1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Got me some QuadBuckers!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Danomo, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

Stupid? Maybe, but I couldn't help myself.

I felt like I was looking at a Spinal Tap guitar, freaky switching.
    ZZ Ryder ME3. .
    The neck alone is worth it (24.75 jumbo frets, two things I usually don't like).
    I need to start taking before photos, this is after a good cleaning, new strings, switch repair, and quickie setup. GAS sated for now.

Attached Files:

2. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

Do you have a soundcloud or youtube link to those? I saw them on ebay once and thought hmmm, but couldn't bring myself to part with the cash. I would still like to hear them in action.

3. JReazor

JReazor Tele-Holic

That is absolutely ridiculous in most awesome way. I'd love to hear how it sounds.

4. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I hope you have a Peavey amp. You know, the ones that go up to 12.

5. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

I've owned a few sets of those -- they are sold under a number of brand names but are made in Korea by Artec to the best of my knowledge. They're mounted on a pcb board and have all the connections to the coils as solder points underneath. Very, very beefy sound with a lot of wiring opportunities but not great for cleans. It's kind of like a Dimarzio Super Distortion multiplied by 2. They are essentially two hot rail humbuckers linked in series. I still have an unused pair in my spares box actually. I like the look of them.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  6. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

df and JR,
    My Hello Kitty studio was recently remodeled into a nursery for my Grandson, but I'll try to get you the samples... Quite a chore as here's the switching setup:
    3 way toggle works like a Gibson, N, N+B, and B.
    Volume pot is P/P, pulling adds the middle pup.
    Tone pot is P/P, pulling splits N & B pickups.
    The variations are more distinct and useful than you'd think (much more than my Fender Marauder triplebucker in triplebucker mode).

wildschwein,
    The pickguard still had plastic under some screws and the neck overhang, so I removed it to clean it up, clean the pots, and clean some corroded guard screws (from sweat I think), and I saw the bottoms of the pups (should have taken a pic). The individual (not co-joined) four bobbins go all the way to the bottom of the pickup, and are ceramic as there is a magnet at the bottom of each pup inserted into the bottom of the bobbin. The bobbins are taller than most 'buckers I've seen... I'm trying to figure out where a pcb could be in this arrangement other than between the magnet and the iron blade core.

7. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

Like this -- the whole thing is mounted on a green pc board right?
    [​IMG]

8. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

That's a co-joined spindle, on these each spindle is individual down to the bottom, like this:

Attached Files:

9. ME262

ME262 Tele-Holic

Indeed! In the 1st pics hey look as if they have frets on them, thus enabling the player to play notes almost all the way down to the bridge!

10. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

My initial assessment was with the ancient 11's that were on it. After the clean and setup, the pup combinations became underwhelming. The best combination was with the quadbuckers split and the center pup added (all three positions). The only good Quadbucker setting was the neck with the center pup added. I also discovered the threeway had been rotated 90 degrees and was coming apart (japanese style box switch with tabs, easily repaired), and the jack had been tightened without removing it and was twisted and handing by single strands (also easily fixed). Were this something from the late 60's/early 70's... I may have kept it for vintage vibe, but being less than 10 years old, the honeymoon was over.

Tweaking and playing it for over a week, by the time I pulled the computer out to record some samples, I was already thinking it was trade time (which I did instead) I packed it up on Local Business Saturday and headed to my fav used shop (312 Vintage Guitars), and traded up for a Epi Viola bass he had marked down for the day.

11. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

Here it is, cleaned, polished frets, set and strung up with LaBella's.
    This is a keeper.

Attached Files:

12. drmcclainphd

drmcclainphd Tele-Afflicted

That's what I put on the FTLecaster, do a search on here under that name for pics.

Here's a recent experimental/progressive piece I did with it, playing arund with pitch, tone and timing dissonances:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52918987/4%20xyritari.wav

I also put one in an Epi LP Jr. Awesome, massive sound. I love these pickups. I'm trading my stock of bullet end slides for a headless from Ed Roman's, and the last quad I have is going into it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.