Got rid of my smartphone

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Rhythm Thief, Oct 9, 2013.

1. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I wasn't referring to the OP and whether it's about phones or tech in general is beside the point. As for every generation being hipsters.. No, not really, at least not in the sense I mean.

You might want to follow your own advice.;)

2. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

My apologies if it's already been said, but at some point the only phones available may be smart phones. My wife wanted a simple text capable phone with physical keyboard when her's died. We could find only one model and the sales person thought those would be gone in a year.

The death will be from infrastructure. Just try to buy and install a dial phone at home, most service provider systems will not work with that standard.

Also mass market and new users will drive out the manufacture/sales of old models. I would bet my next three paychecks there is not one first time cell phone buyer shopping for anything but a smart phone.

3. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Nokia recently launched a very nice non-smartphone.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/08/nokias-nicest-dumbphon/

"Dumbphones" are still incredibly popular in less developed countries and plenty of old models are still produced.. Your sales person either didn't know what they were talking about or just meant that they would no longer carry those models.

4. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

5. kevoz

kevoz Tele-Holic

Dinosaur here. I don't have one and I don't want one. I'm thinking about getting ipod to load songs.

6. Rhythm Thief

Rhythm Thief Tele-Holic

:lol: Like it.

7. CrisHendrix

CrisHendrix Tele-Afflicted

I guess when you say things like:

..it kinda sounds like you're putting down people who use smartphones.

I couldn't care less what others do with theirs, or even what kind of phone they use.. my phone helps me make money, write books, maintain websites, communicate with customers, get directions, etc.. no way I'd ever go back to old technology.

8. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

get an iPhone, you can load songs and take and make phone calls

Sent from my iPad using TDPRI

9. Delta Blues

Delta Blues Tele-Afflicted

I've been cell phone free since 2010. I quit at the same time I quit smoking.

10. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Poster Extraordinaire

I had a flip phone for years. It even flew off of my dashboard once.:eek: Luckily I decided to go back and get it off of the road, because it still worked! I finally had to get a smartphone for work. Being a plant manager on the nightshift, I am happy when everyone from dayshift is asleep and I can turn the damn thing off for the night.:cool: Most of the discipline slips I have to issue at work are for cellphone usage on company time. I have even had to fire people because of their phone addiction. :mad: Its a nightmare trying to enforce company policy regarding cell phone usage. :rolleyes:

11. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

...as they're logged on 10 hours a day, posting to the tdpri.com among other websites I'm sure. But yes, they shun modern technology :lol:

However, the best to me are the 'I don't own a TV' guys. Therefore, they're morally superior to the rest of us-- those guys are THE BEST.

12. StuR

StuR Banned

We don't have a TV, for a couple of reasons. Main one is that there's so much crud on UK TV that it wouldn't be on much if we did. I'm very much more into music than viewing so the money went on the hi-fi.

Also, in the UK you're not-quite-legally obliged to pay for an annual license of IIRC around £140. While I was out at work my other half received visits from their officials making intimidating threats about forcing entry to check there was no TV etc. They sent a letter a few weeks ago to say they were due to make another visit; so I'm glad that I'll be in this time to "greet" them.
    On the rare occasion that I hear of some "essential" viewing I'll watch it online & they can shove their license charge.

13. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Tele-Holic

I prefer a text message to a call, especially if I can't answer the phone. Voicemail is stupid, IMO; a text message is durable, and can convey more information than a voicemail, especially in an environment with a lot of background noise.

Having a cell phone is, for a me, if not a requirement, then a significant convenience; I'm on two hour recall, so without the cell phone, I'd have to call the duty desk and let them know where I was at all times. No bueno!

14. Rhythm Thief

Rhythm Thief Tele-Holic

I don't have a telly, either, because (as Stu R says), everything on it is crap here in the UK. I don't think it makes me better or worse than anyone else.

15. Rhythm Thief

Rhythm Thief Tele-Holic

Oh, I definitely need a mobile phone ("cellphone" is a much better word for it!), just not a smartphone. I did without a mobile for years after they came in, but I'd struggle without it now.

16. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

The middle of last month I went on a company camping trip (team building you know). The resort area we went to had no cell service, it was in the bottom of a canyon in the middle of the desert. It was amusing to watch people literally go into withdrawal. Several of them drove into town, a couple of times a day, so they could check they're messages and emails.

Its a sickness.

I still enjoy actually getting away from the annoyances of "being in touch."

17. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

Went to Star Party in the panhandle of OK this last week. No cell service, but the camp did have limited wireless. A really good phone can pick up spotty cell service on the top of the mesas and/or volcanoes that are around there.

Not having cell service or any type of connection away from camp was not a big deal most of the time. However, I would like to bring my bicycle and ride up there, and I would have no way to contact anyone if something went wrong. Cell service will probably make or break the deal on me ever bringing my bicycle up there.

Other than that I just tell the wife, I am out of touch other than email for a week. See ya when I get home. By the time I hit Guymon going home there is limited cell service.

18. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My mom is like this to varying degrees, but not just limited to her phone. She has an obsession with getting the mail (I can remember as a kid being sent out two or three times to check the mailbox even though we knew the mail usually came a little bit later), and her phone addiction started back before cel phones existed.

Before smart phones and texting were commonplace, she would get so freaky about NEEDING TO ANSWER THAT PHONE NOW that my brother and sister-in-law wouldn't let their kids ride with her in the car. When the phone rang it literally became the top priority in her world, and she would swerve all over the road while digging through her purse to find her phone.

19. PaulStrattele

PaulStrattele Tele-Holic

Maybe the gen pop thinks its a burner phone and you're up to no good.:)

I have to admit, when I see someone thats not my Dad's age with a flip I tend to think that, somewhat jokingly.

20. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Ostrich spectacles .
    They will need a switch to turn off neural synapses .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.