Got my Yamaha THR10 running 10/10C/10X presets

robbah99

TDPRI Member
Hello!

For fun I downloaded the thr10 library editor to my pc. I then downloaded the presets for the 10C and 10X (all from the yamaha website) and opened them up. I was suprised to find it work. Now I have all three amps :)
Was thinkng of switching to the 10C (have the 10) because of my blues orientation, but no need for that now.

Maybe this is common knowledge, but it was news to me.

62 Jazzmaster

Friend of Leo's
Wow! If I'd known that, I would've kept my THR10 and not bothered getting the 10C.
I love the sounds of the THR10C, but really prefer the looks and readability of the regular THR10's labels.

bobscribbly

TDPRI Member
No you don't, you may think they are working but the fact is Yamaha made sure this was not possible. Have a 10 and a 10C here and can confirm sounds are NOT interchangeable and do not work on any model other than the one they shipped with. If you truly believe you've done this; let's see a video clearly showing it, otherwise I'm calling this as fake.

LPBlue

Tele-Holic
^^^^I have a 10C and it will not load 10/x presets. I have no complaints at all with the 10C but if it could (I'm sure it can, somehow) load the other THR10/c/x then we would all have an incredible little amp...can't have that...you didn't pay extra.

J.R.

GuitOp81

Tele-Holic
I find hard to believe that Yamaha left available such an easy way to make two of their products redundant.

On the other hand I also doubt that there is any hardware difference among the three amps (I didn't really check) so I am quite sure that an expert firmware hack could make all the sounds available in a single amp. More difficult hacks were made on much more sophisticated equipment, just check out some of the main photo and video equipment forums.

That said, even if all the sounds were available in a single amp (and other modelling amps offer such a wide range of presets), I bet that most of us will keep using not more than two or three of them.

robbah99

TDPRI Member
No you don't, you may think they are working but the fact is Yamaha made sure this was not possible. Have a 10 and a 10C here and can confirm sounds are NOT interchangeable and do not work on any model other than the one they shipped with. If you truly believe you've done this; let's see a video clearly showing it, otherwise I'm calling this as fake.
Hi!

I dont have a 10C so I cant compare. This is what I did.
Go to yamaha and download preset library for the 10C.
With my 10 plugged into my PC I opened up the library editor and loaded the THR10C.YDL.
Now you have the 10C presets loaded and can use them right away. Same for the 10X.
Since you have both yourself it take about one minute to try it.
Heres the link to the yamaha presets.

10C: http://download.yamaha.com/search/d...1702688&asset_file_language=EN&asset_id=57652

10X: http://download.yamaha.com/search/d...1702689&asset_file_language=EN&asset_id=57651

I'm not trying to bull**** anyone, since you have both you could do us all a favor and test if it really sounds the same, because it will work.
If it works but sounds wrong, I'll be wrong but not a bull****ter.
If I'm right, you could sell one of them :)

deadbeat son

Tele-Afflicted
Hi!

I dont have a 10C so I cant compare. This is what I did.
Go to yamaha and download preset library for the 10C.
With my 10 plugged into my PC I opened up the library editor and loaded the THR10C.YDL.
Now you have the 10C presets loaded and can use them right away. Same for the 10X.
Since you have both yourself it take about one minute to try it.
Heres the link to the yamaha presets.

10C: http://download.yamaha.com/search/d...1702688&asset_file_language=EN&asset_id=57652

10X: http://download.yamaha.com/search/d...1702689&asset_file_language=EN&asset_id=57651

I'm not trying to bull**** anyone, since you have both you could do us all a favor and test if it really sounds the same, because it will work.
If it works but sounds wrong, I'll be wrong but not a bull****ter.
If I'm right, you could sell one of them :)

What firmware version are you using?

Bluesbrother777

TDPRI Member
I'm betting he's using the original thr10 version without the "upgrade". The upgrade came out around the same time the thr10c/x amps came out (they have the upgrade from the factory) and I think it blocked the ability to cross those platforms.

picafumo

NEW MEMBER!
I have a THR10 and the software version I'm using is the 1.0.0. I can confirm the presets available for the other amp series (THR10C and THR10X) do work with my amp. I have no clue if they sound like the amps they are supposed to be used with. Can someone compare them? And maybe could someone confirm with if the presets also can be used with the version 2 or 1.0.4 of the software?

sunnysal

TDPRI Member
so what was the final verdict on this? can we load in the presets from the other models on the PC and apply them to ours? no one chimed in after these posts...thanks, T

Berek Halfhand

Tele-Meister
Just ran across this thread... 2 cents:

While the library can be downloaded, opened in the editor, and the patches play on an original THR10, I don't think they sound the same as they would on the hardware they are designed for. The patches in the libraries are just selecting "an" amp model and then setting the values of all the adjustable parameters (equalization, compressor, effect, etc.). On the THR10 the amp models are CLEAN, CRUNCH, LEAD, BRIT HI, MODERN, BASS, ACO, and FLAT. I don't know what they are the other THRs, but there are some common, some not. The deep parameters that make each amp MODEL sound different then the others are not adjustable. So although I may load "Chicken Single Coil" from the THR10C into my THR10, it is just selecting the "CRUNCH" amp model and then applying all of the adjustable parameters. In the real THR10C, the second amp model is something else, "Class A" and I am pretty sure even with all other settings being equal the THR10C "Class A" sounds very different from my THR10 "CRUNCH".

I could be wrong, but that is my impression.

The Yamaha Magic Stomp spoiled us. In that case the original (version 1.2) , bass, and acoustic models were all identical hardware, just different paint jobs and different default patches. You could program any MS with a patch from any other and it would be correct. (So never pay the premium for the Acoustic MS on eBay, just get the standard and you still have everything available.)

-bh

Last edited:

ahmetomer

TDPRI Member
Hello. This was also bugging me. I asked this to yamaha earlier

1gg5YN.png

mike58

TDPRI Member
So. Do THRX patches sound the same on a THR or not
Can the Brown Sound THRX sound be replicated by a THR or is it simply using the lead sound of the THR
Definitive answer from anyone who has both.. please.
Mike

Chappy

TDPRI Member
Any update on this 5 years later? I’m just wondering if Yamaha decided to unlock the original THR10 to allow owners to download the C and X profiles