Got my tax return and just got GAS

3fngrs

Poster Extraordinaire
How about a board game based on "Life" for guitar players? You still have to pay off student loans, cars, mortgages, and insurance - but there would be GAS spaces on the board, and you could draw for the kind of guitar you want and do trades with other players. And the player who ends up with the most guitars and amps and stompboxes at the end of the game is the winner. Too close to the truth maybe.
As long as you don't have to actually learn to play the damn thing, I'm in!

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
As long as you don't have to actually learn to play the damn thing, I'm in!

Great! We could have spaces like "upgrade guitar - pay $400" and "inherit $3000 - buy Les Paul" and "Tax refund - buy new amp." And maybe change the object of the game to the first person to go completely broke wins.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
As I said earlier in this thread, I was putting mine towards a new roof. We’ll, it’s done, and a new roof is pricier than they used to be.

At least my roof is visible from the curb, so I can see where the money went.
That does help, my house is 2.5 stories and after replacing the last roof I have no idea how it actually looks.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I appreciate all the frugal responses, but one thing I have learned multiple times is that wealth is not a permanent condition. Don't forget to spend some to be happy while you still have it.

As a young man, I worked 2 jobs and saved every penny that I could....then the credit union where I kept that money went bust from embezzlement and I walked away with 5 cents on the dollar.

Then I recovered years later and invested heavily into tech stocks...then the .com bubble burst and I was back to start again.

Decided to invest in myself the third time around, sold my house to fund a self-employment venture. After 3 years of losing money, it finally took off and I saw 12 years of steady growth and prosperity. It was also at that point that I started to study guitar and found myself buying up a lot of good gear.

Enter the pandemic and I lost everything.....except for the guitars and gear, that i was not going to part with.

I make rather little working for the post office these days, but I am very glad that I kept all that music gear because I would never be able to buy any of those things again.

Money can disappear quickly without warning, so be happy, buy some toys along the way while you can. They might be the only things you get to hang onto down the road.

Poster Extraordinaire
You should adjust your W4 so you have to pay when you file. That way your money is working for you throughout the year.

loudboy

Tele-Holic
Great! We could have spaces like "upgrade guitar - pay $400" and "inherit $3000 - buy Les Paul" and "Tax refund - buy new amp." And maybe change the object of the game to the first person to go completely broke wins.
I seem to remember a guy who was obsessed with Dumbles and Dumble clones actually buying one, for the equivalent of a modest house, and promptly going bankrupt?

zeke54

Tele-Afflicted
I haven't got a refund in probably 15 years . Uncle Sam loves me ! But on my birthday last month I got a settlement check for a class action lawsuit with my old employer . Good chunk of cash so I bought a '62 reissue SG Special I had been eyeballing for a month or so . It was perfect timing , a check on my birthday told me one thing ... buy it !! Happy birthday !! Plus it was courtesy of my dumb azz previous employer ! Win Win !! Still had plenty to put in the bank . Love Explorers , I have a 2016 , enjoy , it's not just for metal !