Got my first Fender tele, a few questions!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by mrwasitcoat, Jun 20, 2021.

1. mrwasitcoat

mrwasitcoat TDPRI Member

Hi there

Finally treated myself to a player series Tele in butterscotch blonde, it's great. I'm 50 and have wanted one since I was 13!

I'm using a Fender modelling AMP. A friend tells me it means I'm not really hearing the Tele as it should be, I should buy a valve amp. I use clean, blues, rockabilly and classic rock tones. Any opinions appreciated!

I have a strat and acoustic on the wall. The guitar wall hooks are standard but they don't fit the Tele, which must be narrower at the tuning end. Have others experienced / overcome this?

I bend my strings a lot, so not surprised I have tuning to do. I had been reading these forums for a while and I have seen posts like "locking nuts means a fender doesn't go out of tune". Is this something I can buy?

Thanks all

Hey_you, skunqesh, JL_LI and 5 others like this.
  2. smoothrecluse

smoothrecluse Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Congrats on the new guitar!

If you’re using a Fender modeling amp, then it should sound close enough to a tube/valve amp to get the characteristic telecaster sounds. It might not have the same pick/volume dynamics though. I like both, and small tube amps are fun.

Most wall hangers can accommodate a Telecaster. Can the hooks swivel so that they hold the headstock? You may have to bend the prongs a little bit.

Installing a locking nut on a guitar without a Floyd Rose tremolo seems criminal. You have to modify and drill the neck to install them too. You can try lubricating the nut slots with a mix of Vaseline and graphite, and make sure that you don’t have too many wraps on your tuning posts.

skunqesh, vhilts1, JL_LI and 3 others like this.
  3. Fenderbaum

Fenderbaum TDPRI Member

I bend as well, and i have great tuning stability. Check your nut for binding.

4. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

congrats. I too waited too long. Now I rarely use anything else. A Gretsch hollow for variety.

I don't have locking tuners, but the consensus seems to be that they are very much worth the install.

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. BFcaster

BFcaster Tele-Meister

Welcome!
    Much to cover on that first post, but here's my take on it.
    I don't think a modeling amp will do you wrong. Just within the past few months i got into modeling software (Amplitude 5 for some home-recording) and I like the sounds I'm getting since I don't have some of the amps featured. I have a Fender Hot Rod DeVille tube amp for example, but I can get more options from modeling.
    As for hanging a Tele, my personal opinion is beware~! One of mine, after being hung on there for years, slipped off in the middle of the night with a crash! My two Teles no longer hang!
    As for locking tuners, I am not a fan. No need since there's no tremolo/Bigsby, and even on my guitars that have them (Strat and a Gretsch) I don't use locking tuners. String bends on a 9.5 radius shouldn't really be a problem for staying in tune. Make sure they are wound around the tuning post correctly to prevent slip, and that there is no binding at the nut and things should be fine. You'll know, because as you tune a string you'll hear a 'ping' from a string. That means it's grabbing, and should be addressed.

vhilts1 and mrwasitcoat like this.
  6. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

HNGD!! And this:

Noting that different amps sound different when using different guitars...many "different"s there.
    It is a long, deep, and expensive rabbit hole;).

7. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

The OP mentioned locking nuts, not locking tuners. I think both are a complete waste of time. A locking nut will significantly devalue your guitar, and they look hideous. OTOH, locking tuners can be completely non-invasive and reversible. They don't add tuning stability, IMO, but they can make stringing the guitar easier for some players. I love the vintage slotted tuners and haven't ever considered changing them.

A good set-up with a properly cut nut should solve any tuning problems.

8. pbenn

pbenn Tele-Afflicted

Congrats.
    For tuning stability, maybe your new strings aren't stretched yet. Stretch them. What size are you using? IME Teles like 11's, or at least 10's. How much string on the post? Probably videos on this, but two winds on the Big E and A, three on the D, four on the G, five on the B, and the whole string on the little E.

Nickel strings seem to sound best and last longest. You have probably noticed you don't need all the treble your instrument can provide.

TelEBaby123 likes this.
  9. BFcaster

BFcaster Tele-Meister

Ah, locking nuts, not tuners...yes, that would be criminal indeed!!

