Got rid of my smartphone

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Rhythm Thief, Oct 9, 2013.

1. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

:lol: :lol: :lol:

2. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Radio?? Get out of here with that blasphemous nonsense. We use smoke signals, and on windy days we just throw rocks at each other. Big ones are consonants, small ones are vowels.

3. Manolete

Manolete Friend of Leo's

I have some minor gripes with my smartphone. Firstly the battery appears to last ~12 hours with fairly average usage; even the screen is a heavy drain of power. Secondly, it glitches out and triggers the Voice Search function when I hit the home button. Apparently this can be fixed if I root the phone and/or flash a different OS on there that lets me freeze pesky programs. Thirdly, when making calls it can be difficult to shift between getting the keypad up on screen (say, for phone banking that requires numbers typed in during the call) and getting it away so that my cheek doesn't tap in numbers. A further problem is having it turn off the screen when I hit the 'hang up' button after a call, leaving me on the line. Good for leaving random swearing on my girlfriend's voicemail, but annoying none the less.

There does appear to be a smug complacency about people too "smart" or "social" to own a smartphone, when in reality they cannot admit that the technology confuses them. Same with people who either delete or have never owned a Facebook. The lady doth protest too much, etc etc.

4. Rhythm Thief

Rhythm Thief Tele-Holic

I appreciate that. The thing that annoyed me more than anything was that it was difficult to use as a phone. That, and the fact that merely to use it as a phone meant inputting a good deal of personal data into it. That's why I got rid of it, more than anything. I'm still old fashioned enough to not answer my phine if it rings while I'm in company so I wasn't especially worried about turning into one of those smartphone junkies you see facebooking in the pub instead of talking to people.
    As for boasting about not using modern technology ... I wanted to like it, I really did, but I just found it worse - as a phone - in every way than my old phone. That's all.

5. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Part of my resistance was seeing kids, and some my younger nieces and nephews, with faces buried in their smart phones at holiday gatherings, texting and gaming. I thought maybe there was an unresistable force that turned folks into mindless zombies once they owned one.

Found that not to be true. It's what THEY grew up with and how THEY interact with their friends, and THEY are obsessed with video games, not me (have none on mine).

To me it's just a very handy pocket tool, like an electronic Swiss Army knife. Even put a flashlight app on mine, but can't find a toothpick app yet!

BTW, I didn't open a gmail account. I use the basic email app with my regular email account. Just because apps are there, you don't have to use them. Just organize and use the ones you need.

6. Rhythm Thief

Rhythm Thief Tele-Holic

That's me too ... :lol: I had a go at Facebook, but couldn't see what all the fuss was about, and still can't. I don't go on and on and on about it, but if asked what I think of Facebook, I don't hold my opinion back either.

The technology didn't confuse me so much as annoy me. It's not instinctive to use. I know I'd probably have worked my way around having to unlock the screen merely in order to hang up a call, but why would I when I didn't have to do that on my old phone? I don't want to access the internet on the move or play Angry Birds or have my phone double as a music player or a camera or a camcorder. I don't think that makes me any better than anyone else, it's just the reason why a smartphone doesn't suit me.

7. J-man

Admin Post
    So it did confuse you? :p

8. Manolete

Manolete Friend of Leo's

Perhaps it offers a better alternative to the usual drab, superficial chat you are forced to cook up when you meet relatives you are not really verry close too? :confused: As a teenager I would have preferred a bout of Angry Birds to mindless "so, are you still into X?" type chat with relatives I got to see once every five years. :lol:

Alternately it might speak volumes that your younger neices and nephews are not being raised to communicate with those around them. Every day I get the bus and see (chav) parents too busy on their phones to notice their kid tearing the place up... when that kid is old enough to get their own phone (which seems to be about six in this country), they will act the same as they have never been exposed to any alternatives.

