Got My Soundbar

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tele-rain, Feb 20, 2020.

1. tele-rain

tele-rain Friend of Leo's

As a piggy back off my other thread about TCL TVs, I wanted to start a new one about the soundbar. I picked up the soundbar tonight, the TV is coming next Friday. However, I decided to hook it up to my current TV just to get a feel for it. This is what I got:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PKRHXPB/?tag=tdpri-20

I'm torn whether or not I like it enough or if I want to splurge for a better one. I've watched bits of a few different things so far, there is definitely a huge improvement in hearing all the little details in the background and it's clearer. And when music is playing, it's pretty good, BUT only when you jack up the volume a bit. It doesn't seem to work at lower volume. And the dialogue when they're just talking is pretty tinny. I will reserve complete judgement until it's hooked up to the newer TV, because that might make a difference. I'm also not sure if I have it connected correctly. There are various ways to hook it up, I don't know if I need both the optical wire and HDMI cable in, but that's how I'm getting sound. The manual seems to imply there are 3 options to connect, via HDMI, optical, or analog jack (the latter I haven't tried yet). And I get it to connect to Bluetooth, but don't have any sounds, so clearly I'm missing a connection bit there. Again time will tell.

But overall, I have a few other questions...and this has always been a pet peeve of mine with different audio choices, like when we first got cable. It drove me BONKERS when you have to use both the TV and the cable box for volume. I want ONE dedicated way to use the volume, but what I've always found is that you make one way loud, and the other one only has to go up a bit to sound decent. On this set up, I change the TV remote to external speaker and it works only through the soundbar. But if I put it back to TV speakers, they both work, and I can probably find a balance where the TV remote is up about 30-40, and the soundbar picks up the rest. But I feel like that shouldn't be necessary. So what is the real deal with multiple audio options when there is a TV, Cable box, AND a soundbar?

Like I said, I'll wait till this is hooked up to the newer TV, hopefully it will be better. If not, I think I'll have to invest in a better one. I'm surprised because the reviews were good, and yes I know you get what you pay for. Anyway, time will tell...just looking for some other opinions, as always!

2. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

I look at soundbars and think about buying, but there's plenty of life left in my 20 y.o. Panasonic AV receiver and sony speakers with a powered subwoofer. No bluetooth or anything else 21st century but the sound is clean and can be loud. The sub can shake the walls and the fillings in teeth. Pandora through Roku on the TCL television sounds great. The new AV receivers with bluetooth, wifi and other modern whizzbang stuff are intriguing, but I'll wait for the Panasonic to croak.

tele-rain likes this.
  3. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

I have a couple of soundbar. One of them I did get a set of wireless rears for. On my old tv it was ok but I bought a new one ay Christmas. Four K then got a 4K DVD player as well. Also if you do that you need a better HDMI cable. I'm guessing the new TV has a much better sound processor because it sounds a whole lot better now

tele-rain likes this.
  4. tele-rain

tele-rain Friend of Leo's

Yes, the new TV is 4k, and while the sound is known to be lesser quality overall, hence the desire for the soundbar or other audio, I'm hoping it will work better with the soundbar overall.

I also just learned that I do NOT have HDMI ARC on this older TV, just HDMI. Thus, the HDMI cable is not needed for the soundbar. Instead, I have it hooked up through the optical cable. So again, perhaps with the HDMI ARC connections, it will sound fuller. If not, I'll just return and go from there. This is good though, I always learn by trial and error and now I understand some basics.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.