Jim Tele-Meister

I'm not using tech on the job at all. Supervisor? Sure but he's in a different position and my lack of a smartphone is not what's keeping me from being a supervisor. My girlfriend uses iPads but that is not a smartphone. I thought this thread was about smartphones?

The people I know who are un/underemployed do not have the money for rent and food, let alone a fancy smartphone and it's monthly charge. No, not everyone can/wants to afford the luxury of a smartphone. And at this point, it is a luxury for many people... especially in this economy.

I have no fear of technology (I'm an avid hi-fi enthusiast), I just have zero need for a smartphone.

2. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

The smart phones are very important for some at bottom or entry level jobs. This became evident to me at the IT director level when HR systems and HR got more and more outsourced. I see people who don't have stable living but trying hard to work needing the Internet and messaging because that's how they get their work schedules, work instructions, view their pay stubs, and make requests to their bosses in addition to make a call.

These are people who can't afford a PC, often share where they live, and sometimes are homeless or near homeless but really trying hard to make it.

3. Warm Gums

Warm Gums Friend of Leo's

I was making a more global argument speaking to the link between the fear of technology and the failure to embrace a paradigm shift such as the smartphone. I'm not speaking of the working poor ,many of which have embraced smart phones and use them in a powerful manner , (see the post above.) but older professionals who often have the attitude of "I never needed that, why start now", and wonder why their job search is not bearing fruit, and/or they feel out the loop. If you are happy in your situation my argument is not intended for you.

4. Fink132

Fink132 Tele-Meister

Uh try the Samsung note.... It's basically a TV

5. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

I get calls from those people frequently. They're maybe at home or maybe at the library because they don't have their own computers, they frequently are barely able to speak English, and they're trying to log into a website to set up their direct deposit or check their schedule because their managers told them to do it on their own time despite the fact that they CAN'T set up their accounts from home.

Of course, these people work for minimum wage and are probably completely unaware of how to use a computer at all even if they could afford to buy one - but some overeducated guy who doesn't have a clue about the composition of the workforce in Southern California grocery stores decided that EVERYONE has internet access and it's just SO much more convenient to do everything online!

Sorry, but just because all the "cool people" have the gadgets doesn't mean that EVERYONE has them. It certainly doesn't mean that everyone should, and it really REALLY doesn't mean that people who don't have them don't deserve to work even a minimum wage entry level service industry job.

6. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

smartphone pushback :rolleyes:

I wonder how many kids of the 50s/60s who pretended they were buck rogers talking on their space phone pine cones grew up to be crotchety science fiction-turned-reality haters?

7. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

All I intended was pointing out how these things are valuable tools in ways and places some might not expect, and why some might misunderstand a poor person having one.

They're more affordable than many realize with people getting used phones and inexpensive pre paid plans.

8. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

lol, a co-worker from a few years back had the theme from The Exorcist let him know it was his Ex calling :lol:

9. Delta Blues

Delta Blues Tele-Afflicted

I've got a TV but I ditched cable a year ago. If I want to watch something I stream it. But honestly I only watch one or two movies a month at most. I'm usually too busy at practice or off fishing and hiking.

10. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Did not know Darth Vader had a theme

Sent from my iPad using TDPRI

11. Muddslide

Muddslide Friend of Leo's

I've had a few but they always crudded out on me pretty quick. Either the screen will go permanently black or the port will stop taking a charge or something, I take good care of my stuff too.

I gave 'em up finally. I was resistant to even having a cell phone, but now I just have a simple "dumb" phone. Fewer problems. It makes and receives calls and texts, and takes photos. I don't need or want it to do anything else.

I have a new Samsung Galaxy that was issued to me for my work. I have to carry it like an albatross around my neck. I'm on call 24/7.

I'm trying to land a different job and I can't wait to dump the thing. It's nice to have decent internet access by phone, and navigation, etc. But I don't really need it.

I don't plan to ever have a smart phone again, but someday that might be the only available option.

12. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry, wasn't meaning to direct anything at you - just that it seems like a lot of people assume that anyone without a constant portable connection to the internet is somehow a defective member of society, which is no more a valid perspective than to assume that poor people can't have a smartphone at all.

13. fuzzbender

fuzzbender Former Member

if you can do without something, you can do without it

a sign of self sufficiency?

14. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Apparently some people aren't self-sufficient enough to not need something without needing to tell everybody about how much they don't need it.

15. Rhythm Thief

Rhythm Thief Tele-Holic

Well, that wasn't my intention, although a few people seem to think that's what I was doing. It just seemed that there might be a conversation in it, that's all. And - six pages later - it appears I was right.;)

16. Frodebro

No, your thoughts were perceived by me to be more of a curiosity about who uses 'em and who doesn't, which apparently was exactly what you intended. Some people, however, seem to like to kick things up to the extreme on stuff like this, without really realizing that their presentation comes out a bit on the strong side.

17. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Are we kissing and making up yet or still slinging cow pies?

Sent from my iPad using TDPRI

18. Frodebro

Duck, you sucker!

19. Rhythm Thief

Rhythm Thief Tele-Holic

I've got a cow pie slinging app. I'll fax it to you.

20. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

LOL Where's the fun in that?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.