Got rid of my smartphone

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Rhythm Thief, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Rhythm Thief

Rhythm Thief Tele-Holic

I resisted having a smartphone for a long time: having seen groups of people sitting in the pub in silence, pints untouched in front of them, all tapping away on their smartphones in silence, I really didn't want to turn into someone like that. In the end, my old Nokia phone-with-buttons-on turned up its toes, so I decided to get myself a secondhand smartphone, so at least I could try it out for myself. It lasted ten days before I gave up and went back to my knackered Nokia.
    While I have no doubt it's a very clever device, it was very difficult to use as a phone (and that's all I need a phone to be; I don't even text much these days). Not at all instinctive, and requiring far more button presses to make a call than my old phone. It also needed me to look at it while making a call, which for me is no good at all since I use it while driving (with a bluetooth headset, I should add). It ate batteries, too, with a full charge lasting all of about eleven hours, although I concede that this may be because it was secondhand. Finally - and this was what I really didn't like about it - it wasn't enough just to stick my SIM card in, I had to create a gmail address and key in all manner of personal details before I could make a call. The last straw was the fact that I couldn't go anywhere without the thing knowing where I was ... Bloody sinister object. I'm pleased to be rid of it.
    Anyone else gone down the same road?

2. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

I hear ya.

Never had a smart phone. I also have to giggle when I watch people with their heads fixated on that little-bitsy, teeny-weeny screen. Won't be long and there will be a new physical ailment called:

Smartphone squint face.

3. sneakyjapan

sneakyjapan Poster Extraordinaire

I use my smartphone, for talking. Only reason I have one is because when my wife upgraded hers, she gave me her old one.....it`s a generation 3 i-Phone....never been into having the newest, latest, best gadgets out there. The old cell I had died so the timing was good. But one thing I always do when I go to a coffee shop or bar is look around to see how many people are engrossed in their cell phones....frankly, I just don`t have that much to say nor is my life so exciting I have to tell anyone about my every move. They certainly appear to be addictive, but not for me.

4. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

No way am I getting rid of mine. That is how the alien overlords will know I am part of the "in" crowd when they get here. I am keeping mine on me at all times.

Just sayin'.

:D

5. sneakyjapan

sneakyjapan Poster Extraordinaire

dang....I use it for photos when I don`t have any other cameras with me.....almost forgot.

6. Post Toastie

Post Toastie Poster Extraordinaire

I still am old school. I use a Nokia clam shell phone for calling only. Don't text message.

7. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

Text messaging is awesome. Send a quick message, without the need to be tied up on the phone. Even send it to multiple folks at the same time. Plus they can be read quickly as well, also not requiring being tied up in a phone conversation.

8. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

That's the really sad part :(

I work in the high tech industry for a very large company. I am surrounded by the leading edges of technology every day.

But I have no desire to be connected all the time. I have never had a smart phone, and hope that I never am forced to (when good old flip phones become unavailable)

I send about 3 or 4 texts per month, and that's plenty for me. I don't do Facebook, LinkIn, Twitter, or any of the other social media things.

It's just not for me. I guess I'm old school too. I was telling my neighbor's 18 year old daughter that I grew up before the web was there, she was astonished.

I don't have anything against smart phones and the whole social media thing, but I prefer the old fashioned ways.

Like I said, it's just not for me, and I'm quite happy with it.

Cheers,
    Doug

9. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

Some of your cited objections can be overcome - GPS logging can be turned off, dialing can be done by voice without extra buttons. But battery life is a pain (and on a used iPhone it's certainly going to be worse) and it's much better at being an iPhone than just being a phone.

I don't have one myself for mostly financial reasons, but the practical reasons are there for me, too. My Nokia brick is a much better phone, takes up no space, and lasts a month on a charge. My only real complaint is that texting is a pain - so I use my iPod for that.

It's mildly annoying having two devices to deal with, but the phone is so unobtrusive that really it's not a problem beyond the simple fact of having the iPod in the first place. I'd probably consolidate to the single device if it weren't for the ridiculous cost disparity... but I feel absolutely no pangs of regret over continuing to use my trusty Nokia, even in the face of near universal mockery at the sight of the thing.

10. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm a recent convert to a smart phone and it is very useful in my work and daily life. BUT I don't pull it out at restaurants, text except when a customer texts me (many prefer text over calls) and don't spend more than a few minutes checking email etc now and then during the day. Love the cam and video and having access to the net for a quick product/location search, or doing a bit of research anywhere. Surprised I use very little data as well. Only have a 2GB data plan and barely dent it.

BTW the newer ones can do voice Google search and makes calls and text with voice commands as well. The voice recognition tech has REALLY improved (Google voice on mine). I'm not into using a bluetooth headsets and just don't make calls when driving. GPS can be turned on or off. I like it on so when I open Google maps it zeros in in my location, and has the local weather. Not worried about anyone tracking me because I don't plan to commit crimes :D

11. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Afflicted

Way ahead of you:D, never had one in the first place, I have an old mobile phone somewhere under the car seat for emergencies only, its as big as an house brick and has a screen the size of a postage stamp, it does all I need a phone to do:D

12. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Just got my 1st smartphone over weekend.

13. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    It's funny how many guys here like to boast about not using modern tech.. And yet my generation are considered the Hipsters. ;)

14. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

People confuse the fact that just because you "can" doesn't mean you "have to".
    A smart phone is a tool, just like anything else.
    HOW you use it is a personal choice... You don't have to become "one of those people".

Just sayin'...

15. purpletele

purpletele Friend of Leo's

I don't think the problem is the smart phones. I think it's the people.

So now there are lots of annoying people staring at their phones in public. These people were probably rude before technology. We just didn't see it, or pay attention as much.

I own a smart phone and use it as a tool.

I still talk to people in public and make eye contact. I've forgotten it at home or left it in the car without missing it several times. It doesn't hinder my social interactions at all.

It's just a tool. Use it properly and it can enhance your life. Use it poorly and you'll get poor results. No more, no less.

16. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

No smart phone here. Flip phones as long as they are available. I'm not interested in carrying a laptop in my pocket, phones are for making phone calls. I didn't even own a cell phone until I was forced to by my job; now I have a plan with more than adequate minutes on two lines (700 shared per month, generally use between 60 and 90) and no texting. I had texting shut off because a) I don't do text and b) I started getting text spam that I was being charged for.

17. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Yes, you just have to learn to use the technology, not let it use you

18. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    What kind of crappy plan charges you for texts you receive.. :/

19. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

your objections are all good ones. smartphones will never catch on. I will listen closely to the radio tonight to hear news of it.

20. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I bought a Samsung 451c almost 3 years ago, I pay 30 bucks a month for my phone card. It will text, make calls, take a photo, and even get on the web, but I have a computer for that. I have relatives with the new/expensive to buy and use phones who go into a zombie like state as soon as they look at them, I don't want one of those, 'cause I'm a man who knows his limitations. If I had one of those things, I'd be on the corner of walk, and don't walk, perusing the TDPRI until I got a loitering ticket.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.