Got rid of my smartphone

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Rhythm Thief, Oct 9, 2013.

1. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

It would cost me $ thousands per month to get rid of my smart phone with added expense best described as bad mental health.

Please, I don't even want to think about renting office space, hiring more people, higher telco costs, carrying more stuff, driving a few thousand more miles per year, carrying more tools tools, slower response to people, and more time away from home and family.

2. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

3. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

If I can make a recommendation for a tuner app, the Peterson iStrobo app is profoundly good.

4. Red Square

Red Square Friend of Leo's

Funny how new technology can really bring out the grumpy old man in us.

5. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

tks

6. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

old fart flip-phoner here.

I actually detest smart phones, what they have done to society, especially traffic.

Texting is stupid, just call me. If you dont want to make a call, email me, I'm in front of a computer 8 hours a day.

Only Twitter is more stupid than texting.

#THAT.

no, I dont really know what hashtag means. I dont care, either.

7. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I'm a late adopter of the smartphone, having only owned one for the past 7 months or so. It's awesome.

You guys eschewing smart phones because you don't want to be one of the zombies seen walking down the street texting or talking on their phones are just throwing the baby out with the bath water. You don't have to do that. I never do, and I rarely use my phone in my car either. In fact, I rarely use my phone as a phone at all.

You guys are missing out, especially since you're musicians. I can record killer demos and develop songs on my phone, using the Garageband app, or any of several other multi-track recording apps. Best of all, I can do it anywhere. What exactly is the disadvantage? I 'll answer for you..there is none. It's all upside.

It's not really a phone....it's an awesome , hand held mini-computer that happens to make phone calls.

Now, you can get back to yelling at young whippersnappers to get off of your lawns.

8. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Something like 6-7 months ago I posted in a thread how I LOVED my cheap Samsung flip phone and had NO desire to change.

So old dogs CAN learn new tricks, and change :D

That said, for some folks a flip is just better, and certainly easier to use just as a phone, and it's none of my business what anyone uses or if they have a cell phone at all!

9. urizen

urizen Tele-Afflicted

Yup...none for me, thanks---still got a landline too... and I LOVE the U. S. Postal Service (as venerable a hallowed and beneficient institution as public libraries are).

10. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Friend of Leo's

Everything in moderation. It goes for smart phones too. I suppose I could get along with a compass, pencil and paper, but I'd rather not. Especially since you can't find a pay phone anymore.

This weekend I was walking around Boston and used the GPS on my Galaxy S4 for the first time. Worked like a charm. Found the train station on my first shot in the dark. Don't need a camera anymore either. If I need to reach my kids I text them and they answer within moments. Works like a charm for me.

If people are anti-social or bad drivers I suppose the smart phone phenomenon exacerbates the problem, but that's more on the individual than the device. I get the OP's point, but I'm not giving up my smartphone anytime soon. I'd need to start carrying around encyclopedias and a dictionary at this point.

11. Lawson

Lawson Tele-Holic

Never owned one, because I'm poor. Will get one for, uhm, practical reasons when I get rich.

12. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

For those of you whose lives and jobs can easily be dealt with by 1970s technology, more power to you. Unfortunately, my world is much more complicated than that. Any tool that makes my job easier and more efficient is a godsend.

13. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I have a dumb phone. A real basic cell phone that I use to order food between doctor's appointments or allow people who need to, to get a hold of me. A friend sent me a cheap android based tablet with a wi-fi connection. I can use it for all the smart stuff and use the phone for phone stuff. It keeps my universe in order that way.

One of these days I'm going to buy and ipad, but that will be mostly for music apps.

14. Manolete

Manolete Friend of Leo's

I'm 24, yet I had a similar upbringing and outlook as a child. This did set me out a bit at school however. I didn't have a games console! I still don't derive any pleasure from sitting down and following through the 'plot' of a video game...

15. Telesavalis

Telesavalis Friend of Leo's

Bring back the BRICK!

16. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

+42 but with the drawback that it doesn't work in a noisy pub.

The ridiculously named "SPLnFFT" is a really good dB and frequency meter.

17. Frodebro

Hey, does this app use the phone mic only, or can it be used with an interface (iRig, etc)?

I was looking at getting it, but it appeared that it was mic only, which for some reason turned me off.

18. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

I use my Samsung Galaxy a lot for work. Phone, text, and internet, it's all good. There's also a button on the side that turns it off, for family time.

I was waiting to pick my daughter up from school the other day. You park against the curb in the southbound lane, and the kids walk across the street from the school to your vehicle. As I sat there, bored (and looking at Youtube on my phone, while I was parked, I admit it) I saw a car stop next to my jeep. I glanced up, as you tend to do when you see something out of the corner of your eye, and saw the driver, a woman in her 50s, reading a book while navigating through traffic. In a school zone. While teenagers, not known to have the best judgement at any time, crossed the street. I hollered at her, trying to flag her down, but her window was up, and she was too immersed in her book (with pages and everything) to pay attention to me anyway. She was gone and turned the corner before I could react any further.

Maybe the printing press is an evil soul sucking device too. Or maybe stupid people do stupid things, no matter what the technology is.

19. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

LOL!

One day going home in rush hour (yes, OKC has a sort of rush hour), I saw my brother up ahead. I tried to get his attention, but failed. As I pulled up beside him and looked in, he had his checkbook on the steering wheel, bank statement in one hand, and pen in the other, balancing his checkbook, while driving through rush hour.

Yeah, the cell phone zombies are not new, but they are out in hordes.

20. Frodebro

There's your answer, but for some it's more convenient to blame the technology-especially if it's a technology that you either don't like or don't understand, and want to have eliminated.

I communicate more with text messages than live phone calls, but my conversations are rarely real-time. My friends and family know that with my funky work schedule that I'm sometimes difficult to get a hold of, and go to bed at different times without any pattern. So everybody sends me text messages, and I respond when I can.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.