1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Got my first smart phone yesterday...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by soulgeezer, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

But that is not the fault of the phone. It is the fault of the user.

imwjl, Wallo Tweed and teletail like this.
  2. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

You don't have to master the entire phone the day you buy it. Use it for a phone. Add other functions as you need them. I probably don't use 1% of what my phone can do. I only use what I need.

soulgeezer and Wallo Tweed like this.
  3. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

+1

I used to work at a dot com start up during the dot com boom. Our Chief Technology Officer knew another CTO that had no TV, radio, cell phone, computer or land line at home. He left all his technology in the car when he went home. When he left the office he REALLY unplugged. One time there was an emergency and they had to send someone to his house to get him.

Just because a phone rings doesn't mean you have to answer it. You make the choice.

Marc Morfei likes this.
  4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

And yet, it is unquestionably the result that these devices have had on our society.
    And that is by intention.
    They design these apps and such with the dopamine receptors as the target...

By the same reasoning you could say that cigarettes, alcohol and other drugs are not to blame, the addicts of them are

5. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It is easy to forget how revolutionary the iphone was. I vividly remember seeing an iphone for the first time, back when they first came out. A work colleague got one, and he did a little demonstration for a few of us. Our jaws were hanging open.

"You mean, there's a map on the phone? And it shows where you are on the map? And it shows you which restaurants are nearby? And if you tap the name of a restaurant it will open that place's web site?!? Right there on the phone? And show you the menu? And if you tap the phone number it will dial the phone, and you can make a reservation?!!? Just like that???"

People today will laugh. But back then, this was sci-fi sprung to life. Love it or hate it, the smartphone is the most brilliant invention since the automobile.

superjam144 and Jakedog like this.
  6. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Hire a 10 year old to follow you around.

Should be plenty of them available with few kids actually in school.

7. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Another example of closed system issues or SO any gapminder and worldview type posts here. You can find niches and groups where they don't all spend their lives hunched over a phone. Even if some of us are hunched over for a moment the moment is often freedom to not be totally tied to our work.

I can detest the phenomenon if I'm being micromanaged or pulled into something ridiculous but I'm happy to pack the power and capability in my phone and watch when it helps me deliver for our users and customers. Same for when it helps me sustain our standard of living.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.