Got rid of my smartphone

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Rhythm Thief, Oct 9, 2013.

1. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    How long have you been using the prototype?:p

2. Warm Gums

Warm Gums Friend of Leo's

One of the things I notice is a correlation between the people who have long hard work hours, or limited part time, and/or low paying employment, or a problem getting what they want out of life, and the people who complain about cell phones, television, computers etc. These are the modern equivalent of the people I grew up with who didn't have a phone or at best a had multi party line, and were just "getting by"

About 15 years ago my wife was short listed for a dream job, but they ended up going with a different candidate. At the last min. the new hire got cold feet and declined the job, they called to offer my wife the position, and left a message on our answering machine. We did not have cell phones at the time viewing it as a unnecessary expense.
    We were away for the weekend and failed to check our messages; the job went to the third candidate who was reachable, and responded promptly, the hiring mgr., gave my wife a "bit of helpful advice" if you are a professional you are never far out of touch, to be out of touch can result in leaving serious money on the table and missing life changing/advancing opportunities.

If we had checked out messages, (or had cell phones) my wife would have moved into a job that would have rewarded her with significant opportunities for travel and much higher pay. You can always get off a train but it's hard to get on after it leaves the station. She has never had such an opportunity again.

There are people who have no problem with the advancement of technology, they are the ones who will be taking what good jobs are left. They are never unreachable.

3. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

ummmm, good job?:cool:

uuhhhh, way to go?:eek:

4. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I'm with you. I like my unconnected time. The people who obsess about a thread or a phone message or an email… that is just compulsive behavior and kind of regrettable….

maybe some of those folks were checking on kids or deals in the works and dreaded running to town but needed to…

My kids and I text during the day (usually a couple of times a day) and if I'm in a remote location, I usually have told them, but if there is an opportunity to check in, I usually do…

For work stuff, I totally disconnect, but I always provide instructions… I was thrilled to discover that I have zero cell service at the ranch…

5. ItchyFingers

ItchyFingers Tele-Afflicted

I gave up my smartphone for a couple years to save money and got a keebo on a pay as you go plan that cost me about $10 a month and could text and call on it.

When I took a job as "CAR SALESMAN" <<<(no longer for now) the boss clearly told me I had to get a smartphone. It turned out to be very handy as you could snap a pic of a vehicle and send it to a customer who was interested in a heartbeat.

I used to refer to the backroom as "The room of Doowe Screwem and Howe."
    That room is not run by the car salesman. pssssst I used to whisper to the customer right before they went to the back room "remember, you can say no to anything because quite frankly they will rob you blind in there although some things are necessary such as ensuring the vehicle loan.
    Markup on some backroom items I noticed were as much as 200%.
    It is NOT a ploy for the actual car salesman to talk to the manager.
    We were not allowed to reduce the price one cent without Manager's approval.
    I knocked off a hundred bucks once and got told to never do that again. (got the sale though but that was after the Manager's original approvals.
    Some can give 1% before going to the boss depending on the dealership.
    It all depends on the Management's rules.
    The saleman is only allowed to go so far in the negotiation. The saleman's job is firmly to help in the selection of the vehicle only and not the pricing in a lot of locations. I don't know how many customers wasted my time by not giving me the information I needed to do that. If you don't tell me what you can afford, how can I help you select a car? Younger folks seem to have no clue what they cannot afford.
    I used to tell people to knock 10% off everything including the sticker price and options.
    Now with internet advertising they have to be much more competative leaving less wiggle room on pricing. If you get 1 or 2 percent you're doing well around here. But I could give you mudflaps pffffft lol.

But anyway, I am back to using my smart phone because of that but was able to negotiate a great deal on the rate. 6 gig of data. unlimited text and talk anytime all over Canada for tax all in under $50 per month. It cost $100 a month when I originally cancelled the service and that was without making any phone calls on it. It takes great pictures and videos too. I have used the Mapping function and GPS to find places a few times when I got off the beaten track.

I do prefer texting for a lot of things because if you forget what address they gave you or what to buy when shopping, instead of calling again. Just re-open the text.
    Unfortunately in some circumstances the lack of inflection in the voice, the tone of laughter is very wide ranging compared to LOL. In short you have to read between the lines and guess in what context the text is. I depends on the conversation obviously but when we fill in the blanks ourselves we generally fill them in all wrong.
    Important conversations need to be at least in voice if not face to face.
    More than 3 texts on a date by my date and I'm outta there.
    Texting while in company screams "You are just not that important to me." Buh Bye. And why do dates always insist on taking my picture with their smartphone. Put the freakin thing away.

6. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

My first mobile phone was something required for my employment at the time and it was a Cellular One bag phone in my car with a handset bigger than what you probably have in your homes with a curly cord.

I've had iPhones for a while now and will never go back.

7. Scantron08

Scantron08 Tele-Afflicted

You know, my mom used to say the same things about microwaves.

I don't have to look at the screen on my iPhone to make a call - I just push the button and say, "call mom," and it does.

8. Warm Gums

Another thought somewhat connected to my previous post.
    I have a co worker who is a recent college grad, bright, but not particularly motivated,sort of the stereotypical "millennial". We were at lunch the other day with a older colleague. I knew the M had a job interview with a app developer who worked in area of the M's personal interest, I asked how the interview had gone "not well I never got a chance to down load the app and work with it, so....." while I'm thinking..really.... you had a interview with an app developer and....the older guy pipes up with "I guess I wouldn't have done well I don't even own a smart phone haw haw haw". This is one of those guys who is constantly late, forgets meetings, etc., the calendar app alone would be worth the price of admission. I really don't understand limiting your options in anyway, much less like this; empowerment for both of these folks is right there like low hanging fruit, but like so many they can't be bothered to reach for it.

9. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

I paid 30 bucks for my cell phone and it costs me 10 bucks a month. I wouldn't own one if I didn't need it for my job. 5-10 1 minute calls per week.

A cell phone is an electronic leash for the married man. Wife's best friend. :lol:

10. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Hey, I can ask Google thru my smartphone how to ask a girl out. Now that's progress.

11. coralreefer

coralreefer Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

12. Warm Gums

I used to gig with a guy who's ringtone for his wife was the Darth Vader theme..
    Da da da dut da da dut da da;)

13. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

You put the lime in the coconut and drink them both up .
    Put the lime in the coconut and call me in the morning . ;)

14. Hi-Fi Jim

Hi-Fi Jim Tele-Meister

Or perhaps the people who work long, hard hours have zero use for a smartphone at work? And maybe, the part-time or low paid employee is unable to afford the monthly service for a smartphone? I can certainly see how a smartphone benefits professionals and small business owners but there are plenty of other occupations that don't require such gadgets, i.e. teachers, firefighters, blue collar trades, etc. While these phones maybe useful in their personal lives, they are not a requirement for employment or advancement.

15. Warm Gums

My wife is a music teacher, the job she missed out on was a teaching job at a private school with an excellent program. She constantly uses various tuners, chord charts, rhythm trainers etc. Local school system early retired over 50 teachers last year who refused to embrace i pad based tech to keep students and parents in the loop (homework, tutoring etc.) you can't be a fossil in the eyes of your students, and their parents.

Firefighter? Fitness is important, tons of work out apps, I use one for a rowing machine, keeps things interesting, some guys have side jobs, again the scheduling apps lets you see how things link up, can't be in two places at once.

Trades? All sorts of apps for various formulas, plus scheduling, I just got a roof, the guy who got the job sent me text with an link to an estimate one hour after seeing my house, it was on a type of spread sheet that is a app for contractors. I just got a phone call from one other guys I contacted apologizing for missing THREE appointments, and wondering if he could still do an estimate, dude the roof is ON..

This is the correlation I'm speaking of, the world moves fast, people who don't embrace everything that is offered to them and others are using are loosing out, and raging against the machine just makes it worse..

I was out of work, I took some courses online on the train & at lunch while working temp jobs and improved my skill set no tuition cost to me, work smarter not harder, Why wouldn't you want to be connected to major universities, libraries, music services, and have a recording studio in your pocket? Sure you could waist your time watching cat vids, and texting about nothing; if no motivation to improve your situation exists a device probably won't provide it, but for those who are looking for something better or to be more efficient a smartphone can be a powerful tool.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  16. Hi-Fi Jim

Hi-Fi Jim Tele-Meister

I see your point and understand their necessity in some jobs but:

My girlfriend is public elementary school teacher and owns a smartphone. It does not leave her purse. No need. She has a camera that the school supplies. She has a computer for emails and internet. There's never been in a need in the years she's owned a smartphone to take it out and use it for anything other than an emergency phone call (which of course could be done on a flip-phone or even the landline in the classroom). Her principal is unaware what phone she owns as it has no importance in her job. She has iPads supplied by the school that she uses with the students.

Myself, I am an industrial electrician who has zero use for a smartphone. If I'm running a job as a foreman, the contractor will issue a phone (a heavy duty flip-phone). Some workers choose to carry smartphones, but it makes them no more employable than those without because it serves no purpose in our line of work. Supervisors carry smartphones because they have a need to communicate with supers of other trades, suppliers, check email, etc. If a supervisor saw one of us on a smartphone (for whatever reason, and especially if we were attempting to use a goofy level or flashlight app), our check would be out the same day. There's simply no useful application for it in my line of work. Formulas I use are in my head or handbook (far more convenient with gloves or greasy hands), and an old calculator (again, same thing). Using a smartphone that times out, has no reception (often in basements), or dead batteries is a waste of time (and will get a person laid off).

While, smartphones have their uses and help so many speed up and simplify their jobs, it's not that way for everyone.

17. Warm Gums

Yes but you are still using tech, I'm less concerned with actual on the job use and speaking of the luddite like fear/dislike of "cell phones, television, computers.." Your wife may not use her phone but she is using tablets, your supervisors are using hem, I'm talking about the folks who are un/underemployed who are still mailing out resumes, watching the newspapers for jobs, giving out a land line as a contact, and complaining about the cost of re/education.Often they are in poor physical shape & slipping into depression. They can't come up with the cost of a SP plan? Perhaps but plenty of the people have money for a whole host of other things
    that have no potential for improving their lives, which is fine, but then don't complain about the banks, government or anyone else holding you back.

18. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

:rolleyes:
    I didn't and don't worry about that. All the supervisors, my self included, were there, and corporate in China knew we were all out of touch ahead of time.

So, that "your career is never going anywhere" bull is just that. Oh and by the way, the fear and hatred of technology doesn't cut it either. We are all engineers working with Hewlett Packard and Microsoft. We're all ignorant luddites.

19. Warm Gums

Maybe the "townies" were looking for a job at Apple...:twisted:
    Sorry to upset you, but the iPhone changed my life, I have no problem calling a pointed digging tool, a pointed digging tool, and I see it as a powerful self improvement device for those who choose to put it to creative use.

20. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Not likely. They don't pay enough.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.