Got my first smart phone yesterday...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by soulgeezer, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

superjam144 likes this.
  2. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

It is always listening to you and watching you. (Seriously.)

3. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

I'm 65 and probably had a mobile phone before most here and there. I am a Realtor, around 90 no one had phones. Beepers were abound. I had a client who had one. WE drive by a home for sale. I have the owners number to make an appointment. I tell them I will set it up. They they say hey call her now and give me their phone. I call, introduced myself, and asked her to step to her window and look out. I tell her that it is me waving, and is it convenient to show the home. My clients bought the home, I got a phone the next day. Hardly any Realtors had a phone then. But OP long story short, smart phones are intimidating for older folks. But hear me, just learn the basics, answer a call, speaker phone, and hanging up. OH! and making sure to close things eating energy. The positive for you is it has SO MUCH it is giving you at your finger tips. Its the culmination of all technology right in your hands. Really, its the closet thing we have to the Star Ship Enterprise. Get a guitar tuner on the phone< HUGE BENIFET. Unless your a serious photographer, get rid of your old cameras cause you have kick arse right in your hand. Then there is google to ask any dumb arse question your can muster up, and it at least heads you toward the goal. THe GPS is the closer here. DO I work all this effortlessly? NO, sometimes I'm the big deer in the headlights; STUPIFIED. It took me awhile to get another incoming call and deal with it or not. And now you have facetime like apps. You can talk and see, Mom, Dad, the kids, the Wife, even your EX. When you go shopping, you can take photos of the info of the item and it blows up nicely to read. And it took awhile to get what my wife was telling me, but it is also a magnifying glass. You could use it to pull splinters. Hey, I could go on, but the benefits really out weigh the hassles.

soulgeezer likes this.
  4. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

Between work and other endevors, I have three Iphones: 4S, 8, 10

Each one is a different experience. I like the 4s for its size and simplicity. The 8 is meh. The 10 has some cool features and great camera, but it's really way more than I need.

My wife has an Android phone and I hate it more the all the fish in the sea.

5. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

Def go back to a dumb phn.

I got my gran pop one of those ones with the huge numbers and big red emergency button.

He luvs it.

6. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

I had exactly the same feeling with my first smartphone but it all clicked eventually.
    The problem is that as they now have more and more features, they are more complicated, and the jump to using one is larger than ever.

soulgeezer likes this.
  7. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Afflicted

You do know, that honesty sometimes doesn't pay off ;-)

8. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Afflicted

Interesting all the Android hate. I prefer it to iOS as everything works the way I expect it to (although that may be more of a reflection of how my mind works than of Android...).

I'm on my 5th Android (Pixel 4A, fwiw) and it's terrific. For me.

Nickfl and Rocky058 like this.
  9. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

I don't understand the hate for the smartphone.

Having access to the internet in my pocket to look up information has saved my ass.
    Having the ability to make an emergency purchase has saved my ass.
    Having GPS has saved my ass.
    Having a hi res camera to verify and store info has saved my ass.
    Having a voice recorder has saved my ass.
    Being able to send emails/communicate over wifi has saved my ass.
    Being able to communicate with relatives back home over data without incurring long distance charges is great.

And what's the difference between reading the paper or a book in public vs reading the paper or a book on your phone in public? You're still ignoring life either way.

Yeah okay, things like social media are terrible. Apps like tiktok are stupid. Taking photos and videos constantly that nobody really cares about is stupid. I don't understand why older folks are the first to complain about these, and yet, my parents probably log more hours on facebook or taking stupid photos in a week than I have in 2 years.

All that stuff has nothing to do with a smartphone if you don't want it to. You don't have to participate just because you have a smartphone. I don't.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    Marc Morfei and Nickfl like this.
  10. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I went the other way. No land line and I only have a mobile phone. I would most if not nearly all younger people (less than 40) don't own a land line. The mobile phone has saved me several times. I can no longer change my own tires if I have a flat. I had one the other day and, thanks to my mobile phone, I could call AAA. Same with a dead battery.
    Emergency calls (when I'm not at home) from my daughter that she needs me to pick up my granddaughters.
    I pay with my phone. (Apple Pay). Oh yeah, my Apple Watch will call EMT and my daughter if I fall and can't get up.

To each their own. What you have works for you.

11. imwjl

imwjl Doctor of Teleocity

My post did not reflect hate. It reflected reality. We have no choice with our having both platforms. Some vendor solutions determine the platform. We have close to 1000 employees. For IT staff it's just a job but some people have personal preferences. When you deal with the devices by the dozens at a time and people by the hundreds and have stuff like accounting, MDM, log support requests etc.... you see patterns and reality. When hundreds of employees use their own smart phones to access their schedules, HR and payroll info you see patterns.

When the OP states being an IT admin it is hard to understand not having or wanting a first tier large screen phone regardless of the OS. The first tier and past few years if not new large screen phones are vital tools for our IT, pricing and logistics type staff.

Some of my associates like Android phones for their ability to tweak, root, and customize or for brand fan boy and girl. With my having no choice but know all our models and to test stuff I know the good and bad for all.

Two things many don't realize are the phone to computer continuity you don't have with an Android and Apple repair and service is so far superior that I don't always need a cold spare the way I do if I depend on Android. I also realize my demands are different. I'm responsible for a lot of things in an enterprise that never stops.

It's more Android annoyance than hate. I own Alphabet stock so I'm just fine with anyone who helps grow my nest egg.

12. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Any of you guys use a cellular phone back in the days when the tech basically had to be enclosed in a suitcase?

I have.

13. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Jakedog I feel the same way about iPhines.
    I have an analogue way of thinking and i reckon it's got a lot to do with computers which I have to meticulously work things out- step by step. Yet i was smart at Math and engineering. It's a brain wire thing.

Jakedog likes this.
  14. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Is your iPhone responsible for this typo?

"Smart"phones, indeed

15. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Totally agree on Android OS. It’s ridiculous. My wife and son won’t use anything else, the girls and I are all Apple. So much easier.

My first smartphone was a windows phone, and it was the the BEST. Far better than either popular standard platform, as far as ease of use and simple navigation. The hardware was also far better than anything else out at the time. Nokia don’t mess around. Alas, the people who wanted smartphones wouldn’t give windows a chance and the platform failed. It’s a shame because it really was light years better than apple OR android.

Nobody made apps for it because nobody was buying it. But nobody was buying it because the other two platforms were killing on app development. It it what it is.

When I had to change from windows, I didn’t have a choice. I got a “square” CC reader to take on tour, and it was only supported by iPhone and Android. Wouldn’t work with my windows phone. So off to the phone store I went.

I purposely wouldn’t let anyone help me. Being that I was about to be on the road full time totally solo, I wanted something I could figure out myself. I first picked up the latest Android. I couldn’t get it to do anything. I mean nothing. I could not make it work. Everything I tried just resulted in me being more and more frustrated. After about ten minutes of trying like hell to figure it out, I had nothing.

Picked up the latest iPhone, and had it humming and doing everything I wanted to do in no time flat. It just worked the way things ought to. So I bought it and I’ve never looked back. I’m on my third one now and I’ve never been unhappy with one.

My son is a huge computer guy. He’s a gamer, builds his own PC’s, networks stuff, he gets all that cray stuff. He hates iPhone and loves android. Says that Apple is “tech for people too stupid to use real tech”. Won’t go near anything Apple. Go figure.

16. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

See, I always think of myself as an analog guy. I can’t use a computer, and never have. I never even tried til 2003, and that didn’t go well. I’ve never needed one for work, or to do anything else, and anything techy just doesn’t work for me. My computer guru son says tech hates me. Anything I try to use breaks or locks up. The only thing that has ever made sense to me tech wise, is an iPhone. My wife has some kind of giant Mac computer at home, and I can’t figure that thing out to save my life. It’s a giant paper weight when I sit down in front of it. :lol:

Edit: In school, I failed miserably at math. I didn’t get a passing grade in math from 3rd grade all the way through the end of high school. But I’m really good at it. I can do all sorts of crazy math lightning fast, in my head. I can add, subtract, multiply and divide huge numbers, decimals, whatever in no time. Percentages, fractions, backing out tax, compound interest, whatever. Figuring velocity, angles, trajectories, it’s child’s play. As long as you don’t ask me to write it down, or “show my work”. That’s why I failed so miserably. Any time a teacher asked me to explain how I got my answer and I’d try to explain it to them, their eyes just glazed over and they looked totally lost. I think most just assumed I was somehow cheating. I can’t do the traditional processes or write it down. But it works inside my head. The iPhone is the same way for me. I just think what I want it to do, and it automatically works.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    Tonetele likes this.
  17. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

Got my first personal smartphone last February. ( I have a state issued Iphone for work)
    No one calls me but it's main use is streaming Youtube or Spotify, it's such a revelation.

My personal phone is a cheap older Samsung, so far I can see no significant differences between it and the Iphone

18. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

This thread makes me laugh, it is tubes versus solid state all over again but just with different loves/hates. i have had both Apple and Android, they both work, just pick what you like and enjoy or tolerate.

I don't like carrying a phone, but honestly I used to have sticky notes everywhere. Now I keep all the lists on the phone. That is the best part for me.

19. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

I tend to see things this way, except for one major hang up. I HATE phone calls. Making them, or getting them. Someone calling me is demanding my immediate attention. The one good thing about smart phones is making phone calls mostly a thing of the past. I see a future where people wonder where the word "phone" comes from, and why they're called that.

As for android UI, you are completely right, but I also despise apple's UI. I actually hate the way the whole tech industry does everything. Milking users, subscription models, less options, less control over our own files and devices, constant updates, spying...

radiocaster likes this.
  20. imwjl

imwjl Doctor of Teleocity

In 1989 4 of us had to share the bag phone when we were on call. That better mouse trap was still a mess because we had our on the belt or in a pocket pagers that would start the process of an on call incident reaching one of us. As thrilled as we were about better communications we'd still drive to sites. Some devices were managed remotely with phone lines but today my Cisco, Microsoft and VMware phone apps to powerful things. My wrist watch gets the alarms if I want a simple walk around the ponds without my phone.

Close to that time or closer we were working with still beta or totally new early digital cameras and I remember the celebration when we got a photo from the Fairmont in SFO to some Fortune 500 execs in Chicago and Madison in 1.5 hours from getting the request. The point from us was something new will beat the status quo of dispatching engineers in the private jet.

You being in Madison might find it interesting or laugh because an Oscar Mayer exec said nothing will ever replace his sending engineers with the Hasselblad and Nikon cameras on the jet parked blocks away. There's nothing left of what was once the Oscar Mayer headquarters. I bet the current food plant engineers use smart phones.

blowtorch likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.