1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Got my first smart phone yesterday...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by soulgeezer, Oct 30, 2020.

1. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

So far, I am NOT a fan.

(For those who will inevitably ask: Samsung A31, Android 10. WAY too complex, difficult, and frustrating, not to mention big and heavy. I literally had to learn how to answer a phone call. I'm no Luddite, but this is just stupid. I am SERIOUSLY considering eating the money I spent on the phone and going back to a flip. GRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!)

2. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

But then you won't have all of us in your pocket all the time. :(

3. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

4. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

I have an iPod. Much smaller and easier to use. And, you folks are always with me.

Deathray and gregulator450 like this.
  5. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

Change is both hard and inevitable. Remember how hard an ‘f’ chord once was. Stick with it. You’ve surely mastered more complex tasks.

6. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Don't do it! There are plenty of YouTube videos for new Android and iPhone users.
    I teach an adult education class for folks over 55 and it's a A to Z beginners guide to using a smartphone (iPhone specifically). Many folks are in the same boat as you when they enter the class but they leave knowing how to do all the basics (phone, texting, email, photos, music, calculator, reminders, internet) and more.
    Most of what I teach can be found on YouTube.

7. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Good grief, my mother could work the first smartphone she bought when she was 85.

8. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Funny, answering a phone call ( whether swipe up/right or just push the ' answer' button, seems to change every time I get a call) seems to be the hardest task to on my phone!

You'd think this should be 'easy job #1'
    for a Smart phone.
    That said, I have a cheap Galaxy Android (like $75 ) that is pretty remarkable in what it's capable of.

IMO, just the Calendar ( used to store gigs, addresses, notes, $$ made) for a gigging musician, is just invaluable-
    * and the fact that you can 'write' any text, email, Calendar, memo with voice recognition is ( to me) still insane!
    * plus access to Internet, and TDPRI!

No turning back, now...

stepvan and gregulator450 like this.
  9. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Don't give up, I felt that same way when I got my phone. I used a flip phone for years at work. I hardly ever used the text function, and back when they charged a lot, my bill (the company paid it) would make car payments on a decent car. When I retired I bought another flip phone. I used that for a long time, until they started changing the platform it ran on, then I bought a smart phone. Now I've had the new phone several years, my wife abandoned her flip phone and has one like mine. We've gotten used to them, and they are another positive in our lives now. Hang in there, you'll get it, just takes time.

soulgeezer and old soul like this.
  10. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Holic

don't know what your background is but i always chuckle when people who came up with terminals/DOS can't figure out some button pushing.

methinks it's more of a mental block than difficulty.

getting lost in weird places at weird hours without GPS? or overpaying at the store because i couldn't look up a price? yeah, no thanks, i'm not going back to that.

Grant Austin likes this.
  11. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

You will get it, hang in there. Best decision I made, finally... mostly because the iPhone camera is better than a camera!
    There are good things and bad things about them, but they are a nice thing.

12. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Then maybe trade what you got for an iPhone. I have no choice but to use all the platforms but I see this over and over. By see, I'm the technology director in an enterprise with about 1000 people. Like it or not most people figure out the iPhone, get best support from the company, and get longest life from the purchase. I also see Apple support being especially kind to elderly and first time users. Also super good with our staff who have some special needs.

Even our CFO who always thinks in terms of cost and doesn't like some policies of the firm approves buying Apple mobile stuff dozens at a time because it's proven to work, last, cut training costs, do the most, and keep people happy.

Bob M and John Nicholas like this.
  13. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

My mother has her beat by 5 years and uses her Apple Watch as phone.

beagle likes this.
  14. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

smartphones totally SUCK
    I view them as a necessary evil

They very easily change your life for the worse

I am an IT professional, for the last, I dunno, 3 decades or so, and I detest the things
    They've turned us into a society of hunched over individuals very busy at ignoring life

Bob M, rghill, Fernando85 and 5 others like this.
  15. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Your big mistake was not getting an iPhone. Very user friendly.

ieatlions, Bob M, Engine Swap and 5 others like this.
  16. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

Welcome....give it a chance,baby...it's really not that hard!

Jakedog likes this.
  17. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

When you first started using computers, were you able to operate them at the level you do now within the first 24 hours, or did it take time?

cbnutt and Jakedog like this.
  18. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have no cell phone, of any type. I have a land line with an answering machine. Just leave a message, maybe I'll call.

I had an upset supervisor once, who chewed me out for not responding to any of his text messages. He had looked up my number on the companies phone roster, and was sending me information on an upcoming training session, which I missed. When I informed him he was "texting" a land line he was a bit embarrassed. The phone roster has been updated to include info on the type of phone you are calling.

19. Average_Joe

Average_Joe Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

cat dude, Tonetele and John Nicholas like this.
  20. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I can’t use an Android. I just can’t figure it out. It’s the most complex, convoluted, counterintuitive and frustrating thing I’ve ever dealt with.

I’ll stick with my iPhone. So easy even an idiot like me can master everything in it in the time it takes me to eat a slice of pizza.

I love my smartphone. It’s replaced everything else in my life except people and music gear.

It’s replaced-

My computer
    My camera
    My video camera
    My handheld recorder
    My notepad
    My flashlight
    My datebook
    My address book
    My calendar
    My wall clock
    My alarm clock
    My Walkman
    My MP3 player
    My portable DVD player
    My entire reference library, including dictionary, translation dictionaries, thesaurus, encyclopedia, you name it.
    My entire CD and record collection

It tracks all my fitness. Walks. Hiking. Bike rides.

It’s a DB meter, it’s an altimeter, it has every conversion chart known to man at a touch, it’s got my periodic table, my Nav system, everything.

I have an app that uses the camera that I can aim at a building, draw a line from top to bottom with my finger, and it tells me how tall it is. It will also do width. Works on doorways, furniture, all kinds of crap.

I can access any news service, world wide, instantly.

I shop with it. I make dinner reservations or order takeout online. I confer with my doctors and fill prescriptions. I watch TV and movies and YouTube.

I book trips and flights and hotel rooms from wherever I happen to be standing.

Since I can’t play live, I can broadcast live stream performances without any other gear and get paid instantly through PayPal and Venmo. I can then transfer that money directly to my accounts. Where I can use it to pay my bills, all with my phone.

And there’s much, much more. And it fits in my pocket and goes with me everywhere. The whole world. In my pocket.

Old and out of touch people freak out cause it cost me $800. For a phone. But it’s not just a phone. Everything it’s replaced would cost so much more, and take up so much more space. I’d need to buy an extra house to store all the equipment it would take to do everything my phone does, without my phone.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    LAPlayer, ponce, loopfinding and 7 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.