9. Warm Gums

Warm Gums Friend of Leo's

I can see the phone thing, I don't make or take a lot of calls, minimal texting.
    I do like the ability to check pricing on items at thrifts, yard sales , etc. (I'm in the collectibles business) last week I was able to check comps on a recent but limited production guitar that was in the used rack at a local shop. Found it was WAY undervalued, and was able to snap it up for a song. I can also send pix & pricing of items outside my area of expertise to friends who are in the know, has helped my avoid overpaying on many occasions. I also use it to find antiques malls, music stores, diners and other places that interest me when I have unexpected down time on the road. It has some music in it,and I can use it as a practice amp, and songwriting sketch pad. I even took an online course on it a few years back during a rail commute. As said it's a tool, you may or may not have a use for such a tool. No need to have something you don't need, but it would be unwise to assume using/ not using said tool implies a superior life style.

10. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

my granny didn't drive but she could make awesome fried chicken and she loved me… so, hey, you are in good company.

11. rcole_sooner

My smart phone sort of saved me during my last vehicle purchase.

I forgot to do my homework on the maintenance plans. They were pitching me the hard sale once I got in the back room. All I knew was never pay more than 1/2 price at the dealership. I offered 1/2 price.

They pulled the "let me talk to manager" ploy. While they were out, I got on my smart phone. The first forum I found had the info stickied at the top. I found out 1/2 price was too much.

I offered them the 1/4 price recommended on the forum, and they refused. At least until I was writing the check for the purchase price. The forum said I could purchase the warranty any time during the original factory warranty, which was 3 years; so I was in no hurry. Then they sold the warranty for 1/4 price.

12. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

Text messaging is one of the most abusive money grabs in the history of communication, seeing as it uses otherwise-blank parts of packets. And they want you to pay for it. And without a buch of screwing around, it doesn't go anywhere but your phone. I'm in front of a screen all day, and I don't want to have to switch my attention to some other device to do things.

13. rcole_sooner

Actually texting is included in my data plan. No "extra" charge.

My data plan dropped in price too, thanks to new family share data plan. All our devices on one data plan.

14. J-man

Admin Post
    That's true for the vast majority of plans. I'm not seeing the money grab.

15. Rhythm Thief

Rhythm Thief Tele-Holic

:lol: But, no. It didn't confuse me, I worked out how to make a call quickly enough. The point is that, where I can pick up my ancient Nokia and all the buttons are in the same place all the time and I can make calls by touch alone, that wasn't the case with my smartphone. To make a call, I had to actually look at the screen - even in order to unlock the thing, which in itself needed me to press a button and then swipe the screen in a particular place. This is not confusing, but it is annoying, far more so than my old phone. There are other examples ... I couldn't find a way to delete text messages, for instance. No doubt there is a way, but if the thing had been properly designed it would have been obvious. That's what put me off it: I don't want to have to get used ot an entirely new piece of technology merely to do something I was doing very easily on my old phone. Sometimes it's easy to forget that the most remarkable thing of all about phones is that they enable us to talk to people who aren't there.

16. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

When I was that age we younger kids would go outside and play during holiday gatherings, then come in for dinner and hang with the adults for a while, then back outside to play. Not having my own kids I can't speak to what's occurring, except to say it seems like peers and media are influencing it more than their parents. Of course, the parents you're speaking about are probably a generation younger than me (59) so they were brought up in the digital age as well

All I know is that when I was a kid nothing was more fun than a big pile of dirt and some tonka toys, building forts, or riding my bike and hiking out in the local "wash', looking for frogs, and running around in any open field we could find.

17. rcole_sooner

Yep, it (the plans) is all changing very fast. Seems to be for the better.

I just want more bandwidth. :D

18. Cooper Black

Cooper Black Tele-Afflicted

I will be getting my new Smartphone soon, the Galaxy Note III once it arrives. The driver is having access to email when I'm away from my desk. As a freelancer, I need the immediate connectivity to maintain my accounts.

I do not want to become anything like the zombies of the OP, but I imagine I'll post here from my phone on occasion. I'll just make sure my pint is well touched, becoming lighter and lighter. :cool:

19. rockingjoe

rockingjoe TDPRI Member

Here are my observations about smart phones.

The people at work are playing with their phones all day.

I had a kid almost walk into me because he was texting. He could care less when I said excuse me.

When I was at a restaurant the other day, the couple were messing with their phones instead of talking to each other.

When I was on the highway the other day, a girl was doing 50 mph while texting.

20. Rhythm Thief

Rhythm Thief Tele-Holic

In fairness, all these things can happen with old style phones too. As others have said, a lot of it is down to what sort of person is using the phone.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.