10. DLReed

DLReed Tele-Meister

Great new guitar. I have Player Tele as well and it stays in tune quite well even with some bends thrown in there. I have experimented with string gauge and have landed back on 9-42. With a bit of lighter touch, bending and sliding into notes is comfortable.
    I have one Tele hanging on the wall. It's on a StringSwing brand hanger and I just have to rotate the hanger about 30 degrees to the left to get the headstock to catch.

mrwasitcoat likes this.
  11. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

mrwasitcoat likes this.
  12. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

New guitar, new strings.

They take awhile to break in and get stretched and set.

Your guitar will stay in tune, no worries.

:)

Telecaster88 likes this.
  13. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

I use String Swings, too. You can squeeze the two sides together easily for a snugger fit.

smoothrecluse likes this.
  14. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

@mrwasitcoat - a Tele should stay in tune pretty well with the standard tuners; as mentioned check the nut to see if any strings are binding. If there isn't any binding and you're still bending it out of tune you might consider using a heavier gauge of string; the Player series comes with a .009-.042 set, you might want to go up to a .010-.046 set.

Locking tuners (as mentioned you don't need a locking nut - that is part of a Floyd Rose type of tremolo system) might help a little bit with stability, particularly if like me you sometimes end up with sloppy winds on the unwound strings, but that won't address any issues you might be having with the nut or with the bridge saddles. Locking tuners will typically make for quicker string changes.

TelEBaby123 likes this.
  15. mrwasitcoat

mrwasitcoat TDPRI Member

Wow thanks folks, this forum is amazing, can't belive I got so many replies so fast

The tuning. I will just keep everything as it is as the guitar has that lovely newness about it. As I do bend a lot, I will go up a size in strings when these needs changing. Had it 6 weeks now so probs has settled down as much as its going to

Good to know my mustang lt25 modelling amp seems to be good enough. What surprised me is that "classic rock" sounds very different with my tele compared to my squire strat. Is "fender clean" the best one for the most natural tone?

Oh, and if you live in the UK, you can beware! I ordered mine from a German shop. I then had UPS at the door wanting £139 in import tax as we've left the EU. Rejected delivery and bought it local.

Currently my rejected tele is in the Netherlands being prepared to be sent back to me, not the shop. I won't get a refund until it finally gets back to the shop. I'm getting tax demands through the post.

Will have to start being careful where I buy stuff from!

16. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Afflicted

Congrats and welcome!

One of the best things about Teles is they never go out of tune :). If yours has tuning instability something simple is off, the nut or the windings etc.

A Tele sounds, beautifully, like a Tele through any amp you plug it into. A low end Tele through a cheap Champion 20 still sounds remarkably like the heart of rock n roll. Can't go wrong.

RobRiggs and JL_LI like this.
  17. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Congrats! You don't need no steenkin' lockin' nuts or tuners to stay in tune. Your nut slots likely need to be polished and set up for your preferences. Best to have a GOOD tech do it, but it can be done yourself.

18. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

Check the nut or have a competent tech do it. The nut slots need to be wide enough that the string slips through easily but not so wide that it wanders. The nut slot also needs to be cut deep enough that the strings don't go sharp when fretted. The nut slots also need to be vertical and parallel so a string doesn't get hung up. There's plenty on this forum if you search about cutting a nut but if you don't have the tools AND knowhow, it's a job best left to someone who does.

Lack of knowhow and tools can both be addressed. Ask the tech who does the setup on your new guitar to explain you what he's doing and show you how to do it yourself. Then you can decide what you want to take on next time and buy suitable tools.

BTW, welcome and congrats on your new guitar. Don't obsess about your amp until you've progressed beyond what you need from it. You'll then have a much better idea what your next amp should be.

black_doug, Boreas and Telecaster88 like this.
  19. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Congrats. The pictures are not loading.:D

RobRiggs likes this.
  20. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Afflicted

Welcome! Owing a valve amp is nice. Not needed of course. I have a Boss K50ii as my 1st amp. A great amp. Cheap too. Bought a '65 PRRI LE next. Lot of nice sounds out of that amp. For overkill, I have a REEVES C225 full stack. Been playing through it a bunch lately!! (I have no neighbors) I just started playing guitar some 2.5 yrs now and had spent close to $14K on related stuff. Lovin it! :):twisted::p

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.