Got my tax return and just got GAS

Troubleandahalf

Tele-Afflicted
Yup, bout that simple.
Been so broke for so long it wasn't a real bummer that no guitars made the old heart start going pitter patter what's the matter I've just called the guy what?
Today, bang. Right in the kisser.
I have the cousin Flying V of this one (82 and which y'all convinced me to drive a long way to go get thanks again for the help) and I've been eyeing Explorers and Destroyers forever.
My first real guitar was an Explorer made by store owner / luthier in Anchorage AK. So I've got loads of nostalgia type feelings.
This one is even an Effector. The groovy 80s on board effects (supposedly works) I think supercharged my get up and go. I may have a serious conversation about this.
Is it the MIJ angle? Or do I, at heart, like looking metal even if I really don't play it (anymore)? Either way, we shall see.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220421-183753.png
    Screenshot_20220421-183753.png
    671.5 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot_20220421-183829.png
    Screenshot_20220421-183829.png
    563.7 KB · Views: 51
  • Screenshot_20200901-203639.png
    Screenshot_20200901-203639.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 51
Last edited:

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
Our taxes are filed. I thought I’d owe thousands. I’ve got money coming back from state and federal. My wife’s already busy spending it. We now have a new chimney liner and our chimney capped. She’s already planning on what she wants to buy in Hawaii. WE don’t need more palm tree art but SHE needs it. You’d think this would buy peace in the valley. I’m 72. Peace is coming. I’ll put some aside to cover the burial.

Last edited:

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Our taxes are filed. I thought I’d owe thousands. I’ve got money coming back from state and federal. My wife’s already busy spending it. We now have a new chimney liner and our chimney capped. She’s already planning on what she wants to buy in Hawaii. WE don’t need more palm tree are but SHE needs it. You’d think this would buy peace in the valley. I’m 72. Peace is coming. I’ll put some aside to cover the burial.
You're wife was saying just the other day, you know if one of us should die, I think I'll take a nice vacation.

Cpb2020

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Enjoy it.

I overpaid the equivalent of a new roof. So I’m removing/replacing our
30+ year old roofing shingles that are cracking and crumbling. Actually, the removal will include the original shingles as well, which were installed nearly 60 years ago.

Dana Rudd

Tele-Afflicted
Glad to hear you have a refund coming.
I've got to make arrangements to pay $14,000.00. The wife made to much and didn't set any aside.
Enjoy your return.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Yup, bout that simple.
Been so broke for so long it wasn't a real bummer that no guitars made the old heart start going pitter patter what's the matter I've just called the guy what?
Today, bang. Right in the kisser.
I have the cousin Flying V of this one (82 and which y'all convinced me to drive a long way to go get thanks again for the help) and I've been eyeing Explorers and Destroyers forever.
My first real guitar was an Explorer made by store owner / luthier in Anchorage AK. So I've got loads of nostalgia type feelings.
This one is even an Effector. The groovy 80s on board effects (supposedly works) I think supercharged my get up and go. I may have a serious conversation about this.
Is it the MIJ angle? Or do I, at heart, like looking metal even if I really don't play it (anymore)? Either way, we shall see.
I rarely splurge on a "non" necessity if I get a refund.....but this year I got a pretty good refund, and decided to spend about a third of it on a Godin Multiac Encore Nylon. Already posted a NGD about it, but it still thrills me to the bone. Got together with a guy from Craigslist this week for a possible acoustic duo/trio.....he played a cool OOO-sized steel-string, and the plugged in Godin made a really nice contrast. I'm a big believer in saving, so the balance of my refund stays in the bank.
Enjoy......;)

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
How about a board game based on "Life" for guitar players? You still have to pay off student loans, cars, mortgages, and insurance - but there would be GAS spaces on the board, and you could draw for the kind of guitar you want and do trades with other players. And the player who ends up with the most guitars and amps and stompboxes at the end of the game is the winner. Too close to the truth maybe.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I understand that fully. I actually had money coming back for the first time in years (about the only benefit of taking a huge pay cut) and I had it earmarked for a household repair and then I walked right into a guitar that I always wanted, but could never afford.

It was a great price and at close to midnight with drink in hand....yup, bought it online.

Next morning, started wondering WTH I just did? Then spent the next couple of days convincing myself that I could always sell it later and still come out ahead with the price that I paid. Got excited waiting for the arrival.

It arrived, I rushed to my studio, plugged in and expected the world to shake....it didn't. The guitar is what I always wanted, there wasn't a flaw to it, and yet it just didn't blow me away. I have been a little burned out lately due to not having a day off in 3 weeks, so maybe that was the problem and not the guitar?

I am taking it to my tech in the morning for his magic (that guy can dial in a guitar better than I ever could) and then find out if it is me or the guitar that fell flat.

My concern is that I had too high of expectations....I hope the OP doesn't end up in the same boat.

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I recently got GAS, which I haven’t had in a while. It took me until this thread to realize that the GAS arrived right around the time I was doing my taxes. I’m going to try to restrain myself. I do not need another guitar, and space is at a premium.

Sconnie

Friend of Leo's
When I found out how much my return was going to be, my girlfriend asked "what are you going to do with it?" and I replied "just put it in savings, we have stuff we wanna do on the house soon."

She looked at me and said "but isn't there a guitar you would want, or something? This is probably the last chance you'll have to use a return for that." (that was the catch right there haha!)

I am a bit of a tight arse according to her, and she and I both know I have myself, her, and the house projects accounted for. My reflex was just to put it aside. But then I got to thinking that she was right, there is a guitar I'd want. A few days later, I find out that my company in fact does reimburse therapy copays which I'd been paying all year, I just filed the paperwork wrong on the first one and thought they didn't cover it. So basically, for committing to working on myself and paying handsomely for it (worth it, therapy is great) I have the funds to add a dream guitar of mine as I turn 30. The gravy was having extra to spare on our trip to Austin.

A week or so later we're in Louisville at Wildwood and I'm trying out some Gretsch 6120s, and I put down a deposit on a shiny new model that's due in June.

Cpb2020

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
As I said earlier in this thread, I was putting mine towards a new roof. We’ll, it’s done, and a new roof is pricier than they used to be.

At least my roof is visible from the curb, so I can see where the money went.