1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Got me a vintage Vox project ('64 AC30)

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by skeksis, Jan 26, 2010.

1. skeksis

skeksis Tele-Afflicted

Well - for better or worse, I bought a new project yesterday... I'm very excited, tempered with a fair amount of damn! what have I done? :)

It's a fairly rough, filthy, mostly complete late 1964 or early 1965 AC30/6TB, pulled out of deep storage. Gray panel with treble/bass/cut tone controls, but brown diamond grill. Original silver frame bulldogs. All original transformers. Don't know if the tubes are original (mostly old Brimar & Mullard). Probably paid too much, but I know there's a ton of folks who'd trip over themselves for a JMI AC30 so can re-sell if needed without taking much of a hit.

There's good news & bad news:

Good news is that after a half day of cleaning and testing, it works! I haven't really pushed it at all, but the speakers sound great (healthy). Cabinet's in very good shape though the covering has some stains and the lower corner protectors are busted/gone. Looks like filter caps have been done at some point in the last 15 years, but I need to check values against a schematic.

Bad news is 1) it's missing both rear panels (damn) and 2) it got dripped on in storage, mainly above the fuse holder, and switch. So the switch and fuse holder are totally rusted rotten (switch is broken). The first few pots in that area (cut, bass) were totally seized -- but with some pot cleaner & patience I got them loose and they actually work just fine. So I'll probably need to replace the fuse holder and switch.... Jumpered in modern parts to test it, brought it up real slow with a variac and SS rectifier - and what do you know, it works! It's also missing one handle.

So here's a question - where do you think I can order rear panels? Any reason to replace the other components (like the switch) with vintage parts, or just quality modern parts?

Keep in mind that this isn't a top-tier collector piece, but it could be a pretty darn good JMI AC30 for me (or whoever) if I get together the right pieces.

ANYWAY, just had to share - I'll post more pics as this evolves.

Attached Files:

2. Kerry Vance

Kerry Vance Tele-Meister

What a great find. They are incredible amps and can be used for all kinds of music genres. Kid Ramos gets great blues tones. Buddy Miller great country tones. Not to mention all of the great British invasion recordings done with 'em. Good for you. I'd love to have one.

3. timmer114

timmer114 Tele-Holic

She's a real beauty! Regardless of condition, it's wonderful to see a piece of history dug out, made to work and being played again. The amp gods are smiling on you =)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.