1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Got my first smart phone yesterday...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by soulgeezer, Oct 30, 2020.

1. LAPlayer

LAPlayer Tele-Meister

Welcome to the ........ 20th Century.....:) As already stated, OS is (to me also) far more user friendly than Android operating systems. If your computer is a PC, then maybe the the Android phone will eventually be easier for you. However, if your computer or tablet is Apple you're really far better off using the common-to-all Apple product OS-based phones. IF you're going to eat any phone cost, take the phone back and get an iPhone. Welcome to the new frontier.

2. LAPlayer

LAPlayer Tele-Meister

That's great. I think it simply comes down to desire. I've got a good family friend that's 94 and she daily keeps up with her sorority sisters via email and text. On the other hand, my mom refuses to try. I've given her a smart phone, Nook, Kindle, iPad, Macbook and all she says (up to yesterday) is " I'll never remember that." If someone simply comes up with a daily regimen of checking emails and a simply search, they would have 90% "memorized" in no time. Repetition my boys/girls, repetition.

3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

My wife (the iPhone queen ... and bass player), thinks I should have a smart phone, but my first hurdle is whether I even need a cell phone.

However, @Jakedog 's initial post here is the first time I have seen a good list of reasons as a convincing argument for having one.

BTW, my wife has helped many people half her age (perhaps even a third of her age) to teach them how to use all of the functions of the iPhone. Plus she has seen and helped many people give up on the Android and transition over to the happier format of the iPhone. Just sayin'

4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

For my job we have a rotating on-call position within our small department, and the shared phone that goes with that joy is an iPhone.
    My personal smartphone is an Android

The main differences I see is the iPhone charges much quicker (and holds that charge much longer), the iPhones tend to take better pics, iPhones cost much much more, and and you get to be a few levels more smug if you have an iPhone

61fury and Nickfl like this.
  5. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

I have an iPod Touch and an Android 7 tablet. I can cover all the diagnostic bases with those. As I said, I want my phone to be a phone, nothing more, nothing less.

blowtorch likes this.
  6. soulgeezer

I've had a cell phone since about 1992. Smartphones didn’t show up until 2007. So, it’s the 21st century I’m finally arriving at! ;) :D

superjam144 and LAPlayer like this.
  7. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

see that's where i'm a luddite. when i'm at home, i use my computer. when i'm in public, i have a little computer in my pocket. to me a tablet is the worst of both worlds - not robust enough to do the duties of my computers, not portable enough to take with me. i understand that tablets have totally valid field applications, but for the average consumer at home it just seems like a toy.

Jakedog likes this.
  8. soulgeezer

Tablets are great for watching movies on the train, which is what I mostly use it for, when I’m not using it for work.

9. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I part understand this but it is another one of those posts with out of date, gapminder, or worldview issues.

The trend is going back to more conversation even though some of it is text. We all know about Zoom adoption in recent times but maybe less obvious is Teams and its competitors adoption in the work place. The operations director and myself just stopped a chain of insane by telling a few people to talk to each other.

To get away from subscription models you'll have to make your own or move to some sort of private Redneckistan but you'll probably struggle there. Until recently I spent decades traveling to less developed and remote places and saw how in some ways they were ahead of us with wireless and peer to peer commerce.

Heck, many things including cars have already been subscription model more than and longer than some think about it. I say cars now because of how popular leasing is. In the future we'll pay for more transportation via the use and mode we choose in an as we use it or in subscriptions.

Personally I think or hope I'm done tilting windmills on some favorites or UI. We can vote with our wallets and in the past few years I got exposed to how much tech giants do listen to their consumers. Little did I know that two sincere posts in Microsoft's user voice were read by and followed by some higher ups and over a few years I had dialog on something now being rolled out to 10s of millions of people. I got thank yous for influencing product development, word something was being developed, an offer to try it early, and a final thank you when it went to targeted release.

10. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

You are on a slippery slope now . . .

11. Nickfl

Nickfl Friend of Leo's

Your problem there might not be Android as much as Samsung. Android allows phone manufacturers to put their own skin over the operating system and that usually makes it much worse and full of bloat ware and other nonsense. I had a Samsung phone at one point and it was awful until I installed Googles "theme" or whatever they call it and deleted all the Samsung apps for texting, dialing etc and installed the stock Google versions.

Depending on you perspective, this isn't something you have to deal with on IOS, or it isn't something you are allowed to do. It seems to be a "there's two types of people" thing... my wife would never give up her iphone and I'd never own one, unless my only option was an Android I couldn't remove the carrier/manufacturer installed crap from...

12. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

The "just phones" are too big. I like this one. (icon lower right)

With all due respect, I understand that while there are things in common in our work we might have very different demands with what we administer and lifestyle. To some extent I'm a cheerleader for the now technology because if you search here you'll find my confessions or eating words on large screen phones and the Apple Watch.

:)

[​IMG]

13. LAPlayer

LAPlayer Tele-Meister

Kicking and screaming it seems........:D

14. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Anyone who can pick a guitar can work a smartphone. The initial frustration is that you have about 100 subparts to it and you need to get used to the roadmap of that

Take your time and put it down when you are bored. Ideally, find a child to show you. After owning it for 2 years I gave my 10 year old my old phone and she gets loads of features out of it I never knew existed

15. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Holic

I wasn't referring to any of your posts, I don't think. But the "phone to computer continuity" you refer to is absolutely there between my Pixel (and every other Android I've had, save perhaps the Samsung) and Chromebook.

As another post states above, most anti-Android sentiment should really be directed at Samsung, LG, etc., since they add layers of customization on top of stock Android. I will never buy another Samsung smartphone.

16. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I remember the day when I got my first one, I guess about five or six years ago, I almost took it back the same day!

Just take some time with it, read up on the Internet how to use things, and you'll eventually get to where you can't be separated from it.

soulgeezer likes this.
  17. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I hope you feel better for pointing out one of my many foibles. Made your day?

18. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

At my job everything is done on an Android. All of our time and service tickets come in one app. Each customer has an app to log into when we are there and we have to be within a mile of the store or we don’t get paid.

I was using Android as a personal phone until I switched to IOS a couple of years ago. To me, they are similar but I prefer the iPhone.

19. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

In Algebra, I would just look at the problem and see the answer. I would get a 50 on homework and 100 on tests because the teacher said on tests she could see I wasn’t cheating. I finally just started writing stuff like 1+1+2=4 for a couple of lines under the problem and the teacher wouldn’t pay attention and started giving me 100s on homework.

Jakedog likes this.
  20. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I thought the iPhone you'd talked about was possibly responsible for the error. My friends with iPhones are constantly texting me their autocorrect errors. I ment zero disrespect and no offense, and I apologize if you felt I was being disrespectful. That was not my intention

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.