Got rid of my MIM tele neck PU, but now Bridge PU sounds a lot less clear?

drieslambrecht

TDPRI Member
Hi all,

Tried to tweak the Neck PU on my MIM tele (don’t ask me how that went) and ended up with a poor-mans-Esauire instead.

Now, when I decided to amputate my (then) dead Neck PU, the Bridge seems to sound a lot less clear/bright than before.

2 questions:

Is this normal? Any chance I can undo this with minimum soldering skills?
Any kits/Esquire Pickup/control plates you recommend that fit in Mexico body teles?

Kind regards, Dries

Attachments

• 306155066_497867095025705_6999165259317530704_n.jpg
    306155066_497867095025705_6999165259317530704_n.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 21
  • tempImageEwDIS2.png
    tempImageEwDIS2.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
  • tempImagefyJS3k.png
    tempImagefyJS3k.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 22

guitarist232345

Tele-Meister
Most Esquire guards should fit, just get the screw numbers right and you'll be fine. This will look great once done.

Fun fact: if I'm not mistaken, a lot of the early esquires actually had the double PUP option anyway, it was just hidden under the guard.

Swirling Snow

Tele-Holic
BTW, welcome to the forum!

Stuff is weird.

I know that's not very satisfying, but removing a coil from a circuit should result in more clarity, not less, not to mention the switch should prevent any interaction in the first place. I'm stumped.

jrblue

Friend of Leo's
I know that's not very satisfying, but removing a coil from a circuit should result in more clarity, not less, not to mention the switch should prevent any interaction in the first place. I'm stumped.
Agreed. What you're hearing could be anything from a psychoacoustic effect now that the pickups are not both present to compare with each other, to something physical and nutty, like a wire to the now eliminated pickup getting pulled and causing some kind of unwanted contact/lack of contact in the control cavity. Perhaps one of the PU wires, now loose, is contacting a shielded cavity? I hate doing it, but when something strange occurs, or seems to, I go back and check every connection and part to make sure everything is wired and wired right, and that parts are in place -- no pot terminal touching something, no wire routed in the wrong place... Not my idea of fun. Good luck. Tele wiring is so easy that it's not that big a task.

drieslambrecht

TDPRI Member
Agreed. What you're hearing could be anything from a psychoacoustic effect now that the pickups are not both present to compare with each other, to something physical and nutty, like a wire to the now eliminated pickup getting pulled and causing some kind of unwanted contact/lack of contact in the control cavity. Perhaps one of the PU wires, now loose, is contacting a shielded cavity? I hate doing it, but when something strange occurs, or seems to, I go back and check every connection and part to make sure everything is wired and wired right, and that parts are in place -- no pot terminal touching something, no wire routed in the wrong place... Not my idea of fun. Good luck. Tele wiring is so easy that it's not that big a task.
Thank you for the reply. I'll check tomorrow if I pulled some wires out. If this remains a head scratcher I may end up buying an Esquire PU - Controls set (hopefully I won't have to drill out the MIM cavity to fit the controls.)

Keep you posted @jrblue @Swirling Snow ! :)

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
If you’ve cut wires right by the neck pickup, are they shorting on something or to each other? I’d snip wires right by the switch rather than by the pickup…

PCollen

Friend of Leo's
I have not, I only cut the wires right near the neck PU.
It's not a big task to unsolder the connections at the switch and ground either. :rolleyes:

I think he's suffering from snippers remorse...